Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm outside trying to wire up the thing and I know I've done it right. Did it like this:

Green to sender
Red to positive
brown to earth
grey to dash lights

Right yeah??

When I switch the ignition on the needle rises a little but does nothing after that. It's second hand!! Is it buggered??

Any ways of testing it??

Any help much appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,245 Posts
Try putting the sender in something hot and see what happens because until it gets hot it will not read. Fooled myself with a GTi into thinking I had fault until the day I got stuck in traffic and the engine heated up properly and bingo it worked fine.
:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't remove sender as it has been fitted into pressure releif screw and looks like I don't want to be messing with it really :(
 

·
snide twat
Joined
·
39,983 Posts
Shroom said:
Can't remove sender as it has been fitted into pressure releif screw and looks like I don't want to be messing with it really :(
have you waited until the engine actually warms up ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,086 Posts
You'll need to drive it really to notice the oil temp rise, i remember thinking mine wasn't working before i drove it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
if you have it wired up correctly, disconnect the wire to the sender and put it to earth, the gauge should shoot up. only touch it on quickly though. this will tell you if the sender is not working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drove 5 miles and the guage only got to 50' so I recon it's either the sender or guage or both that's buggered. I will try DT's test tonight.

Cheers guys
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,813 Posts
Shroom said:
I drove 5 miles and the guage only got to 50' so I recon it's either the sender or guage or both that's buggered. I will try DT's test tonight.

Cheers guys
5 miles aint enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do! Seems bonkers don't it but worth a try.

Let you know if I've been a prat or not by the weekend. :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,245 Posts
Shroom said:
Will do! Seems bonkers don't it but worth a try.

Let you know if I've been a prat or not by the weekend. :crazy:
It's not bonkers, engines take longer to reach working temperature than you think. My GTi would hit working temp on the water gauge in 5 miles and around 20 miles on the oil gauge. Fooled me as well at the time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,813 Posts
david thomas said:
if you have it wired up correctly, disconnect the wire to the sender and put it to earth, the gauge should shoot up. only touch it on quickly though. this will tell you if the sender is not working.
Did you do this test ?
If the needle shoots up to the top when you earth the green wire, (instead of connecting it to the sender), it is telling you that the guage works, but your Sender is faulty. :rolleyes:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top