Volkszone Forum banner
221 - 240 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
About 5 months for us too, although to be honest we were not in a hurry as we wanted to move as near to the end of the school year as possible. Our solicitor was really busy and a bit slow because of that, but also responsive when we needed her to be. Our buyers' solicitor on the other hand spent a long time doing not very much.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
We accepted their offer on 24th March so coming on for 3 months now.
We accepted an offer on the 25th November last year. Almost 7 months in and we still do not have a confirmed date for exchange and completion :oops::oops::oops::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
.... The whole process of moving house is long overdue an overhaul, it seems to be the most drawn out and painful experience I've ever had!
Ain't that the truth... :confused:

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
We finally got the survey report though as our buyers haven't been able to get a builder to come and look and quote for any work needed. Seems
It doesn't sound as bad as i was expecting. Going by the survey we had done on our future property which picked up every single tiny niggling thing i was expecting all sorts of petty silly stuff. He did say there was no water stopcock and then showed a picture of the cupboard under the sink where it was visible.:LOL:

Our buyers want to come and look at the garden to plan on what needs doing (they viewed the house and made the offer towards the end of march and we haven't heard from them since) as "its the biggest job they'll need to do". They can't come and look until mid July though as they're busy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Waiting around for an electrician to come and check over all the electrics. Its amazing how much stuff needs removing to access the sockets in the house.
Looks like our buyers are aren't in a rush anymore.
Their solicitors have been trying to get the contracts to them but its been 2 weeks since they've returned an email or phone message. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
House failed due to an old fusebox not being up to current code, a broken wire somewhere in the ring main and no earth rod (that he could find). Eon didn't say anything about it being missing when the new meter was installed a few years back which i'd assume they would have noted. :unsure:

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
3,292 Posts
House failed due to an old fusebox not being up to current code, a broken wire somewhere in the ring main and no earth rod (that he could find). Eon didn't say anything about it being missing when the new meter was installed a few years back which i'd assume they would have noted. :unsure:
I think the need for Earth rods is a fairly new requirement and not 100% sure its actually regulation yet??? So if your fuse board is old I wouldn't really expect one. I'm not a sparks but am building trade so only work alongside the sparks.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Some of the work on the list comes under the urgent action section (fusebox not up to IP and Fire protection standards) and they could come and do the work on January 19th. :ROFLMAO:
I'm sure thats a typo unless they're really, really busy. :rolleyes:
Will have to see what the buyers say.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Looks like this move may not go ahead unless everyone gets their arses in gear. :(
The sellers of the house we want have already signed contracts on their new one, paid a deposit and have a move in date of the 16th of July (just over 3 weeks away). We've got until then or she's putting it back on the market. Sounds like they must have the money to buy their new one without needing the cash from the sale.

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
3,292 Posts
Looks like this move may not go ahead unless everyone gets their arses in gear. :(
The sellers of the house we want have already signed contracts on their new one, paid a deposit and have a move in date of the 16th of July (just over 3 weeks away). We've got until then or she's putting it back on the market. Sounds like they must have the money to buy their new one without needing the cash from the sale.
I see what you're saying but if thats her position she's just taking a step backwards re marketing unless she thinks she's going to get a lot more money for it 🤞

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
...... a move in date of the 16th of July (just over 3 weeks away). We've got until then or she's putting it back on the market. Sounds like they must have the money to buy their new one without needing the cash from the sale.
The way property is selling at the moment, i would get a 'bridge loan' & still go ahead, if possible? You might even end up quids in, unless your home has a very niche market appeal.

Good look.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
The way property is selling at the moment, i would get a 'bridge loan' & still go ahead, if possible? You might even end up quids in, unless your home has a very niche market appeal.

Good look.
We've tried getting a bridging loan and have been turned down by everyone. Will see how it goes over the next week.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,706 Posts
Houses sell to two types of people.

The first (and sadly most prevalent) type expect things to be 100%, generally because they’re clueless. These people often have nothing whatsoever in reserve financially, are entirely reliant on the opinions of experts, and have no ability to discern between jobs that actually need doing, and those that are just being highlighted as arse-covering. They often end up offering/paying more for a property, but are a nightmare of indecision to deal with.

The second type are pragmatic, practical, understand both the market, how a house is physically constructed and are often well connected in “the trades”. These people are more likely to have either cash reserves, or the practical abilities/contacts to be much less fazed by any issues that arise in searches/surveys. They’re a lot less common though.

It’s often better to accept a slightly lower offer from the second type, than enter into any dealings with the first.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Houses sell to two types of people.

The first (and sadly most prevalent) type expect things to be 100%, generally because they’re clueless. These people often have nothing whatsoever in reserve financially, are entirely reliant on the opinions of experts, and have no ability to discern between jobs that actually need doing, and those that are just being highlighted as arse-covering. They often end up offering/paying more for a property, but are a nightmare of indecision to deal with.

The second type are pragmatic, practical, understand both the market, how a house is physically constructed and are often well connected in “the trades”. These people are more likely to have either cash reserves, or the practical abilities/contacts to be much less fazed by any issues that arise in searches/surveys. They’re a lot less common though.

It’s often better to accept a slightly lower offer from the second type, than enter into any dealings with the first.
We had a choice of 3 buyers (2 of which were cash buyers) all offering the asking price. As ever..

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Seems the buyers solicitors have still not done any of the conveyancing searches. Sounds like they were waiting for the buyers to tell them to do them, since march. :rolleyes:
I need to sort out getting my bug transported down there and am getting quotes around the £3-500 mark. I could hire a trailer up here for £75 for 2 days, drive it down one day and drive back up here the next to return the trailer but not sure i'm up to 14 hours driving in 2 days.

·
Registered
354 Posts
We have just started down the road of purchasing our first house. The road seems long, full of expensive obstacles but hopefully we can get the house we want.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
We have just started down the road of purchasing our first house. The road seems long, full of expensive obstacles but hopefully we can get the house we want.
Good luck. Fingers crossed for you. Gotta say, buying a house is possibly the most stressful thing we've ever done. Seems you have pretty much zero control over anything that goes on.

221 - 240 of 262 Posts