Volkszone Forum banner

Home Metal workers...... home made kit..

4K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  spelllbound 
#1 ·
Looks like i am going to be possibly making my own panels for one of my yank tanks.... and at the moment i am thinking of metal benders.....

i fancy making my own bending machine and wondered if anyone on here had done it and had any input/ideas/tips/tricks they could/would kindly pass on?

Ive seen the vid's on the likes of youtube etc but would like some "real" world feedback rather than just rely on a video off the net....

I am pretty much thinking of using angle iron with nice straight and sharp edges......

I'd appreciate any and all input

many thanks in advance

Mario

#8 ·
nope no press... it will have to be manual.....good job i need the exercise :D

The one in tonybmw's thread on retro rides is a good place to start.

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/65793
thanks for the link, i shall have a butchers at that:D

I have two lengths of angle iron with a few bolts down that i use as a brake, and just knock it over with a hammer to the right angle. But my fabrication does all seem to have a 'rustic' feel.
i am thinking of a full hinging one as i dont want any hammer marks on some of the panels i am looking at doing.....plus i have some box section to make....

If I still had access to the machine shop I would be designing and folding all your metal for you mate. It's rare I get the chance to get anything these days even for myself.

All the best with it though bud, it's a fair bit of work you be got there.
cheers dude...... and this is before i go into the main floor and sills:lol::crazy:

If only you were closer! Lol
:lol::lol: it is a real arse living so far away at times...:rolleyes: but i will get there with it:D

#15 ·
this is mine, home made by a guy I bought a beetle off.

it's around 3' long and very very heavy duty. I've mounted it to a steel bench I had and use it all the time. As well as bending 90 degrees, I use the top edge as a form to hammer on.

2 things to consider, idealy it needs to be able to bend beyond 90 so that you can get a true right angle, and the longer you make it, the thicker the webs need to be or in the middle they will bend and you will only get a sharp bend at the edges and the middle will be radiused

#31 ·
I've got one of the cheapo 600mm folders & it works great!
Also got a home made 1m one I bought on eBay & it's just as good:)
I bought a shrinker / stretcher from frost & that's worth it's weight in gold, one of those tools that when you need it you'll wonder how you managed without!

If you go onto rods n sods garage section & follow the thread for the 37 pick up you'd be amazed at what you can do with a sheet of steel:eek:
Cheers
Kev

#33 ·
Oh and don't underestimate what you can do with a set of flanging pliers! I use a large pair made for metalwork for long runs and a smaller pair of "glass pliers" for everything else, then planish the edge against a square block to neaten it up.
I also use a pair of mole grips with a short piece of round bar welded across the top jaw. This gives a rounded radius.
The real beauty of this method is that you can do curved folds really neatly.
And you get to hammer things.
I like hammering :)

#37 ·
im gonna be buying a lot more gear soon,just gotta hide it from the wife:lol:

I love how he makes his own spot weld drill, and explains and shows how to do it...and I gotta find me some of that zintec metal sheet he uses too....
an utterly excellent thread,probably one of the best ive read,along with Molers build thread on here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.