Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found merce 60,s 70,s 280se in building due to be knocked down . it has an english reg ,last insured 1990 ,have asked around ,no one knows who ownes it ,what do i do to claim it,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,279 Posts
i know if you have the V5 for it and you sign it but leave the old owners signiture empty they contact the previous owner, and if they dont get back before a certain time its yours, but i doubt the V5 will just be sitting in the glovebox! have you looked tho??

there must be someone who can tell you summat about it tho, why its there, how long for etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
alex1916v said:
i know if you have the V5 for it and you sign it but leave the old owners signiture empty they contact the previous owner, and if they dont get back before a certain time its yours, but i doubt the V5 will just be sitting in the glovebox! have you looked tho??

there must be someone who can tell you summat about it tho, why its there, how long for etc...
You need to get a V5c replacement application off the DVLA then do as above...

They will send a letter to the previous owner informing them that someone is trying to register their car :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the car is in an empty pub due to be demolihsed,not in the car park ,in ,a shed at the back , half building demolished , checked glove box ,no joy,only thing ,i found was insurance disc 1990,i reckon been there atleast 15yrs ,full of dust,cheers for help,,. ian.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,771 Posts
Yeah but what they said is only half the clout thoug.

You can actually be done for stealing car if you have not established ownership its called theft by finding. Although you dont know owner you still have to get in touch with owner and legally obtain it.

You could otherwise ne in the scenario of spending wads on it and then someone coming along and claiming it back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Nic B-C said:
Yeah but what they said is only half the clout thoug.

You can actually be done for stealing car if you have not established ownership its called theft by finding. Although you dont know owner you still have to get in touch with owner and legally obtain it.

You could otherwise ne in the scenario of spending wads on it and then someone coming along and claiming it back
seems a shame to leave it sat there :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,916 Posts
Nic B-C said:
Yeah but what they said is only half the clout thoug.

You can actually be done for stealing car if you have not established ownership its called theft by finding. Although you dont know owner you still have to get in touch with owner and legally obtain it.

You could otherwise ne in the scenario of spending wads on it and then someone coming along and claiming it back
I seem to remember from thumbing through my copy of the Theft Act 1968 (A level law student...) that it isn't theft if you've made reasonable attempts to discover who the owner is. My best guess would be to try to establish who was landlord of the pub in 1990 and work from there.

Thinking a bit more about the theft thing.. you can't be done for it if you genuinely believe that you have a right to appropriate the property. coz there's no mens rea, innit :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
hoohy - where bouts in ireland do you live? north or south?

colleen! :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,384 Posts
the only proof of ownership is a receipt from the person who has legal title to it,a v5 states at the top the registered keeper is not neccesarily the legal owner.unless you can get permission or title off the owner there is always a chance you will loose it even if dvla do give you a v5 ,do it properly or not at all
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,771 Posts
SPANNERBOY said:
the only proof of ownership is a receipt from the person who has legal title to it,a v5 states at the top the registered keeper is not neccesarily the legal owner.unless you can get permission or title off the owner there is always a chance you will loose it even if dvla do give you a v5 ,do it properly or not at all
exactly, however you could trace through the owners of the land, as they could rightly claim rent for the storage of said vehicle which will exceed its value and therefore ownership can be transferred.

But as said above make all efforts to trace owners as its simply theft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,088 Posts
HPi check is 25 quid and confirms the owner of the car does it not? then you can contact said person and find out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,384 Posts
Bugsy_Malone 666 said:
HPi check is 25 quid and confirms the owner of the car does it not? then you can contact said person and find out?
hire purchase information(h.p.i) will only tell you if a vehicle had outstanding monies or has been classified as a write off at some point,no will be able to give you info on ownership,it is protected by the data act
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,088 Posts
SPANNERBOY said:
hire purchase information(h.p.i) will only tell you if a vehicle had outstanding monies or has been classified as a write off at some point,no will be able to give you info on ownership,it is protected by the data act
i couldnt remember, im sure there was something similar, of course quite frequently im wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,209 Posts
i know someone who found a old lambretta exactly like you he got a form from the dvla and then recived the v5 from them he then spent the next year rebuilding it at a cost of £3000 only to be pulled over by the police and was told he was riding a stolen bike (not forgetting the log book was in his name now)


the police put the bike in the compound and my mate had to sort it out with the original owner in the end my mate agreed to give the bloke £500 this was to cover the value of the reg plate but this took about 6 months to sort out

if i was you i would not spend anything on it until you find out who the original owner was and then get it in writing that you can have it
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top