Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just woken up with a massive allergic reaction...huge big welts all over my body, itching loads...should i be worried?

Looked it up on internet and it sounds like hives. Dunno what to do - should I call NHS Direct?

Don't think I'm going to be able to go to work tomorrow. Feel a bit strange too - wheezing, etc. :(

Any advice?

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
got any piriton ?

cold water bath may help with the irritation, but piriton should take it down

not a doc (as you know!) but recent similar experience at home and thats what doc suggested and did the trick

is it very marked outline - bit like a map of a coastline - and raised ?

no idea on the wheezing - totally uneducated scaremongering coming up - I would be pretty wary of that in case there's some allergy based swelling interfering that might get worse ? I'd be tempted to get down to casualty if I thought there was any risk of that

NHS direct are pretty good, but the wait time can be long for the call back I've found

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not eaten anyything really, so I don't think it's a food thing. My whole body is covered in angry red welts, I'd take a pic if my camera battery was charged up - it's quite spectacular!!

Bit worried to be honest...will call NHS Direct now.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
[[cbr*faerie]] said:
Yep, I look like one of those maps of the world, in relief :lol:
Yep - that's the one

Piriton - so long as you're OK with antihistamine - bet you it starts to go down v quick once you pop them

Be v surprised if anything to worry about - just so long as breathing is OK - based on our experience, but better to listen to NHS Direct than us :)

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just called NHS Direct - they're gonna call me back. I'm a bit concerned 'cos I'm on my own...been very stressed lately, just wondering if that's the reason, as I;ve not eaten anything that could have caused it. Gonna hunt for some anti-histamine too, see if that calms it down. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
[[cbr*faerie]] said:
Not eaten anyything really, so I don't think it's a food thing. My whole body is covered in angry red welts, I'd take a pic if my camera battery was charged up - it's quite spectacular!!

Bit worried to be honest...will call NHS Direct now.
Nice. :lol:

·
Registered
103 Posts
My daughter had Hives earlier in the year and it drove her nuts. Piriton helped with the itchies though.
Hope you're feeling better soon.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am now looking a lot less like a map specifically designed for a blind person, although I have some interesting scratches :eek: NHS Direct called me back at 4 in the morning and suggested I get some anti-histamine from the 24 hr supermarket...oh yeah, I'm really going to walk down Broad Street on my own at 4am to go to Tesco :rolleyes: Anyway, it did eventually go away by itself but gave me quite a scare.

Thanks for all the advice and kind words, I feel much better today, if a little tired and strung out. :)

Oh and by the way, Jean, you certainly live up to your name. :lol:

·
Registered
8,100 Posts
Don't worry get some piriton down you, go and speak to the pharmacist at Boots or similar they're a damn sight more knowledgeable than that bunch of tossers on NHS direct, in June I helped a mate fit our kitchen, we used Iroko (kin expensive hardwood) for the work tops and the sawdust gave me hives was bloody itchy for a week or too but had some anti histamine and it went away, also certain chemicals give me a rash too, have you seen Hitch with Will Smith? where he goes into a chemist cos his face has all puffed up?? well thats what I looked like :D

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
You're not putting (assuming you have one) those little fabric fresheners ie BOUNCE in your tumble dryer are you, I used to break out in a rash when my mum used to use them, I thought it was just me untill I went to work in Pontins and everybody came out in them so the laundry women had to stop using the stuff.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
not calling your housekeeping into question but it may be a reaction to dustmite droppings on your mattress (I have a dustmite allergy). I dyson my mattress every few months and flip it 2/3 times a year.
This may help if thats whats triggered your reaction ;)

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
[[cbr*faerie]] said:
I am now looking a lot less like a map specifically designed for a blind person, although I have some interesting scratches :eek: NHS Direct called me back at 4 in the morning and suggested I get some anti-histamine from the 24 hr supermarket...oh yeah, I'm really going to walk down Broad Street on my own at 4am to go to Tesco :rolleyes: Anyway, it did eventually go away by itself but gave me quite a scare.

Thanks for all the advice and kind words, I feel much better today, if a little tired and strung out. :)

Oh and by the way, Jean, you certainly live up to your name. :lol:
Yeah, sorry. I was pissed. Glad you're better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts