Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my bug last thursday, went on holiday next day, arrived back last night, went out to have a check over on the bug this morning..

annnnddd.. I found this :( on the left hand side of the car:

I don't know alot so really don't know how bad this, how expensive this would be to get welded up, if i could do it myself or what to do next..

:( - really worried (i'm probably overreacting but I don't know much!)

HELP!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just realised you can't see what I wanted to point out to you.. (the sills are rusty - have a few tiny holes along..)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
If that is the state of the inner sill, welding a plate over will just cover up what is probably in a sorry state as well - Heater Channel. It depends on how long you plan on keeping the car and if you want to take shortcuts. Heater channels are common items to replace but I think you looking at about £400-£450 each side unless you wnat to have a go yourself. Did you not lift up the carpets and have a poke around with a screwdriver when you bought it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No didn't poke around that much :( but that's because i swapped it for another VW (one that was in substantially worse condition!).

I didn't even know the Bug had a bloody heater!

·
25 character limit is cra
6,631 Posts
Not much help now, but there's a buyers guide (wot I wrote) that might have helped you spot this :(

As said, a heater channel is about £450 to replace, have a look to see if the other side is as bad too.

Pop over to Reader's Rides and see how involved replacing one is, I think Peter did a FAQ for heater channel replacement too? Then you can decide whether you want to DIY or not

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
So now you know 2 more things about bugs,
1) poke before you buy, (but it sounds like you got a better deal anyway),
2) they have a 'heater'.
If you have access to welding gear, a heater channel repair is not too big a DIY job. To replace it is a bit more involved, but not beyond the amateur.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
26,331 Posts
Yup that looks Familier!
Dont kick yourself up the Arse too much about it tho,cos im sure most of us have been here at one stage or another .
I know i have
Nothing is unfixable and when its done properly its one less thing to worry about.
The only downside id if it has gone there it might be the tip of the Iceberg (Ive been there too)
Two choices really
1/ Learn to weld and get swatting up on here.
2/Get the Pros on the case and be prepaired to open your wallet.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Looks all too familiar.
You said it has a few small holes. I always find that a small hole hides a bigger rotted area about three times the size of the hole - or at least that's the minimum you have to remove to cut back to good steel.
Looks patchable, but it's going to be a lot of work to patch it, and will eventually need the channel replacing. If you do it yourself, and patch it, you'll soon realise that it wouldn't have been that big a task to replace the entire channel, and with a new channel in and rust proofed properly it would give you peace of mind.
However, a patching job will be quicker, mean less stripping out, and less time off the road, and give some strength back to the bodyshell. Then you can plan/save for replacing the channel in the future.
The good news is that this isn't an MOT failure, as Bugs have a seperate chassis. As long as the chassis is good, and the rust in the body isn't within 30cm of things like seat belt mounts, then it can pass it's test like that - and then you can worry about it, and plan for the work, another day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mr_Wobble said:
Looks all too familiar.
You said it has a few small holes. I always find that a small hole hides a bigger rotted area about three times the size of the hole - or at least that's the minimum you have to remove to cut back to good steel.
Looks patchable, but it's going to be a lot of work to patch it, and will eventually need the channel replacing. If you do it yourself, and patch it, you'll soon realise that it wouldn't have been that big a task to replace the entire channel, and with a new channel in and rust proofed properly it would give you peace of mind.
However, a patching job will be quicker, mean less stripping out, and less time off the road, and give some strength back to the bodyshell. Then you can plan/save for replacing the channel in the future.
The good news is that this isn't an MOT failure, as Bugs have a seperate chassis. As long as the chassis is good, and the rust in the body isn't within 30cm of things like seat belt mounts, then it can pass it's test like that - and then you can worry about it, and plan for the work, another day.
Thanks for that, you were right, once i cleaned the area up the size of the holes were about 2-3 times bigger. For the moment as I am a student I will sort a temporary fix out and save for getting it properly sorted. The right hand heater channel looks like it's been replaced in the last few years and is in fantastic condition. The floor pan and other panels are all in good nick, except the photo above.

I'm currently giving the whole floor pan a really good clean with some wet and dry and some wire brushes. I've cleaned the problem area down and am going to get some ku-rust on it, will get a temporary weld on it for the mean time to cover the area. - It's my 21st birthday first week of August so my my dads hinted to getting it done as part of my bday prezzy :D (so it will get properly sorted in about 2 months time).

Cheers all :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts