12,292 Posts

·
Hot shoe
26,215 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Looks like we're (finally!) going to exchange next week.

I think we need to up our packing game this weekend...
Great stuff, here's some advice for you:
Get some more boxes
Check how many boxes you have, see that it's not enough, get some more
Start packing stuff into boxes, realise you don't have enough and get some more
Get some more boxes just in case :D

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
11,206 Posts
We've already packed a load of stuff, and I've just answered the door 2 minutes ago to a delivery driver dropping off another 25 boxes :D

I'm hoping we have enough after a trip to B&Q tomorrow to get another 3 large plastic tubs as someone appears to have lots of car magazines and won't throw them away....

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
We've already packed a load of stuff, and I've just answered the door 2 minutes ago to a delivery driver dropping off another 25 boxes :D

I'm hoping we have enough after a trip to B&Q tomorrow to get another 3 large plastic tubs as someone appears to have lots of car magazines and won't throw them away....
All the best for a smooth move then, sounds like you have it all under control.

I have a couple of boxes of magazines, mostly Safer Motoring dating back to 1966, which I had plans to sell off rather than bring with me, but they are all here, so I'm not going to judge anyone for having a collection that they need to move :)

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
All the best for a smooth move then, sounds like you have it all under control.

I have a couple of boxes of magazines, mostly Safer Motoring dating back to 1966, which I had plans to sell off rather than bring with me, but they are all here, so I'm not going to judge anyone for having a collection that they need to move :)
Thats good. My magazine and book collection will fill a van. I should really cut down on them but its taken me years to collect them and they do get looked at so i'm keeping them. :D

·
11,206 Posts
I've not looked at them in years, but I don't really want to let them go so they're coming with us. Our new loft is bigger than our current one, so there shoudl e enough room!

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I've not looked at them in years, but I don't really want to let them go so they're coming with us. Our new loft is bigger than our current one, so there shoudl e enough room!
I'll have a boarded out loft above the garage that i can store them in which will please the missus as they currently fill the space room. ;)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Having been here just over a month now, we're fairly settled now, although not without some issues...

Firstly, with all the rain we have had, it has highlighted that there are some leaks. One of them is into the study, which is a lean-to extension to the original cottage on the front. If the rain is heavy and is being blown onto that side of the house, it is penetrating the wall above the study roof and making its way down past the flashing to appear below. It's not running down, but it does make the wall quite wet and will need resolving before we do any decoration in here. If the rain is being blown the other way, then the similar arrangement on the other side has some issues too. One area below a velux window leaks quite badly, and where there is a hip on that section of roof, it also leaks through. The hip has been covered with flashing rather than ridge tiles, so it may just be poorly done, and below the velux there is a dodgy looking tile with some old sealant on it. We are getting a builder in to look at it tomorrow, and he's familiar with the house as he's quoted on some work here before. Hopefully these issues can be fixed without too much expense!

We have changed our electrical supplier, and when reading the meter to make the change, I noticed that it was exactly the same reading as the day we moved! I also noticed that there was a bare cable going into the main fuse, so called out Western Power, who came the same day to take a look. They were not concerned about the bare wire (it's the neutral, so not dangerous, but should have a cover), but were concerned that their cables (we are supplied by overhead lines) have been incorporated into the internal part of the house by the study extension. As a result, they are paying for a contractor to put a box on the outside, move the main fuse and the (broken) meter to it, terminate the input cables there, then run new tails to the consumer unit internally. The contractor has also agreed to put some connector blocks in there after the meter so we can take power off to outbuildings more easily. Once that's done, the new supplier will come and fit a new smart meter to replace the old, so that one is a win for us, and no cost.

Tomorrow will see our new oil fired combi being fitted, which should make everything much more efficient and get rid of some plumbing annoyances. Unfortunately it does mean that the Rayburn will go cold for now until we decide what to do with it, but that shouldn't be a problem for the summer, and we will order some logs for the stove at the other end of the kitchen for when it does get cold.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Might sound like I'm having a moan, and in some ways I am, because some of this is due to the corner cutting of the previous owner, but it's partly to be expected in such an old property. Then, if it all feels a bit too much, here's the view from my front door:

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Nice view.
I suppose a few issues and possibly bodges are to be expected on any old property.

Our house is getting a full survey tomorrow morning with our new one getting a survey on the 25th. Hopefully nothing too major will show up with either.

·
11,206 Posts
Have you moved yet?
Not yet. We're moving Friday. Or at least I hope we are.

It has been an utter nightmare in all honesty. The guy we're buying from has moved to the Netherlands, which doesn't help. All parties agreed to complete on the 21st, so we booked removals as did our buyers. He then decided to send his original signed documents via a snail from the Netherlands so they missed our exchange date. No worries, we can still exchange this week, until he decided to a make an over payment on his mortgage (which will be cleared on Friday) so his redemption statement is incorrect. A fresh one was being worked out this afternoon, so we should exchange tomorrow and still complete on Friday.

The agent we're buying through has hinted that this chap has been a comlete tool from start to finish. Our house is 95% packed, removals paid for and I have a nagging feeling we're still going to have an issue somewhere before this is over

·
Administrator
166,797 Posts

It has been an utter nightmare in all honesty. The guy we're buying from has moved to the Netherlands, which doesn't help. All parties agreed to complete on the 21st, so we booked removals as did our buyers. He then decided to send his original signed documents via a snail from the Netherlands so they missed our exchange date. No worries, we can still exchange this week, until he decided to a make an over payment on his mortgage (which will be cleared on Friday) so his redemption statement is incorrect. A fresh one was being worked out this afternoon, so we should exchange tomorrow and still complete on Friday.

The agent we're buying through has hinted that this chap has been a comlete tool from start to finish. Our house is 95% packed, removals paid for and I have a nagging feeling we're still going to have an issue somewhere before this is over
Good luck with it all dude. :)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Nice view.
I suppose a few issues and possibly bodges are to be expected on any old property.

Our house is getting a full survey tomorrow morning with our new one getting a survey on the 25th. Hopefully nothing too major will show up with either.
Fingers crossed, and not to worry you, but we had a full survey done on ours too! To be fair, they can't always check everything, but I am a little disappointed that they missed some parts of the roof that should have been at least worthy of comment.

I feel for you - we had a very minor hold up where the first time buyer at the bottom of the chain seemed to be in no hurry to transfer their deposit so we could exchange. They probably didn't have any idea of the stress that this was causing up the chain as we were all trying to firm up our removal services! You do have to wonder at the logic of overpaying the mortgage so close to the sale though!

Fingers also crossed for you that you get a smoother ride from now. As soon as the exchange happens, you're usually good...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Our Rayburn is off, new boiler is being plumbed in as I type. We may not have any heating or hot water until tomorrow, but we do have electric showers, so we can cope. I'm sure if it got really cold, I could find something to burn in the stove.

·
11,206 Posts
Exchanged at lunchtime and completing tomorrow. We had the keys today to clean, rubbish all over the floors, place was thick with grime, dust and god knows what. We would never have been able to move our stuff in tomorrow as it was. Had the inlaws helping us, I think they regretted volunteering to clean the kitchen when they saw it :oops:

Big thanks to Gareth for his help and advice too!

161 - 180 of 212 Posts