Volkszone Forum banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
3,320 Posts
Theres a few in the running but everything is selling so quick they've had offers accepted before we've even managed to view.
Its a bit like that round us and probably everywhere else, even the dearer stuff is flipping quick! There was semi detached round the corner from us, a nice Semi/good size 375K and went within 2 days, madness really, barely gives folk chance to have a proper look and make a rationale decision:yawn:

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
11,179 Posts
We had a look at a house and I'd only just stepped through the front door and the estate agent told me that I'd have to make an offer during the viewing if we wanted it. It was a brief viewing after she said that :lol:

It's looking like we're moving w/c 12th, I should really start packing :eek:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
We had a look at a house and I'd only just stepped through the front door and the estate agent told me that I'd have to make an offer during the viewing if we wanted it. It was a brief viewing after she said that :lol:

It's looking like we're moving w/c 12th, I should really start packing :eek:
Nice one, looks like we will be moving that week too, all being well. We are in a strange limbo at the moment, last week everything was ready to go, and now we can't seem to get a decent update on progress. Our solicitor is waiting on the lower chain, and we're waiting on our agent to get information out of the lower chain's agent, and all the while we are having to talk to lots of removals companies as their slots are filling up fast.

It'll feel a lot better once we have a fixed completion date, can book the removals and sort out all the details.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm still stuck in limbo. House sold and buyer getting anxious, House we are buying can't find anything to move to and I can't find any alternative. The only house's coming to the market round here are newly build rabbit hutches in area's of town we won't entertain. I have even considered massively upping the price limit but it makes no difference.
Due to the building of the Hinkley Point power station house prices have been pushed up to crazy levels by investors wanting houses of multiple occupancies for renting out. Many are getting sold without viewing by people from outside the area.
I am so frustrated at a lack of progress. The only silver lining is if I lose my buyer I can resell at the drop of a hat

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
We've not found a house with the perfect balance of interior vs outdoor space.
Found a great house with lovely interior, great sized airy rooms with views out across the hills but the garden was literally tiny with a small single garage and no space to build bigger.

There was also another at the same price with tiny pokey rooms, small windows, no view and a new housing estate on 3 sides but came with large grounds with a hay barn, double garage, workshop and a 60ft x 15ft stable block that had permission to be built as holiday lets.

Combining the two together would be perfect.:rolleyes:

·
11,179 Posts
We were conscious that we were struggling to find something we really liked as well. We looked at houses that were out of our price range and sounded out the estate agents to how a bid would be taken before wasting anyone's time going to view. Luckily one of the potentials could be within budget, so it's worth asking the question :)

Good luck with all the house sales, purchases and moving guys.

:hug:
Thanks Brian :hug:

Nice one, looks like we will be moving that week too, all being well. We are in a strange limbo at the moment, last week everything was ready to go, and now we can't seem to get a decent update on progress. Our solicitor is waiting on the lower chain, and we're waiting on our agent to get information out of the lower chain's agent, and all the while we are having to talk to lots of removals companies as their slots are filling up fast.

It'll feel a lot better once we have a fixed completion date, can book the removals and sort out all the details.
We were the same, no news then out of the blue how do you feel about exchanging and completing on the 6th. Yes to exchanging, but no to completing on that date was our answer. Our buyers will be moving in with their parents for a week to give us chance to get everything sorted. Hang on in there!

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
and all the while we are having to talk to lots of removals companies as their slots are filling up fast.

I know it used to be the norm to move on a Friday (Is it still?), but recently I've noticed a few mid-week moves. A couple of weeks back, some friends moved on a Wednesday and yesterday someone down the street moved out/in.

Long ago we decided we couldn't be bothered moving again. We've got an architect coming round next week to discuss what we can and can't have for an extension.

There seems to be a load of nonsensical (to me) rules. We live on a corner plot. Our neighbours behind and adjoining us have built to within less than a metre of their boundaries, both of which butt up to other properties. We want to build at the side of ours, but can't go within 2m of the boundary, as there's a pavement and road.:confused:

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Thanks to lockdown/Covid19 and the plethora of TV programmes promoting Cornwall over the last 12 months, the housing crisis down here has been exasperated ten fold, it's become an absolute nightmare, aside from the stamp duty thing which has affected the market all over the country. People from other counties are buying up properties here without seeing them for over the asking price, in their droves, desperate to move to Cornwall. They're also taking rental properties without viewing, managing to secure them by offering 6-12 months rent in advance, pushing local families out of the running as they can't compete. The local facebook groups are full of people desperately looking for somewhere to live as their tenancies are coming to an end and there's 70-100 people applying for every rental property that comes on the market, that must be terrifying.

I've had 3 flyers through the door in the last week, two from estate agents and one from someone desperate to find a house in the area quickly as they're in a chain. The estate agents are saying that due to the lack of houses available on the market that people are scared to offer theirs for sale as they're worried they won't be able to find somewhere to buy or even rent temporarily whilst they look, which in itself increases the problem. New build estates are appearing here there and everywhere in what was beautiful countryside, but it's still not keeping up with demand. I've no idea where it'll end, but it's made me shelve any plans of moving in the next few years, i'm staying put!

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
Thanks to lockdown/Covid19 and the plethora of TV programmes promoting Cornwall over the last 12 months, the housing crisis down here has been exasperated ten fold, it's become an absolute nightmare, aside from the stamp duty thing which has affected the market all over the country. People from other counties are buying up properties here without seeing them for over the asking price, in their droves, desperate to move to Cornwall. They're also taking rental properties without viewing, managing to secure them by offering 6-12 months rent in advance, pushing local families out of the running as they can't compete. The local facebook groups are full of people desperately looking for somewhere to live as their tenancies are coming to an end and there's 70-100 people applying for every rental property that comes on the market, that must be terrifying.

I've had 3 flyers through the door in the last week, two from estate agents and one from someone desperate to find a house in the area quickly as they're in a chain. The estate agents are saying that due to the lack of houses available on the market that people are scared to offer theirs for sale as they're worried they won't be able to find somewhere to buy or even rent temporarily whilst they look, which in itself increases the problem. New build estates are appearing here there and everywhere in what was beautiful countryside, but it's still not keeping up with demand. I've no idea where it'll end, but it's made me shelve any plans of moving in the next few years, i'm staying put!
We did a; we're bored, lockdown induced search of Cornwall. We saw some lovely properties but that's as far as we go. You'll be glad to hear, we're staying in Manchester. :D

·
11,179 Posts
I did a RM search as well, I started to type out the name of where we live and my fat finger selected Liskeard instead. I was surprised to find an amazing house in budget before I spotted my error :lol:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
I know it used to be the norm to move on a Friday (Is it still?), but recently I've noticed a few mid-week moves. A couple of weeks back, some friends moved on a Wednesday and yesterday someone down the street moved out/in.

Long ago we decided we couldn't be bothered moving again. We've got an architect coming round next week to discuss what we can and can't have for an extension.

There seems to be a load of nonsensical (to me) rules. We live on a corner plot. Our neighbours behind and adjoining us have built to within less than a metre of their boundaries, both of which butt up to other properties. We want to build at the side of ours, but can't go within 2m of the boundary, as there's a pavement and road.:confused:
Re moving dates - you can move when you like - we were trying to go on a Tuesday as it seemed the best option for us, but another link in the chain has suggested a Thursday. Our problem is that we are moving some distance, so the removal companies come the day before completion to empty our current house, then transport it all to the new early the next day. Also, as we are moving to a rural location on a single track road, they unload over two days so they can use either smaller vans for the whole thing, or get close with a big one and do the last bit with smaller. Anyone we use will therefore need a 3 day slot, and will have to possibly stay overnight.

Best so far, is one local to where we are going, who is going to come the day before with 3 luton vans, and may well drive back the same day, then just meet us at the new place at lunchtime on the day and unload. Just hope they don't get booked, as none will allow even a provisional booking until you have exchanged.

Last update from our agent was that our buyers' solicitor had not provided the contract for them to sign, but the buyer was going to physically collect it, sign and return. Hopefully that will be today and then we'll be ready to exchange ASAP and fix the date.

As for planning, not sure, but I understand that a few quid to Mr Jenrick should see you right (allegedly) :D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Just heard from our agent that our buyer has signed their contract and handed it to their solicitors, so everything is in place now. They have also agreed that 15th April is a go from them, and we have removals lined up for that date that we just need to confirm.

Hopefully there's nothing stopping exchange now, so we should be good to go very soon :):eek:

101 - 120 of 142 Posts