Volkszone Forum banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
With the dash/bulkhead converted and mocked up to test that everything fitted, I moved on to the scuttle it was a load easier to do the conversion with this off the car, I had already trimmed this close to a fit and prepped it underneath, so fitting was a doddle hardest part as usual was sanding all the welding back to a nice surface, didn’t require a lot of filler. Folding the seams back Over I found some thin metal on the passenger side so that was delt with too.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
So the end was in sight :hug: erm not quite I went to fit the nice original petrol flap( remember I foolishly wanted year correct wing flap?) well the bugger didn’t fit! No matter what I tried . The recess wasn’t deep enough by a good few mm and just wouldn’t have looked right. Why do the makers not take the extra time to sort these details. Back to the celebrity sibling thing :lol::confused:, so back out with slitting discs... I did have the og one from the blue shell, luckily the scrap man must have had a day off. So chop, trim , bash, weld and warp the hell out of my lovely new panel :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Blows my mind that not more people have commented on this thread. Having just read from start to finish, it's fantastic. Amazing quality repairs and doing them super fast too!! Keep the updates coming, I'll be watching (in a non-stalkerish way)

:)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Would you say having removed them, if it’s possible to remove screen vent without damaging or cutting dash area. The reason I ask I’ve cut front of screen area in prep for repair with hookeys panels. Noticed the area behind a bit rotted. The vent seems to be made of multiple parts, but not easy to see how it’s all stitch together.
Hope that makes sense

Leigh

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Looks like its coming along nicely.
Getting the dash and scuttle to fit nicely on mine was a right PITA as it didn't seem possible to fit it in one piece.
Thanks zeb, yes sectioning it carefully was the only way I could see of getting the bits it needed, in there.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Blows my mind that not more people have commented on this thread. Having just read from start to finish, it's fantastic. Amazing quality repairs and doing them super fast too!! Keep the updates coming, I'll be watching (in a non-stalkerish way)

:)
Thanks for your humbling words, this was all about a year ago and I'm just flying through the pictures, I do try and do something (anything ) to progress things even if it's only sourcing a part. Looks like you've started something :) now I'm getting comments galore. Keep commenting folks :hug:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Would you say having removed them, if it's possible to remove screen vent without damaging or cutting dash area. The reason I ask I've cut front of screen area in prep for repair with hookeys panels. Noticed the area behind a bit rotted. The vent seems to be made of multiple parts, but not easy to see how it's all stitch together.
Hope that makes sense

Leigh
Hi Leigh, yes it's possible to remove them, they are a gusset , that can be cut almost level with the dash. Then flatted with a flap type wheel on the grinder. I think the layers you can see ,are the vent pressings that are kind of like a hoover attachment that is tacked in between the layers (I'll try to get a picture for you) I just cut all of mine out

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Look at 1911type4bug’s resto thread I think one of these pics are his, I used his thread many times for reference, as to how things should be. I would trim back carefully and I think you would need to paint anyway so wouldn’t worry too much just don’t rush it

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
So when I left you last time, I had just fitted the new/old petrol flap, one thing I had in mind while doing all this work, was to try and not use much filler, all steel where possible :cool: well the flap fitting left me with quite a bit to do, the panel shrunk, when the weld cooled and left me with a filler job :confused: in reality it was only a mm or so thick so not the end of the world.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
Next was the bonnet . Well another thought path I’d had was to use fibreglass parts for the wings.
1, as I’d never bought a bug that didn’t need wing work and
2, I’d got some upright fronts cheap :)
and one rear left over from my 67. So why not get a glass bonnet as well? Thinking foolishly that late parts would be easy to find and cheap.... erm . Well Fasten your seat belts this gets rough (at least on my wallet) a post on face book reveals my mate has a bonnet in fibreglass and a good price ( all good so far) so I grabbed it. It was a wizard one, meaning that it was smooth hmmm, it may work? Although, not exactly what I was looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
The car came with a 1300 vented bonnet (had the usual grot in the corners)
Best keep a list of how this went. Long story short
1, black lid car came with.(rot in places and vent poorly filled)
2, blue lid new shell came with (rotten front and rear).
3, dark blue wizard lid ( nearly but a bit too custom).
4, yellow lid ( bought locally) (not rotten but a bit knocked about).
Hmmm still not totally satisfied I scoured the land in search of a glass short/late model bonnet, a local near miss turned out to be a baja lid??
Bugger,

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
Then..I’d almost given up, and even looked at new ones, the reviews though where shocking. The curve wasn’t right, the scuttle was miles of etc, gulp didn’t fancy that much. Just as I was about to go with the yellow one,,, lid no 5 turned up on ebay bingo. Stock lid? deffo ( so the seller assured me ) a short lid with hinge panels on. Only issue was. It’s in Norfolk or about an 8hr drive :eek: after a week of negotiations ,he agreed to post it :cool: :lol: can you imagine the post man , what the fox this? :lol: So I waited and waited then I got the text from my mrs “What the hell have you bought now?” :lol:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
Looking at the pictures you may notice something? After all the excitement of actually finding this elusive part and the extreme costs and stress of getting it home.... I fitted it only to find it was a [email protected]*#ing long one, a f#*€ing long one. So that’s 5 lids I’m into this :(

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
After a small melt down and kicking the dog (not really) I thought ‘would it be so bad’? I could go us 67 look ,long lid ,but upright headlights? I was certainly pot committed on this one ,with not much chance of retrieving my investment, so I bought another! Front valance ( no4) an early type. But struggled to find the correct catch. For a rhd car? All the usual culprits sell the generic lhd one!!! I now own 3 of the bleedrs and finally found a correct used one at skegvegas . Now this was making my teeth itch. Wrong just wrong. The final straw was when I’d sourced a euro bumper and overiders in mint condition, this just wouldn’t work :mad so I made the wrenching decision to go with the year correct, yellow cow :lol: . Common sense and my ducks back in a row. I was glad that I’d not welded any of the 4 previous valances, phew, thoughts of starting my own bonnet museum in my head .

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Great progress on this project and I'm enjoying the commentary! It's good to hear honest accounts of what has gone wrong and the headaches you have experienced along the way. Despite the frustrations you are doing a grand job! :cool:

I'm curious about the body colour zinc primer that you are using. I've been using zinc primer on mine, but it's just the ubiquitous silver colour type. By using a body colour one you will have the obvious benefit of having matching colour in those hard-to-reach areas when you come to the final paint stage. What is the brand that you are using and where can you get it mixed up?

61 - 80 of 120 Posts