Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking that when you flush the loo you just don't think about the engineering that goes into shuffling poo around. i live miles from the sewerage works and have no idea how they get my poo there, how long it takes and how nuch is done by gravity and pumping. i dont know if there is a big underground tunnel under the main road that pooy men can walk round in. ???

surely there must a poo-engineer on VZi so come on, tell us how suburban poo gets to poo-heaven :D

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Rod 912 said:
they do indeed, i used to sell/install screw screens and step screens to the water authorities :hangloose
Good old tech - works dunnit

I know (well maybe a bit) this because I put in Jones and Attwood's first computer system. In Stourbridge.
Their traditional market - ie the UK was slipping away from them as people bought swanky electronics - but they found an even bigger market in the devloping countries and China - where the solid reliable old tech worked a blinder.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
There's a system of buffer-tanks and pumps feeding gravity pipes..

When the tank reaches the right level they pump it out down the next set of pipes until it reaches the treatment plant.

Imagine how much energy is required to pump all of out poo around and treat it..!!

This is why environmentalists use composting toilets in their back gardens. It saves lots of energy.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers guys

i reckon the poo that the wife did yes'turd'ay has probably only made it a few yards from the house by now.

eeeeuuuwwwww

:D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
HairyYeti said:
This is why environmentalists use composting toilets in their back gardens. It saves lots of energy.
Much better for costal waters too. No sewage pipes dumping sewage into the middle of surf spots and the like. Has got to be a good thing.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I used to live in a house at the top of a hill- trouble was the drain right outside my door was the only one that was open to the air, if you know what I mean. If there was a blockage anywhere down the road the stuff would back up and overflow into my kitchen and down into the cellar :rolleyes: :eek: with all the shite, condoms, disposable nappies, ladies sanitary items etc.

Often happened just after New Year, dunno why. Didn't enlighten the purchaser, thought he might like the surprise.

·
Somewhere else...........
3,391 Posts
Yup......all goes to a pumping station at the lowest point of the area and then is pumped back through a rising main to a gravity fed sewer.

They are centrally monitored so if they break down something can be done before shit starts coming up your sink.....well most of the time ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts