Volkszone Forum banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Excellent news :D

We're stuck in limbo again as the vendors solicitors seem unable to send the statutory decleration :rolleyes:
Thanks, and sorry to hear that solicitors are holding things up for you. We had a further update to say that the first time buyer at the bottom of the chain is going to transfer their deposit next week, and if they do, nothing can happen until then. Our agent has suggested that they pull their finger out and transfer now, so we shall see what happens.

I shall be very relieved when we have finally exchanged.

Our solicitors have been pretty good through all this, and got us to sign everything quite early on so we were ready, but I understand that they are all incredibly busy, so it's perhaps not surprising that the process is breaking down sometimes.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm going to question my seller's agent today to see if they are serious about selling. It's been 4 months now and they still can't find anything.
My buyer's mortgage offer is about to expire. the conveyancing on the sale of my house is all ready now as well. This is so stressful.
If this house falls through there is very little around to buy.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
11,179 Posts
Thanks, and sorry to hear that solicitors are holding things up for you. We had a further update to say that the first time buyer at the bottom of the chain is going to transfer their deposit next week, and if they do, nothing can happen until then. Our agent has suggested that they pull their finger out and transfer now, so we shall see what happens.

I shall be very relieved when we have finally exchanged.

Our solicitors have been pretty good through all this, and got us to sign everything quite early on so we were ready, but I understand that they are all incredibly busy, so it's perhaps not surprising that the process is breaking down sometimes.
I'm used to it by now from them, they've been useless :lol:

I can see why some people only move once or twice :D

I'm going to question my seller's agent today to see if they are serious about selling. It's been 4 months now and they still can't find anything.
My buyer's mortgage offer is about to expire. the conveyancing on the sale of my house is all ready now as well. This is so stressful.
If this house falls through there is very little around to buy.
I had a curious nose around Rightmove last night, and you're right, there's very little on the market right now!

We struggled to find somewhere we wanted as our search was quite narrow. We wanted an old house in the village we lived in, we looked elsewhere and kept coming back to where we already lived. I felt sorry for our first buyers as they were desperate to move in to our house, but moving in to rented made no sense to us

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I had a curious nose around Rightmove last night, and you're right, there's very little on the market right now!

We struggled to find somewhere we wanted as our search was quite narrow. We wanted an old house in the village we lived in, we looked elsewhere and kept coming back to where we already lived. I felt sorry for our first buyers as they were desperate to move in to our house, but moving in to rented made no sense to us
Round here, there's quite a lot coming on to the market, but it gets sold really quickly, so that probably has a similar effect. I have a few alerts configured on Rightmove, and there's a lot more activity on those over the last few weeks in the areas I am searching, but this may not be the same everywhere.

Looks like the bottom of our chain is going to transfer his money after the bank holiday, so we should see exchange early next week. Our removers have been really good and have promised to let us know if anyone wants to book "our" slot. I am hopeful that nothing much will happen over the weekend then we can firm it up upon exchange and then it's all systems go.

Going to move our folding camper to my parents' drive at the weekend as a first step...

·
Registered
371 Posts
I but moving in to rented made no sense to us
That's the problem we are faced with our sellers are elderly with no mortgage so renting will not suit them and I'm the same with no mortgage I'm not willing to fork out £800+ per month and face moving twice while I wait to find another place.
Property sells round here in the first few days or its stay on the market until you drop to silly money.

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
I felt sorry for our first buyers as they were desperate to move in to our house, but moving in to rented made no sense to us
I reckon with first time buyers you could sell your house to them and draw up an agreement whereby you rent it off them, covering the mortgage minimum, until yours becomes available. They have the knowledge that they own the house, you are effectively a first time (or cash) buyer.

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
On a building an extension note. We had an architect round yesterday. We're unlikely to get the extension we'd like and here's the killer, we could draw up plans which fall within the regulations and still have them knocked back for 'overdeveloping'!

I'm sure they make shit up to keep themselves in work!

·
Registered
17,064 Posts
On a building an extension note. We had an architect round yesterday. We're unlikely to get the extension we'd like and here's the killer, we could draw up plans which fall within the regulations and still have them knocked back for 'overdeveloping'!

