Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
that is a big beetle. a term comonly used to refer to the 1303/1303s model. with the unfavored curved, and frankly horrible screen. not. in many peoples eyes a proper beetle.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I assume you mean 'super beetle'. They had curved windscreens (rather than flat), and have a more bulging bonnet. The biggest giveaway is the shock towers under the bonnet - it has independent front suspension, rather than the transverse leaf beam on the others.
But then - you might mean 'big window' beetle....the later models had bigger windows all round. Not that much bigger, but bigger none the less....

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

·
Registered
18,482 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assume you mean 'super beetle'. They had curved windscreens (rather than flat), and have a more bulging bonnet. The biggest giveaway is the shock towers under the bonnet - it has independent front suspension, rather than the transverse leaf beam on the others.
But then - you might mean 'big window' beetle....the later models had bigger windows all round. Not that much bigger, but bigger none the less....[/QUOte

a msg was sent to the person ibrought the car of saying it was a big beetle as it had a wooden dash the 1600 engin and the wal to wal carpet tthe msg was sent by www.thedriverfamily.co.uk the car is no 96 on there register

·
Registered
173 Posts
a big beetle was a special edition of the 1303 having highback cloth seats wooden dash and deep pile carpets 51\2GT wheels and a few other nice touches normally metailic colours

here is a page about them http://www.thedriverfamily.co.uk/
hope that helps;)

another site http://www.1303big.com/1303_big_thebig.htm
hit the nail on the head. I used to own a 74 1303S big beetle in a lovely shade of gold. brown half cloth half fake leather seats, wood effect dash, golf ball gear knob and the GT wheels. Loved it. have fun with your new purchase.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
we have jus brought a beetle on ebay (iteam no 170185276112) and been told that it is a big beetle just woundering how i can check
That looks like a great little project, and at a good price too :D.
Don't see 'Big Beetles' very often , do you intend to restore it to stock?
Only thing that doesn't seem right is that steering wheel :eek::lol::lol:.

;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Big Beetle is a special edition 1303S only for 1974 model year! It's based on 1303S, with some extras. LHD ones have 3 point rollmatic seatbelts, rear window defroster, 5,5 15 rims with 175/70 15 tires, mahogany shifter knob with Wolfsburg logo on it, mahogany imitation dash panel, soft steering wheel with silver Wolfsburg logo and trims, only 3 or 4 colors made, exterior and interior colors are harmonious, seats have velvet upholstery.

Normal 1303 Series

Special Edition Big Beetle

Moss Metallic Big

Hellas Metallic Big

Ontario Metallic Big

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Big Beetle is a special edition 1303S only for 1974 model year! It's based on 1303S, with some extras. LHD ones have 3 point rollmatic seatbelts, rear window defroster, 5,5 15 rims with 175/70 15 tires, mahogany shifter knob with Wolfsburg logo on it, mahogany imitation dash panel, soft steering wheel with silver Wolfsburg logo and trims, only 3 or 4 colors made, exterior and interior colors are harmonious, seats have velvet upholstery.

thank you i have heard of the wolfsburg name befor as i had a wolfsburg g60 golf

·
Registered
8,833 Posts
The Big is a special edition as mentioned before. It has the wooden gear shifter and special edition steering wheel. I had one in Moss Green which had corduroy seat centres with velour outers - I still have the seats if you want a sample/ the seat cover at any point.It also had the wooden dash inlay. More information can be found at sebeetles.com

Al

1 - 18 of 18 Posts