Volkszone Forum banner

201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
The lady who owns the house we're looking at buying is a bit put off when we told her to get the cesspit emptied (as its so full its backing up the inlet pipes) as she hoped she wouldn't need to before she moved.
Its a bit like handing back a rental motorhome with a full crapper. :rolleyes:

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
3,331 Posts
The lady who owns the house we're looking at buying is a bit put off when we told her to get the cesspit emptied (as its so full its backing up the inlet pipes) as she hoped she wouldn't need to before she moved.
Its a bit like handing back a rental motorhome with a full crapper. :rolleyes:
Its just a game that people play, I'm not saying its right but theres lots of people who wouldn't empty that pit with their money unless they had to.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Had a builder look at the house and he says theres not really much that needs doing. The vendor has knocked a decent chunk of cash off the price which will cover the work.
Only real bit of bother is going to be re rendering the wall above the conservatory as access isn't easy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its not looking good. :(
Full details in the survey just came through. All 138 pages of it.
Problem areas are chimneys need sorting, roofs will need replacing within next few years, eaves and sofits need doing, drainage needs sorting, cesspit is not up to code, electrics are classed as dangerous (plus theres 6 consumer units one for every area the house has been extended), damp in walls and floors, outside render needs redoing, conservatory leaks, upvc doors all at end of life etc etc. Garage and gas are good though. Actually utilities there are quite affordable, my opinion.
Looking at possibly £20-30k or more of work.
£20-30k is a good worth for the amount of work you stated in your post. On the other hand, it will take lots of time.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
True. Sounds like its nearly a grand to do.
That seems a bit excessive! Ours has apparently not been emptied for ages, but talking to our neighbour, she has hers done every year, but it costs her only £165 each time. We are going to get ours done on the same schedule I think.

In theory, if they are working well and you are really careful about what goes down the drain, they shouldn't ever need emptying, but most we have spoken to say they have theirs pumped out regularly. If it's backed up, it definitely needs doing...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Had a builder look at the house and he says theres not really much that needs doing. The vendor has knocked a decent chunk of cash off the price which will cover the work.
Only real bit of bother is going to be re rendering the wall above the conservatory as access isn't easy.
Sounds like it's a goer then. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Still waiting on solicitors to get their arses in gear. Everything has slowed to a crawl. :(
Our buyers took 8 weeks to decide to get a survey done and its taken another three and a half weeks to get any info off them about what the survey found. They now want full electrical and gas surveys done plus are going to organise a builder to come round and quote for the work needed. They originally stated they ideally wanted in by the end of May but they now don't seem to be in any rush at all. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,109 Posts
They now want full electrical and gas surveys done plus are going to organise a builder to come round and quote for the work needed.
This will be to haggle a discount. 1st sale I did they were quoted £5k for full rewire. The place didn’t need rewiring, it just didn’t meet current regs (as they are always changing anyway). 2nd sale (different property) they were claiming £600 quid of electrical work needed doing and wanted a discount for it. I got it done for £60 and gave them the receipt. Basically I refused both, if they have plans to develop the property or have over bid themselves, it’s on them.

201 - 212 of 212 Posts