21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

·
Registered
27,619 Posts
Thanks for the link Ian..:D ........ have you used one of these yourself mate?

And SAM..... sorry mate I missed your post :eek::hug:
yes i have one and ive used it a lot in my racecar rebuild,everything from brackets to water/meth tank ,its good to about 1mm thick steel and about 600mm long,im sure if you needed longer you could easily copy and make a longer one.

·
Registered
15,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
yes i have one and ive used it a lot in my racecar rebuild,everything from brackets to water/meth tank ,its good to about 1mm thick steel and about 600mm long,im sure if you needed longer you could easily copy and make a longer one.
do you reckon it could take 1.2mm? or would that be a tad too far?

and thanks again for your input, I appreciate it :)

·
Registered
15,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The one in tonybmw's thread on retro rides is a good place to start.

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/65793
Did I say this guy was awesome? :D

i have used it to bend 1.5mm angles to fit wood burner register plates to at the full 600mm long ,so yes it will :)
Great stuff, thanks again Ian for taking the time out to input into here:D

not a bender, but just seen this on FB, guy's doing similar work on a '60 impala

https://www.facebook.com/smithysbodynpaint/
oh im gonna be all over that thread then, the 60 impala is pretty close to my 59 Biscayne......... hopefully it'll have some of the stuff I needs to be making...thanks for the link matey :D

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I've got one of the cheapo 600mm folders & it works great!
Also got a home made 1m one I bought on eBay & it's just as good:)
I bought a shrinker / stretcher from frost & that's worth it's weight in gold, one of those tools that when you need it you'll wonder how you managed without!

If you go onto rods n sods garage section & follow the thread for the 37 pick up you'd be amazed at what you can do with a sheet of steel:eek:
Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
15,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
DONT look at the garage builds :lol:
I wont :lol::lol:

I've got one of the cheapo 600mm folders & it works great!
Also got a home made 1m one I bought on eBay & it's just as good:)
I bought a shrinker / stretcher from frost & that's worth it's weight in gold, one of those tools that when you need it you'll wonder how you managed without!

If you go onto rods n sods garage section & follow the thread for the 37 pick up you'd be amazed at what you can do with a sheet of steel:eek:
Cheers
Kev
cheers for the info Kev ..I shall check that thread out:D

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Oh and don't underestimate what you can do with a set of flanging pliers! I use a large pair made for metalwork for long runs and a smaller pair of "glass pliers" for everything else, then planish the edge against a square block to neaten it up.
I also use a pair of mole grips with a short piece of round bar welded across the top jaw. This gives a rounded radius.
The real beauty of this method is that you can do curved folds really neatly.
And you get to hammer things.
I like hammering :)

·
Registered
15,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Oh and don't underestimate what you can do with a set of flanging pliers! I use a large pair made for metalwork for long runs and a smaller pair of "glass pliers" for everything else, then planish the edge against a square block to neaten it up.
I also use a pair of mole grips with a short piece of round bar welded across the top jaw. This gives a rounded radius.
The real beauty of this method is that you can do curved folds really neatly.
And you get to hammer things.
I like hammering :)
Thanks for the tips mate:D

i guess i am gonna be busy ordering "stuff" when payday comes around.... i like ordering "stuff" :D

·
Registered
15,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

·
Registered
15,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
my sheet metal cutter

im gonna be buying a lot more gear soon,just gotta hide it from the wife:lol:

I love how he makes his own spot weld drill, and explains and shows how to do it...and I gotta find me some of that zintec metal sheet he uses too....
an utterly excellent thread,probably one of the best ive read,along with Molers build thread on here...

·
Registered
27,619 Posts
im gonna be buying a lot more gear soon,just gotta hide it from the wife:lol:

I love how he makes his own spot weld drill, and explains and shows how to do it...and I gotta find me some of that zintec metal sheet he uses too....
an utterly excellent thread,probably one of the best ive read,along with Molers build thread on here...
i use zintec sheet all the time i buy it in 8x4 sheets

·
Registered
15,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
i use zintec sheet all the time i buy it in 8x4 sheets
hopefully I can find a supplier local....but no matter what, I will be using it from now on

21 - 39 of 39 Posts