Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a set on my 2275 and am being told they'll run hot and blow up if I use the car for many miles.
Any experience on this or shall I just run it and be damned to hell?
Bring dingdingding BWaaaaaaaaaaaah BANG! etc etc :)

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
not so much HOT , i just dont think that they will be as affective on a limated budget. , the 44s will make it a restricted flow surely ? Also your gearbox a stock box with the black magic disc I also feel will land you in poop when laying down the rubber. My thoughts where maybe to swap the motor for a less nuts motor, to ease you into it.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I keep saying the 44's will get it running and won't produce the optimum power, but they will do for a short term solution to get it in the car and see how it runs.
48 idf's or idf's will be coming later budget and wedding permitting! :p

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
IDAs i hope you mean ..

BUGGY + DECENT BOX + MOTOR = :)

Oval + Pants gearbox + MOTOR = :(

Oval + Pants gearbox + Slightly less wild box = :)

Just think your motor is too much for what you have ,

Pete Roberts and Dean Weaver all said i had to much motor for what i had money and parts wise.. And i ended up lissening :)

Anyway who cares should be a laugh . :)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Super flow's will run hotter, the cooling fin's are a less effective especialy around the exhaust port area, the ports are too big as well (depending if they are S/F 1 or 2 but neither are good) air speed is more important than air volume on a streetable engine, i would stick with an 044 style head.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was built as an all out race engine for my buggy, but thats gone now and a '53 oval has taken its place. Aiming for street and strip fun so i'm not too fussed about drivability and bigger carbs will be on their way to help it breathe better when funds allow. Along with a better box once this one lunches itself.

·
Registered
14,949 Posts
Yep a set of cnc round port ultra mags 044 44x37 would be a nice set for the spec;) ive got some arriving today for someone, ill get pics up when i get some batterys for my camera later:D

Rob are you wanting that ladder bar rear for the fiat??

cheers james

·
Registered
17,085 Posts
Why is everyone so against my poor little heads?!?
Poor cooling for the street. Some have used them in Cal-Lookers for the street in rare cases. You'd just have to accept the consequences of doing so. I'm sure this has been discussed endlessly on Shoptalk... but it seems to be down at the moment.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Nice set of wedge ports would do you well , still can support the 200hp mark, but with much better cooling. My only concern is that your budget to cool it , i would spend the money on something like a DTM kit to make sure you have enough.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
CB's cnc range of heads are a great choice, we use them on most engines from buses to mild race engines, they cool well, they flow well, your rocker covers won't leak (another superflow problem) and Vw tinware fits them.
To be honest i ran Comp Elims on the road for a couple of years when my car was a daily until the valve guides came loose twice through the heads overheating, the oil temps were good (180f) but i don't think gives a true reflection of the head temps.
On the cooling thing, personally i don't like the porsche style cooling, we have fitted it to a few cars in the past that had stock tinware on previously and they always ran hotter with the porsche style.
I think the porsche fan maybe pushes more CFM but its not directed to the right places also you lose the VW cooler which is actually very efficient.

Daz

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Listen to Dazzer , he has car's running mid 12's with D ported out CNC heads , with FK10 cams , they pull like a train .

I have just tried the same combination on a customers car , it would pull yer face off and just plain ripps all round .

Big ports mean low air speed , by the time you get it going , you will need to change gear and it will bog again .

1 - 20 of 66 Posts