Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I really must get out more
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's not the start of some wierd joke, I've got a really nice Alsation, lovely nature and all that, but just recently she'se developed a real taste for shit!

She won't eat here own, but seems to go mental in the verges for (I guess?) fox or cat shit. I've tried telling her off, but she'se got wise to that, so now she kinda creeps up on it, wolfs it down, then legs it, quicker than I can react. It's quite comical to watch, but she'se just been to the vets, who said she might have lung worm, which is caused by eating fox shit, so I don't want her to get it again, after she'se just been wormed.

Anyone got any ideas? :(

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
You can get bitter spray at a pet shop. Carry it around and if you see her going for shit, spray a load on it. She'll still try it on but, it will be bitter as hell. Soon she'll relate the horrible bitter taste to shit (not that it can taste that great to start with) but, dogs hate bitter.

Shane

·
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like a plan, is it just bitter they don't like, or are they not too keen on beer either?

·
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
go on, I'll bite, how do you know?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pooey Breath

My mates dog used to eat poo all the time. THey had a big field behind their house and he'd let her out for a run and she'd come back adn jump up all affectioante with poo all over her face. - She also used to try and eat garden fertilizer, you know the blood fish and bone one, the vet said it was some kind of defficiency in her food, not that he wasn't feeding her enough, I think it was calcium and poo has lots of it. In the end her used to give her lots of biscuits with her dog meat and she stopped it.

·
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fat Les said:
Shredded aubergine in the food worked for my boxer pup, lot cheaper aswell ;)
In the dog's (how does that help?) or the fox's!

No seriously, she eats dry food at the mo,

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
redhouse53 said:
go on, I'll bite, how do you know?
On a camping trip, while we were sleeping, my dog managed to get into where I was storing my beer (cans). He bit through every one. When I woke up he was pissed as a fart (and no, wasn't harmed or adversly affected).

Shane

·
Banned
18,443 Posts
Mine rubs his kneck in fox shit :eek: but doesent eat it , infact he rubbed himself in a dead hedghog the other day man that was nasty :mad:

But he is quite parshal to LIVE FROGS :eek:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
get some pepper, when you see some shit, put loads on it, then let her go and have a sniff / eat, after doing it a few times she will realise its not wise

works all the time ;)

·
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pepper it is then, I forgot to mention, she'll also eat any carcasses the cat brings home for me! Living in the country rocks! :crazy:

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
redhouse53 said:
In the dog's (how does that help?) or the fox's!

No seriously, she eats dry food at the mo,
Doh! sorry didn't read your original post properly :eek: But if your dog does start to eat its own shite you know what to do ;)

My dog also has a bit of a thing for other varieties of shite, Tatton park and Stanford HAll were a nightmare with all the sheep shit around.

·
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and here she is, looking like she'de never even consider doing anything as disgusting as eating shit!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
redhouse53 said:
That's not the start of some wierd joke, I've got a really nice Alsation, lovely nature and all that, but just recently she'se developed a real taste for shit!

She won't eat here own, but seems to go mental in the verges for (I guess?) fox or cat shit. I've tried telling her off, but she'se got wise to that, so now she kinda creeps up on it, wolfs it down, then legs it, quicker than I can react. It's quite comical to watch, but she'se just been to the vets, who said she might have lung worm, which is caused by eating fox shit, so I don't want her to get it again, after she'se just been wormed.

Anyone got any ideas? :(
watch its me or the dog next week she is going to train a dog on their for eating poop

·
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
COOL!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Sounds obvious, but the best way is to keep the dog away from it, I would suggest keeping the dog on a lead for a number of days to try and "Break the habit".

Usually its a dietary thing, so check what food you are feeding the dog and that the quantity is correct for size and weight. If on a meat diet (tinned), maybe think of switching to a dry meal instead, I reccommend IAMS. My dog used to eat cat shit in the garden, we changed her to a dry food and she stopped.

Edit: Dry meal food also decrease the chances of all types of worms. Just remember to keep the water bowl topped up.

As an after thought also, dogs have a cunning way of turning things into a game, so she may have noticed that you give her attention when she does it i.e shouting at her, trying to catch her etc. It may be an idea if the above doesn't work to physically turn your back on her when she does it, she won't get the attention and may just stop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts