Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting an A4 Avant TDi - 1996 to 2000 model - they all seem to have about 140,000 miles

Anyone got or had one with this sort of age/mileage?

What breaks on 'em?

Electrickery OK on SE models?

cheers,
J. :)

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
There was a Diesel Passat in VW Motoring a few years back that had done over 500,000 miles. Can't remember if this was a TDi engine though.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
My Golf Tdi Est is about to do 150k miles.

Change the cam belts at 40 k not 60k as VW say, keep them serviced, and always let the turbo idle bufore shut off - the rotors gum up otherwise.

Still does 120 mph, still does silly mpg when I behave too.

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
We have a '98 A4 avant SE tdi with 200k on the clock and it drives like new.

Also had the 80 version with similar mileage with no problems! (until some git wrote it off)

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Tinker,

Tempted by a Golf too, but there aren't many for sale...

AFAIK - the idle before shut-off is so that the turbo has a chance to cool down with some cooler engine oil - i.e. so that hot oil doesn't coke up in/around red hot turbo bearings - back in my farmer days main dealers always advised to let the turbo'd tractors idle for a good couple of minutes after full throttle running for this reason...

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
automanics said:
We have a '98 A4 avant SE tdi with 200k on the clock and it drives like new.
Thats exactly what I'm looking at, but with 140k - do you know anything to look out for, Ken?

cheers

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
The only problem i've found or heard of is dodgy rear window wipers motors, hardly cause for concern, if it drives nice it will be! :)

I like them so much i'm thinking of selling the T4 and beemer and getting another one for myself! :D

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
fastfugitive said:
Cheers Tinker,

Tempted by a Golf too, but there aren't many for sale...

They didn't make so many.

back in my farmer days main dealers always advised to let the turbo'd tractors idle for a good couple of minutes after full throttle running for this reason...
I just let it run sub turbo ( 2000 rpm) - the time it takes me to get into the garage and reverse into our parking bay, which is all doen at about 1500 rpm.

Eleccy bits are mainly all fine - the only damage to the car is what the deer did when they bounced off it - twice! Since the second Bambo slaughter I seem to be going through pass side main headlight bulbs rather quickly.

·
Registered
25,696 Posts
My 98 110TDI Passat Sport was superb,well until someone rammed into the back of it.That had 197 on the clock,still did an indicated 125 if you tried hard enough,still did 60 mph if you drove like grandma. I used to cane it everywhere,and I mean everywhere,used to average 40-43mpg. Its been replaced with a 115PD Sport,thats even quicker and even better on fuel.They're comfortable,handle well,well built and the problems that get mentioned,(window motors,air con blowers,maf sensors etc) are all reasonably well documented and easy to deal with.And mostly acceptable when you look at the vehicles ages.Personally i'd say the Passat is far better value than the passat,bigger inside and cheaper when compared.The pre 97 cars are showing their age now,and are nowhere near as nice to drive,having said that though they are miles better than the competitors (406s Mondeos etc).

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
fastfugitive said:
Thinking about getting an A4 Avant TDi - 1996 to 2000 model - they all seem to have about 140,000 miles

Anyone got or had one with this sort of age/mileage?

What breaks on 'em?

Electrickery OK on SE models?

cheers,
J. :)
If you haven't yet discovered it yet check out www.audi-sport.net and www.audifans.net both sites have loads of tips on all the Audi models.
As long as they are well maintained the VW/Audi TDi's are bullet-proof.
Had an 80 TDi SE Avant for 5yrs/100k miles until sold last year at 213k miles, running like new........
Only sold it to buy a '99 A4 Avant TDi SE 110 bhp which had climate and all the toys.....
Have to say that the 80 did seem better built?
There are quite a few known flaws with the A4, none particularly associated with the diesel engine, many are electrical, though the most famous has to be the front suspension arm noise/wear issue (which also afflicts the Passat).
The SE models which have the driver information display on the dash lose pixels in the display, only remedy is a new dash insert that costs £100's.
The Concert radio in the 97ish onwards A4's (made by either Blaupunkt or Matsushita/Panasonic) is infamous for a dodgy volume control knob that leaves you with silence or a stereo at max volume :eek: , only cure is repair (£80 approx) or a new stereo.
Door bottom rubbing strips fall off as they were only made of mild steel and so rust , they are so commonly replaced that Audi dealers keep them in stock, they are about £15 each and are now of a revised construction.
I wouldn't recommend a 90 bhp model as even the 110 bhp models (red i) are not exactly a ball of fire, stick a tuning chip/performance module on a 110 and it starts to get there though :D .
After having had the niggles mentioned above on my own A4 they have now been ironed out (with exception of dash display) and it has been a totally reliable car, its now at 130k and really does run as-new.
Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the A4 to others, though be aware the post-early 99 cars (the 'facelift' model) are nicer as they have a revised interior, standard factory front fogs and more modern-looking projector headlamps.

;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts