Volkszone Forum banner

181 - 200 of 212 Posts

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,539 Posts
Exchanged at lunchtime and completing tomorrow. We had the keys today to clean, rubbish all over the floors, place was thick with grime, dust and god knows what. We would never have been able to move our stuff in tomorrow as it was. Had the inlaws helping us, I think they regretted volunteering to clean the kitchen when they saw it :oops:

Big thanks to Gareth for his help and advice too!
You’re very welcome! Glad you got it through.

Happy New Home weekend!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Exchanged at lunchtime and completing tomorrow. We had the keys today to clean, rubbish all over the floors, place was thick with grime, dust and god knows what. We would never have been able to move our stuff in tomorrow as it was. Had the inlaws helping us, I think they regretted volunteering to clean the kitchen when they saw it :oops:

Big thanks to Gareth for his help and advice too!
Great news, and handy to be able to get in beforehand, especially with so much cleaning to do. Our was not filthy, but it had not been cleaned very well, which was disappointing. In contrast, we spent a long time after our old house was emptied making sure it was clean for the new owners. Hope all is going well with the move today.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
11,206 Posts
Well we're in and the to do list keeps growing! Kids seem happy which is the main thing. Knackered now, time for another beer

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Just had an email from the bloke who did the survey yesterday of the house we're buying. A bit of wear and tear and some damp. Damp was to be expected as most of it is a single skinned stone building.
Will see what else is in the full write up when it arrives in a couple of days.

·
Administrator
166,797 Posts
Just had an email from the bloke who did the survey yesterday of the house we're buying. A bit of wear and tear and some damp. Damp was to be expected as most of it is a single skinned stone building.
Fingers crossed for you dude. :)

·
11,206 Posts
Fingers crossed that's all, I'm sure they would have flagged anything major when they told you about the damp and wear and tear

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Its not looking good. :(
Full details in the survey just came through. All 138 pages of it.
Problem areas are chimneys need sorting, roofs will need replacing within next few years, eaves and sofits need doing, drainage needs sorting, cesspit is not up to code, electrics are classed as dangerous (plus theres 6 consumer units one for every area the house has been extended), damp in walls and floors, outside render needs redoing, conservatory leaks, upvc doors all at end of life etc etc. Garage and gas are good though.
Looking at possibly £20-30k or more of work.

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
3,331 Posts
If its the full on home buyers survey they can appear quite scary. Roofs needing replacing in a few years you must've had an idea about. Maybe use the survey as a tool to negotiate with and make it all work if its somewhere you really want to be.

Good luck with it:)

·
11,206 Posts
Have a chat with the guy that did the survey, most of what they write is arse covering. My survey showed loads of things that needed doing, had a chat with the guy and he said if we did nothing the house would out live us. Survey on the last house said the roof would need replacing in the next few years, 10 years later all we'd done is replace a few broken tiles and a leak caused by storm damage just after Christmas.

We had damp on our survey, but the house as been shut up for 6 months or so with no airflow, no heating etc and the wettest winter in years. We had an issue with the drains, got those inspected and they showed 2 things to do, jetting 0-12 months and replace a pipe inside 5 years.

If you can pick up the phone to your surveryor, do it

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Most of the stuff on the list is just stuff that they recommend doing but are not considered to be serious or urgent.
They noted the outside drainage is at a shallow falls so the flow is quite slow, plus the rainwater drains into the cesspit instead of a soakaway. Some leaking guttering and downpipes (it was raining when the survey was done but not on the times it was viewed) so not difficult to fix. Some of the highest damp readings in walls were where the downpipes leaked.
The roof just has a few cracked concrete tiles and moss in the valleys from the look of it and as the chimneys were only inspected from the ground it looks like they're just guessing on the real condition. They look to have a few chunks of grass growing round the pots and missing mortar.
A few of the Upvc windows and doors had blown vacuums so condensation bewteen the two glass panes.

·
11,206 Posts
It doesn't sound like the end of the world then, maybe use it as leverage to get the price down a little?

Meanwhile my to do list in the pretty but knackered house growns longer every day 🤦‍♂️

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,539 Posts
It doesn't sound like the end of the world then, maybe use it as leverage to get the price down a little?

Meanwhile my to do list in the pretty but knackered house growns longer every day 🤦‍♂️
We didn't bother with a survey as we knew there was no prospect of a price reduction as the last buyer had tried that, and the house and garden were being sold as a development site so the price was based on the value of the land rather than the existing house. Nothing much came up on the lender's valuation, but we discovered after completing the following:

All foul and surface water drains had collapsed
Dry rot / extensive woodworm in roof structure / ceiling joists
Defective electrics to the point of being so dangerous our electricial disconnected the installation at the meter.
Boiler was condemned and disconnected by the first plumber who looked at it
Structural issues with several openings in the exterior walls
Full re-roof needed

This is not a conclusive list. :LOL:

Ideally it needed knocking down and a new house building, but we didn't have the funds to do that. After 14 months of DIY our contractor finally started this week to deal with the replacement of 80% of the roof structure. It's nice to see things happening at a faster rate than I can work at!

No regrets. :)

Good luck with yours!

181 - 200 of 212 Posts