Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you fit a spade terminal to a wire and make it stay?

yes i know its a silly question but im thick!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Buy a crimper for fitting terminals to wire... its much easier in the long run. I spent years using my teeth to strip the wire and a pair of pliers to try and fit the terminals, and it was always a pain. A pair of wire strippers and a crimper, and i laugh in the face of electrical contact problems....

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,995 Posts
i'm rewiring my beetle using the uninsulated brass type ones similar to original ones, crimping each side over and soldering each one. If I ever have an electrical problem with a bad connection then the world will have ended ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So basically strip some of the insulation back to expose the coper wire, butt the end of the insulation against the barrel of the spade so that the coper wire is through and touching the spade then squeeze the tube of the spade together with crimping tool.

Wont this just split the plastic insulation around the barrel of the spade though?
tried squeezing one with me fingers last night and it just wasnt happening! LOL
so guessing its easier with crimping tool but still thinking it will split the red casing on the spade? Will give it a whirl tonight maybe.

ZAP! hopefully it wont hurt too much when i get electrocuted! hee hee!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wont this just split the plastic insulation around the barrel of the spade though?
Well, yes, sometimes does, to be honest. :rolleyes: The better crimp tools don't, but the cheap ones can.

For doing vehicle wiring, you are much better off using the uninsulated sort like Forsh shows ^^^, with a separate insulating sleeve where needed.

The important thing is to use the correct crimp tool for the type of crimp - there's a little advice table for matching tools to crimps on the VWP link Moby gave you.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Mr_Wobble said:
As well as getting yourself a crimping tool, get yourself an automatic wire stripper. Much easier than faffing with the stripping part of the crimper tool, or faffing with wire cutters or knives.

Saves a fortune on dentist bills too, if, like me, you used to strip wire with your teeth :D

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Or buy a decent set of crimpers AND strippers. Though it is easy to strip wiresm a tool will make it much easier. The one that I have is spring loaded and has most of the correct guages which you would want to use if rewiring part or all of the car.

Better tools perform the task well, but cheap ones work just the same, but with more effort and hassle. I've done most of my crimping with the basic shite ones, but borrowed a good pair off a friend toward the end. The difference is amazing, they are on my shopping list...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts