Volkszone Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I’d wanted to go slightly hot rod and chosen some grey quilted check, luckily for my wallet it was purchased on a Black Friday deal so I got a discount : get in,
I order enough stuff to do the cards front and rear the shelf and also the roof lining.
My 67 had the basic centre only covered so i thought I’d give it a bash.
Just as things appeared to be going my way I hit a snag.
Now the parcel shelf went lovely, using an industrial stapler I had . Couldn’t have been easier , the board being 12mm thick with nice rounded edges, but the staples are 6mm thick or 2mm thicker than the door cards hmmm. Looking on line the only 4mm leg staples I could find were 20 odd quid for 30,000 of the bleeders, this had me close to tears. I carried on searching for a better (cheaper)option and found a kids toy set at wilkos for £1.50 :lol: I’ll have two of the cows for that price, now chuffed at my own genius I set about making the cards.....
Oh dear not exactly industrial strength, whilst I could get a few staples in perfectly, most of them refused to go in :mad: no mater how I tried to modify the staplers , eventually I found and bought a pro stapler from Amazon for £13 quid with enough staples to last a life time :cool: this made things so much easier ,
Have you ever tried to find specific staples? How hard could it be? Well.. there is over 90 different sizes/types and most manufacturers don’t say on there blurb what tacks their product uses :mad: f*#€ing staples , you’d think it was some secret society I was trying to break into. Anyway finally sorted and a fine job it turned out to be , just get the material warm and tack on with nice tension and it looks ok, for a first home attempt and really goes with the seats. Enjoy the fruits people :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Looking really well, love the interior!
Big fan of overiders :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
An epic thread. Glad someone else ends up with 4 of everything. Enjoying the updates. What are the plans for the motor and wheels?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 · (Edited)
Thanks for your comments folks, the interior really did turn out better than I thought, I’m leaving the motor till last .It’s a bit special and already built ( sat waiting for me to finish the car) as for the wheels ,that’s coming along shortly and true to form ,is a chuffing story in its own.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Wow it’s been ages since I last posted to my story.
So to get back into it, the interior was Almost complete, as the plan was for a hi performance motor a selection of various gauges (paranoia clocks?) were a must , at least for the first few hundred miles as early warning of issues can save motors or more importantly coin ( have you seen the prices of some of these engine bits :eek:) I also decided on a fuel/air ratio lamda , thinking of it as an in car dyno , a definite asset when setting carbs up. Down side is they don’t give the bleeders away:incheek: add to that the usual list.
Rev counter
Oil temp
Oil pressure
A/f ratio
And a volt meter ( to fill a spare hole ) .....

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
So where was I? It’s been ages since I updated this :eek:
I had decided to refit the dash back to as stock looking as possible then for some unforeseen reasons I thought I’d mount the clocks in the dash grills, finding some thin stainless I made up some blanks and started playing ( see pictures) I also looked at mounting the Rev counter on the steering wheel stem, check these out

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
The column mount for the Rev counter was an ok idea but you need a very flexible neck to actually be able to see it from the drivers seat, a bit like grovelling for a dropped lighter . So that was out as the planned big motor I didn’t want to taking my eyes off the road to have a cheeky look.
In picture 3 I put the Rev counter in the right side grill, better but looks like a wart growing out of the dash :lol:
Finally went to two clocks in the right side and two on the left. Rev counter mounted above the radio slot
Good .....errr no
I found a twin mount pod that fits nice under the ashtray which made things cleaner, better

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
Also notice the ever changing steering wheels :rolleyes::lol:
At least I’m consistent. Then just as I’d decided on the set up, young jake turns up with a set of auto comp, easy to see (for the older driver :) )bigger gauges that he wanted to deal on ... bugger.. back to the drawing board. Regular readers will be used to the Agatha christi plot twists:rolleyes:
So the huge Rev counter was a must have .once I was offered the set:cool: and was easy enough to mount using the bracket that the previous Rev counter was on, I certainly won’t be able to miss this obnoxious looking item, I can barely see past it :D the other gauges are larger than the stock 52mm so an alternative was needed, after chewing on a few ideas and wanting to be sure before drilling holes i ended up with them under the glove box, that allowed me to return back to the stock dash grills, which I’ll paint black. Also you may have noticed, a 70’s radio for a bug, which slots in nicely with the whole trim idea and so far I’ve only bought one cow, Happy days :D

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Excellent, looking fantastic - thanks for posting really enjoying reading that and look forward to your progress!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 · (Edited)
So a quick discussion about doors, the ones that came with the car were bad, as In, repaired badly , didn’t fit (wonky bottoms) and some rot. So a pair were sourced locally in red and they appeared to be mint, the drivers was quickly painted black and was on the car ,pre resto, now the passenger side was left outside for a year and didn’t fare so well , I then did my usual of spotting a minter mexi door local to me , that the seller said he’d had issues with the paint reacting, ping goes my brain “bet that primmer I’ve got would seal that” so a bid was made and then I’m the proud owner of a mexi door with the added bonus of mirror fitting already in there :) also a dent on the inside under the trim panel, which as it turns out because I’m a lazy bastard is still there :unsure::). Another issue I didn’t realise until just recently was that mexi doors don’t have the pull handle catch thing on the door ,the handles screw through and bolt on after the door card, hopefully I’ll find a door to
cabbage one off ,before this is ready for the road and I forget:unsure:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Oh and to not leave the readers hanging..... the primer did cover the door and not react , and was fairly quickly ready for top coat, hence the remaining dent on the inside is totally forgot about until I almost completely finished painting it :rolleyes:(n)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Next I suppose, let’s sort out the long and complicated wheel story , I’ve always liked bugs from being a kid and a set of tidy rims really makes a car for me, when I had my 67 with wide 5 I thought it was the coolest thing ,but I did strangely envy the 4 x130 guys as I thought they had some better looking wheel options , fast forward to this car and it came with some awesome red empi 8’s with white sidewall tyres and to be fair really suited the car at the time (see page 1) , a quick rub up against a kerb sorted out one of the white walls:confused:(n), and in typical Yorkshire fashion I came across a nice set of cobra slots at a really good price , brum brum ,now your talking, now these super cool 70’s drag wheels ,whilst the epitome of class only come in a strange offset that filled the rear arches nicely but stuck out like a bugger on the front (this seams to be a thing with my wheel choices) and also they don’t clear the sodding calliper, grinding off the tit and using a 5mm spacer got me the space I needed but after enthusiastically miss managing a speed bump the alloy spacer cracked up and half fell out:oops::cry::poop: a steel one was roughly fabricated and I was away once again but I started losing the love , another issue was that the bolts for these wheels are a one off strange device that are rarer than the wheels themselves, and converting to studs was eye watering cost wise (remember I’m a Yorkshire man). Now I’ve always had a favourite rim and never new what they were called , looking a bit mini lite a bit cortina mk4 ghia and at a push empi 8. They came in chrome usually and looked great to me . Eventually I found out that they are called Cyclone Interceptors, cool name:cool: and after casually nosing around I was told of a set but ... they turned out to be 14” not for me as they definitely don’t clear disks :( oh well suppose the slot mags are cool, then... on an Facebook page there they were my holy grail. Typical for me at the other side of the universe. I saw them a few times over the next week or so until they were dropped in price , that was me done . Trembling at the thought of a bargain I messaged the seller , would he post? No was he going to any shows ( remember them?:cry:) yes he was to skegvegas whuhoo so was I , I’ll see you there then kid:geek:

And meet me he did, a top feller too, helped me carry them all the way across the show field to my waiting motor . So what had I got . Well a set of 6 x15” interceptors in silver powder coat ( the chrome doesn’t last till your home usually on these rims) so powder coat has made them future proof, I’m now a happy boy , these don’t run any special bolts and came with center caps all for the sum of ( I almost don’t want to say) £60 yes 60 bucks , my Yorkshire man alarm was melting :LOL: sometimes things are just ment to be.
after sitting and drooling over these for a few days I went to pop them on, and the offset was worse than the slot mags... bugger, well not really I was fitting these no matter what. So the 2” beam would have to be a 4” to sit these where I wanted them. That’s a story for next time . So that’s 3 sets of rims to add to the list:geek:

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Slotmags and interceptors, two awesome retro wheels!!

101 - 120 of 120 Posts