I'm sure they make shit up to keep themselves in work!
Go for it anyway. If it gets rejected, the compromises may be palatable. :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Round here, there's quite a lot coming on to the market, but it gets sold really quickly, so that probably has a similar effect. I have a few alerts configured on Rightmove, and there's a lot more activity on those over the last few weeks in the areas I am searching, but this may not be the same everywhere.

Looks like the bottom of our chain is going to transfer his money after the bank holiday, so we should see exchange early next week. Our removers have been really good and have promised to let us know if anyone wants to book "our" slot. I am hopeful that nothing much will happen over the weekend then we can firm it up upon exchange and then it's all systems go.

Going to move our folding camper to my parents' drive at the weekend as a first step...
Had confirmation today that the deposit has been paid and cleared and that everyone is pretty much agreed on the 15th. Now just waiting for all the solicitors to get their acts together and exchange, but looks like nothing is now blocking this.

Unfortunately, the removals service we found can't now do that date as they had an existing customer (they had supplied packaging already) who had to delay to then. We have found another, but they can't get to us for a survey until Friday, and can't confirm anything until then. Sure we'll find something, but it's a pain to not be able to get it sorted yet.

Camper was moved as planned, and packing is going quite well, so we should be on track...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Solicitor called earlier in the afternoon to confirm that everything was ready, asked us to provide our authority to proceed and said she would try for exchange. A short time later, she phoned back to say that it has happened, and completion is 15th April😲 After all the waiting, and the tense few days while we wondered whether it was going to fall at the last, and suddenly it's all done, and there's no going back now...

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
Solicitor called earlier in the afternoon to confirm that everything was ready, asked us to provide our authority to proceed and said she would try for exchange. A short time later, she phoned back to say that it has happened, and completion is 15th April😲 After all the waiting, and the tense few days while we wondered whether it was going to fall at the last, and suddenly it's all done, and there's no going back now...
Yay!

Good luck with the move dude. :)

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Have been told no stamp duty sub £250k until September now?

Reactions: type3

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Yay!

Good luck with the move dude. :)
Good luck!
Thanks! Looks like we have a moving company lined up after all - just waiting on their quote, but a finger in the air view says that it will be reasonable. We had a survey lined up with a large national mover tomorrow, but I phoned a local one this morning, expecting it to be a really short conversation ("no availability"), and by chance they had a slot and could come out and do the survey this morning.

Have been told no stamp duty sub £250k until September now?
Yes, that's right, until June it's a continuation of the original holiday, so no stamp duty sub £500k, then for 3 months after it's sub £250k, which is a much better way of doing it without a cliff edge.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Brilliant as we've not seen anything that's right yet, gives a bit more time without pressure!

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,528 Posts
Excellent news :D

We're stuck in limbo again as the vendors solicitors seem unable to send the statutory decleration :rolleyes:
Solicitors really are arseholes aren't they. Good luck getting it sorted!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
We're in! The last week was absolutely hectic with full on packing on Monday and Tuesday, loading up on Wednesday and then moving on Thursday. On Monday it was obvious that we were not going to be able to box up all our kitchen contents, so we called in the offered help from the removal company and they came on Tuesday and did loads for us, as well as providing more boxes. On Wednesday they were back with the trucks, and set to loading, while we flew round taking stuff apart, throwing bits into boxes and bags, and generally feeling stressed. They were great though, and by about 3pm, the trucks were full, the house was almost empty and we could then do some serious cleaning.

Thursday saw us loading our cars, sedating the dog (he does not travel well), panicking about not being able to fit all the stuff we had left in them (we had to leave some with neighbours in the end to collect later) and setting off. Our stuff arrived before us, and we had to stop in Monmouth to pick up keys, but by about 1 we were all at the new house and then it was emptying what seemed like the contents of a 20 bedroom mansion into a small cottage!

Since then it has been unpacking boxes, fitting appliances (not without challenges) and generally trying to settle in and get ready for working. we've had a few moments of "what have we done", but now we are getting used to the house and its quirks, we're feeling more at home. The location is utterly fabulous, on a hill surrounded on all sides by rolling countryside. Our nearest neighbour is not far away, but far enough to feel the sense of space that we were looking for.

Will post some pictures later, and I also have some questions for the VZi hive mind, but works beckons now.

One tip for anyone moving - you'll need so many more boxes than you think!

121 - 140 of 142 Posts