Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right, i got a 58 split that im collecting from chatham freight station on friday (well hopefully, see how customs are) and im so excited its untrue! its my 21st on tuesday and its the mother of all presents to my self! oooowwwwww i cant wait!!!! :D anyway i would like to know how to drop the rear end loads and still keep the wheels straight! ive seen a few splittys that are really low and it looks like the rear gets narrowed to.....????

is it just a straight axel kit as if you look in the cool air magazine it shows a picture of what im talking about beside the straight axel kit? i want it to look low and standard, no shiny stuff!
anyway cheers for your help if you can help that is! :hangloose

·
Registered
89 Posts
samthomas33 said:
right, i got a 58 split that im collecting from chatham freight station on friday (well hopefully, see how customs are) and im so excited its untrue! its my 21st on tuesday and its the mother of all presents to my self! oooowwwwww i cant wait!!!! :D anyway i would like to know how to drop the rear end loads and still keep the wheels straight! ive seen a few splittys that are really low and it looks like the rear gets narrowed to.....????

is it just a straight axel kit as if you look in the cool air magazine it shows a picture of what im talking about beside the straight axel kit? i want it to look low and standard, no shiny stuff!
anyway cheers for your help if you can help that is! :hangloose
congraast ,best of luck ,happy birthday

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
addict said:
have a word with vwbuzzers on here he is a great big know it all... :hug:
cheers mate, just pm'ed him so hopefully should here back soon.
i cant belive know one knows how its done though, i thought loads of people would know

·
Registered
329 Posts
as far as i know with staight axle conversions you get camber like this - /\
and with irs you dont

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
pritty sure the only way you can keep them staight is IRS-ing the rear,
saying that my 68pannel with a 4 spline drop on the rear(all bays are stanard IRS on the rear) and my rears have a hell of a raked wheel too, ie, /----\ <-like that!

if you wanna go as low as that pic shows, i doubt you just need there spacial plates anway, anyhthing up to a 3spline drop with IRS will keep em pritty straight, dunno about sticking a swing axel box on a splity tho, never done it...yet.

if you wanna go that low tho, you'll need to rasie other stuff to be able to use it!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
addict said:
your all wrong vwbuzzers van is the lowest of the low it has strait axels and no camber.
thats what im thinking, where is he! if someone knows him then give him a good kick up the arse to set us straight! ;)
also on my 73 bay it dropped the rear 2 spline and the camber went like /---\ rather badly, thats just after 2! and im sorry but personally i dont like that look :crazy: i want it |---| :hangloose

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you're getting /--\ with straight axle then you're looking at a proper pan scraper and on the run form the men in white coats!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
The gearbox in a bus is already raised when compared with a beetle box, this was so the redux boxes can be fitted.
So unless you are pretty low you get positive camber. I don't think I have seen many straightaxled buses with neg camber.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts