Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it mean when it says 40GB a month ?

I am currently with NTL Telewest for my internet, it costs £25 a month and it is super fast. I don't know what GB it is as it is always getting upgraded but I think it is 40GB. However I was thinking to swapping to BT with the home hub and it says on their website that it is 40GB a month and that you can only download 1 movie a month with that. I don't understand ?????
I have downloaded alsorts off the web and thru Peer to peer and never ever been warned that I am reaching my broadband limit. Can someone explain how it works please.

Ta
Ben

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I am even more confused as it says on Telewest that I only have 4GB internet, yet I download Lost every week CSI etc, sometimes at least 2 hours a week.
Confused ??
Ben

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
53 deluxe said:
Now I am even more confused as it says on Telewest that I only have 4GB internet, yet I download Lost every week CSI etc, sometimes at least 2 hours a week.
Confused ??
Ben
Could mean either the programs you're downloading are of a low resolution or the GB usage report isn't working correctly. Having worked for Telewest in the past and as I still work in the industry, the usage report not working correctly is VERY common.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
53 deluxe said:
Confused ??
Ben
Aha - classic misconception. There are two different things to look at.

1) Download LIMIT: Measured in GIGABYTES (Usually) and this is the maximum you can download a month.
2) Download SPEED: Measured in MEGABITS (usually) and this is the speed you download at.

4 megabits translates to 512 kilobytes every second. So, 8 seconds (Running at full speed) is about 4 Meg which is about an MP3.

It's fairly easy to translate:

Smallest: 1 Bit

8 Bits = 1 Byte
1024 Bytes = 1 Kilobyte (An image will usually be a few hundred kb)
1024 Kilobytes = 1 Megabyte (A song will be 3-5 mb)
1024 Megabytes = 1 Gigabyte (A CD is 650Mb, a DVD will be a couple of GB, A hard disk will be ~60-120Gb usually

1 - 5 of 5 Posts