Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have managed to get a stock beam as my current one has been cut and turned and its a horrible ride
is fitting dropped spindles a straight forward swap or am i looking at something a bit more complicated
thanks

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
12,573 Posts
skitts7 said:
i have managed to get a stock beam as my current one has been cut and turned and its a horrible ride
is fitting dropped spindles a straight forward swap or am i looking at something a bit more complicated
thanks
Its quite easy - I did it last week to my splitty which has a bay beam fitted.
Jack it up, take off the front wheel. Adjust the brakes so they are free.Remove the hub nut over and loosen the nut holding the hub on - you have to undo an allen key to losen it off.Unclip teh brake pipe from the clip behind the spindle.
Take the drum off and undo the four bolts holding the drum plate to the spindle. You will then be able to rotate the plate off the end and free of the spindle.
Split the tie rod ball joint and mark where the notch is on the top ball joint. Pop both the ball joints and use a jack to pry the arm up so you can remove the spindle.
Swap the spacer over from the old spindle to the new spindle and the rubber grommet which hold the speedo cable in place (one side only). Reassemble in reverse order. When fitting top ball joint note the location your marked on the old spindle and try to place it in the same position when fitting back up.
Get your tracking and toe adjusted as soon as possible to make sure its all aligned.

Of course you'll to adjust the above procedure if you've got discs up front.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts