Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After posting some previous posts on here about lack of power in lower revs of my 1972 bay 2110cc motor - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196412&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 and then on to http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=197014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 and here's 1 from vzi

Spec:
82mm Crank
90.5 B&P's
044's 42x37 with Light P'n'P
120 Cam
40 DRLA's
SS 1 5/8" Header and 2 1/2" SS Turbo Muffler
Originally 009 dizzy

I just went out and spent about 30 mins putting in an old 034 vac can dizzy in place of the 009. Well to say the results were good would be an understatement...the van now starts on the button, it pulls from any revs and it just feels alive compared to what it was and hopefully from what i've heard i should get better mpg aswell.

All i did was line the 1st notch on the pulley to the line case (7.5 degs ??)and adjusted the 034 dizzy to correct position and fired her up. I dropped the idle speed down on the carbs and that's it. I only managed to make the engine pink slighty by flooring it briefly in 4th on a slight incline at around 20mph (That was purely for test purposes)!

I'd like to thank those that helped me with my queries and also those that told me i it was down to the fact i couldn't drive :incheek: !

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hi Rory,glad to see all is well.My pulley only has one notch which i know is t.d.c (using d.t.i on no.1 cyl).Yours being slightly different will probably be o.k but it may be worth taking no.1 plug out for a quick check)Motors set exactly to tdc tend to start easier.

Ade.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK will check it... so basically i just set it the same but with the dip mark on the outside edge of the pulley, to the left of the 1 if have set it to?, lined up with the case line. Would that mean that i'm retarding the ignition? I was gonna email you ade... Have you thought about a dual van can dizzy off the later buses for your turbo setup? They're meant to give boost retard as well as giving you easier starting and better mpg??? Think that's the way i'll end up going.

How's the ghia coming along - have you settled into the new abode yet?

Rory :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts