Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With bonfire night all but over and the inevitable spate of accidents and fatalities, including a fellow VZIers mate, how long will it be before the Health & Safety Executive get involved and all but outlaw bonfires, fireworks etc? Im not saying they should or shouldnt, just think that its inevitable some day.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
i personally hope so.

Organised displays only with a ban on over the counter firework sales.
To much pain and misery is caused by them.

you cant get on a plane with a box of matches, but you can buy dangerous explosives in Tescos???

Something not quite right there.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
i wish it was banned and there were only organised events
it terrifies my dog and causes unneccesary stress all round.
how do you explain to a dog that this is all for 'fun' :)

·
Registered
78,063 Posts
I love the idea that organised displays are safe but at home you're not.

Last year I watched an organised diplay. I had been talking to the guys when they set it up.

One of the guys set fire to himself.

And one complete unit of mortars fell on it's side and went off directly into the crowd.

I'll take my chances in my back garden thanks.

It's also the organised ones which make the most noise.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
its not sensible home displays that are the problem. Its the cock ends letting them off in the street. And people letting off massive fireworks in their back gardens at 3am 5ft away from where their neighbours kids are sleeping that I have a problem with.

The only way to stop that is to limit their sale to the general public. If that means a few sensible folk have to miss out on their own displays, I'd prefer that to all the misery they cause.

·
Registered
78,063 Posts
Orby1 said:
I don't think bonfires will be banned - maybe one day small back-garden fires might be (somehow - how could the inforce it???), but not the big council organised displays.
not really related and perhaps not what you meant anyway... but bonfires aren't allowed in some areas anyway... there's an area in Epsom Common where you can't have bonfires

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
iwas driving along before going to drop my son off when a load of kids jumped out in front of me though what the fuck and slammed on then a firework went off on the pavement some idiot had thrown it at them!!!

·
Registered
78,063 Posts
User Name said:
its not sensible home displays that are the problem. Its the cock ends letting them off in the street. And people letting off massive fireworks in their back gardens at 3am 5ft away from where their neighbours kids are sleeping that I have a problem with.

The only way to stop that is to limit their sale to the general public. If that means a few sensible folk have to miss out on their own displays, I'd prefer that to all the misery they cause.
Yeah fair enough. I take your point.

I DO think there should be tighter control over sales.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
peelo said:
I'll take my chances in my back garden thanks.

It's also the organised ones which make the most noise.
to be fair though, youre probably sensible enough not to let them off at stupid times, or too close to other buildings. Not everyone is.

And organised ones do make more noise, but they must be within the legal times or they will be fined.

I live just over the hill from a big fireworks factory, so i'm used to massive fireworks going off. They dont do it at 3am though like the guy around the corner was last night.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Personally, I'd be more worried they would try to ban jet cars...after Hammonds accident, and the pod yesterday night...

It wouldnt suprise me at all, it appears that virtually no common sense is present in those who make such decisions anymore...god only knows what will happen :(

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
User Name said:
i personally hope so.

Organised displays only with a ban on over the counter firework sales.
To much pain and misery is caused by them.

you cant get on a plane with a box of matches, but you can buy dangerous explosives in Tescos???

Something not quite right there.
With you there mate!
I personally think it's rediculous that you can buy fireworks over the counter!
Something's gotta be done about it!

G-out!

·
ready for the off....
36,619 Posts
Lets put it all into perspective - one night that provides a lot of people with a lot of fun. Yes, one guy died today (the fellow whos a mate of someone here) in a freak accident - very very sad yes but it was an accident. To start banning stuff that usually goes off ok without much fuss is wrong.

I set off two dozen fireworks in my garden yesterday - it bothered the neighbours dog for one might - and that fucking mutt barks for ten minutes EVERY day at the postman as he walks down the road. I have to listen to the flea ridden bastard every day whilst it barks for no reason yet its owners no doubt think it unreasonable that on one day/evening it 'worries' about the noise outside... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
78,063 Posts
User Name said:
to be fair though, youre probably sensible enough not to let them off at stupid times, or too close to other buildings. Not everyone is.

And organised ones do make more noise, but they must be within the legal times or they will be fined.

I live just over the hill from a big fireworks factory, so i'm used to massive fireworks going off. They dont do it at 3am though like the guy around the corner was last night.
Yeah we did ours about 6.00pm.

And I noticed last night all was silent round here by 10.30.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts