Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a guesstimate, how many litres of 2k paint is needed to spray a split bus.
also hardner and thinners?

plus how much is the ICI stuff nowadays per litre?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it looks like about 8-10 litres then?
any idea on the price of a litre as the two motor factors I use are about £15 a litre difference.

·
Premium Member
48,698 Posts
Decent 2k shoul dbe about £30+ per litre from memory inc hardner.

I'd buy 5 litres and do the outside first - might have enough left to do inside too?

·
Registered
21,813 Posts
Bloke at work said where his dad goes can get the main ford colour (yeah I know) for £15 a litre ie diamond white, rosso red (or whatever red), black, blue

When I go back in I'll ask

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
i done my bay recently . 3 ltrs gave me 3 coats , also inside 1 coat, paid £24. per litre , 1.5 ltrs of hardner and some thinners
came to around £90 all in , :) shop around and play them off against each other , and if you know anyone in the trade , use thier name , but pay cash , !!!

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
There are some really varied answers here, and having sprayed buses and bugs I can throw some light on this. Firstly, it depends on a number of factors...for example how dark is the paint and is the vehicle in primer or just a quick flick onto the same colour, etc.
If you are starting from scratch and have primer then to get a decent coverage I use 5 litres for a bug and 9 litres for a bus. In fact, the 9 litres I just used barely did the inside and out of a bus with no wastage from my HVLP gun. This 9 litres was a pre-mix of base colour that did not require activator, just thinners (around 4 litres of thinners), and has since been covered with a metal flake and then laquered on top.

Mikelkca " 3 ltrs gave me 3 coats , also inside 1 coat"

So what you are saying is that LESS than 1 litre of paint covered an entire bus???? WOW! Tell me your secret, dude...I need to know!

·
Registered
513 Posts
it depends on the paint mixing ratio eg 3lts of paint 3.2.1 will give you 6lts if mixed with 2 parts hardner and 1 part thinners

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rob B said:
There are some really varied answers here, and having sprayed buses and bugs I can throw some light on this. Firstly, it depends on a number of factors...for example how dark is the paint and is the vehicle in primer or just a quick flick onto the same colour, etc.
If you are starting from scratch and have primer then to get a decent coverage I use 5 litres for a bug and 9 litres for a bus. In fact, the 9 litres I just used barely did the inside and out of a bus with no wastage from my HVLP gun. This 9 litres was a pre-mix of base colour that did not require activator, just thinners (around 4 litres of thinners), and has since been covered with a metal flake and then laquered on top.

So what you are saying is that LESS than 1 litre of paint covered an entire bus???? WOW! Tell me your secret, dude...I need to know!
Im gonna do the bottom black, and the top half and inside off white, the top half and inside is already white but the bottom is blue. I am going to use the usual filler/primer then flat this back and either top coating straight on either black or grey primer.
So i was thinking 3-4 litres of white and 2 litres of black...

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
no secrets mate , just done what a mate told me , i had used 2 ltrs primer ( two coats) , then 3 ltrs of solid 2k (3 coats ) , i can show you the receipts if you like , ive never sprayed before , but it hasn't come out to bad , a few on here have seen it , , just been colour sanding it and was gonna buff it up again!
i'd said to him i was getting 5 ltrs of top , and he asked if i was painting a truck :incheek:

·
Registered
507 Posts
today ive just painted my bus to the gutter in 1 colour and inside doors and shuts etc .2 litres of paint 1 litre of activator and about half litre of thinners , using a hvlp deviblis gun at 23 psi gave
1 light coat and 2 heavy. using ppg deltron paint @ £54 litre

i had 4 litres of colour but didnt need any more . still i can always paint it again in a few years :D

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
caddy said:
i had 4 litres of colour but didnt need any more . still i can always paint it again in a few years :D

I don't want to argue with you guys, you do what you do and that's fine. Good luck and all that. I've been spraying for a while now and to achieve the results that I like, I stand by what I have said regarding the volumes. I am unable to achieve satisfactory results by spraying the whole of the outside of a van with just one litre of paint. I have just used 5 litres plus activator and thinners in laquer alone and I'm about to block this off for a final flash prior to buffing in a week or so.
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about...although this bug got a combined colour and laquer application and used around 6 litres plus activator plus thinners...

·
Registered
513 Posts
i painted this viking from the gutter down

i used 2 and half litres of ici EHS PAINT (extra high solids) base coat and
the same again in laquer i used devilbiss pressure pot and a iwata hvlp gun i did not do inside just out side

i spray these for a living

·
Premium Member
48,698 Posts
Rob B said:

I don't want to argue with you guys, you do what you do and that's fine. Good luck and all that. I've been spraying for a while now and to achieve the results that I like, I stand by what I have said regarding the volumes. I am unable to achieve satisfactory results by spraying the whole of the outside of a van with just one litre of paint. I have just used 5 litres plus activator and thinners in laquer alone and I'm about to block this off for a final flash prior to buffing in a week or so.
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about...although this bug got a combined colour and laquer application and used around 6 litres plus activator plus thinners...

Is that Porsche Gulf Blue by any chance?

·
Registered
507 Posts
i would say a lot of differece is due to the paint gun , i know a painter that uses a sata gun and would use twice the paint to achieve the same job, as me .
i used to use a cheap sealy gun and would get through loads of paint.

painters have different methods and use various paint systems,
there are so many variables , so we need to compare like for like, you could easily use up 2 litres of paint on the backs and shuts of doors.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
3,203 Posts
would have thought about 3-4 lts would do it, under 1 for the inside as its already the right colour.
then that leaves 3~ish for the out side
this is +h&t so @2:1 you've got upto 6(without thinners) of paint +5-10% if needed
get a quality paint, but look for the cheaper versions of same paint ie
spies hecker, toyota + a few others excel?? =standox
same for all the major manufacturers they all have their paint in different tins but its cheaper.
if the only colour your changing is the blue to black you're not going to have coverage trouble ie if you were going to but white over black!!, so you woun't need as much + if you get a HS(high solids) it covers even better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts