Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i am a muppet when it comes to most things and i watched spermbanks vid he made and on that it had some really nice bugs with the wheels pointing like / that angle how can i achive this on my 1302s :)

·
Premium Member
8,874 Posts
FireDancer said:
You could convert to a swing axle gearbox, but that would be a bit extreme just to look 'cool'. ;)
Yep, conversion to swingaxle is the only way to get any negative camber on the rear wheels. IRS does not cause camber change when lowered, (that's the whole point of the IRS design). Too much negative is not desirable, (even if it looks cool), as it makes the handling wierd. Many bugs you see with that much, don't actually run like that, they probably have airbags, and are only that low when parked.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
IRS does camber, just not as much as swingaxle. ;)

Also, I know a lot of folks that run with the arse in the weeds all day long. Me for one. My daily:

·
Premium Member
8,874 Posts
FireDancer said:
:rolleyes: You've never owned an IRS car then. :rolleyes:

Yes IRS does have camber change, just a lot less.
My T3 had IRS, couldn't get it to sit like that though. is it different for T1 IRS ?
In the face of Tomarse's Photo evidence, I must concede :eek:
Thanks for the explanation. :D

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
My Bug's swingaxle but it shows that as a daily driver, camber's not a problem. As far as I'm aware all old "IRS" VWs will camber. T3s are a bit new for me so I don't know. Unless you mean Type 3, in which case, they too camber. I have a pic at home (of qwan's old Squareback) that shows this perfectly. :)

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
How are IRS bugs able to camber, surely the way the suspension is made it prevents any camber, Swingaxle hubs move independently of the swing axles themselves but IRS hubs are fixed solid to the a bars. Correct me if i'm wrong.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,978 Posts
Tomarse said:
IRS does camber, just not as much as swingaxle. ;)

Also, I know a lot of folks that run with the arse in the weeds all day long. Me for one. My daily:

do you have any problem wearing out the wheel bearings often on account of the oil running back down the tubes to the gearbox?

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
ianbott said:
How are IRS bugs able to camber, surely the way the suspension is made it prevents any camber.
Nope, just reduces it a lot. The IRS main pivot is at an angle, this is why you get the camber change.

ianbott said:
Swingaxle hubs move independently of the swing axles themselves but IRS hubs are fixed solid to the a bars. Correct me if i'm wrong.
What are you on about? Swing axle hubs are fixed solid to the 'swing axles'.

What are 'a bars'? Do you mean the rear IRS trailing arms?

You need to get your head under some cars and have a good look and get your head around this stuff. You really don't seem to understand it at all.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
FireDancer said:
Nope, just reduces it a lot. The IRS main pivot is at an angle, this is why you get the camber change.

What are you on about? Swing axle hubs are fixed solid to the 'swing axles'.

What are 'a bars'? Do you mean the rear IRS trailing arms?

You need to get your head under some cars and have a good look and get your head around this stuff. You really don't seem to understand it at all.
Oooh handbags at dawn eh, not trying to say anyone is wrong just saying what i thoght. By a bars yes i mean trailing arms.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
ianbott said:
Oh and running with a constant camber is no good for your tires(will wear the inside first)
This is nowhere near as bad as people make out. If you run a reasonable size tyre such as a 165/80 at about 26ish PSI then all of the tread makes contact with the road. A majority of the wear comes from the induced toe-in caused when the springplates are repositioned. If you set your rear tracking out as far as it'll go then this is minimised. Or get the Red9 longer springplates (or perhaps some Porche ones) and set it up perfectly.

I'm now booked in to have my tyres changed on the rear of my bug after running low for years. They are the tyres that were on there when I bought it! There's still actually some tread left but it's getting a bit low and one tyre has a slow puncture.

Forsh said:
do you have any problem wearing out the wheel bearings often on account of the oil running back down the tubes to the gearbox?
Not worn out a single rear wheel bearing on the 4 or 5 years I've had it. I admit, it's only actually being used daily for about 2 years of that though. Nothing about them being changed in the the 10 years or so history I have previously either. Done both front bearings though. One of them twice.

There was an (aeronautical or however you spell it) engineer on here a while back that had been running tests on how much lubricant bearings (in general) actually need. The results were that it's only a fine mist every so often.

·
4,978 Posts
Tomarse said:
Not worn out a single rear wheel bearing on the 4 or 5 years I've had it. I admit, it's only actually being used daily for about 2 years of that though. Nothing about them being changed in the the 10 years or so history I have previously either. Done both front bearings though. One of them twice.

There was an (aeronautical or however you spell it) engineer on here a while back that had been running tests on how much lubricant bearings (in general) actually need. The results were that it's only a fine mist every so often.
fair play - its good to rubbish an urban myth once in a while

and if anyone running v.low knows a friendly tyre fitter you could always have the tyres swaped round on the rims to extend their life;)

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Forsh said:
and if anyone running v.low knows a friendly tyre fitter you could always have the tyres swaped round on the rims to extend their life;)
That means you have to spot it before the inner part of the tyre is completely bald! It's not easy to see on cars that low. :lol:

·
4,978 Posts
FireDancer said:
That means you have to spot it before the inner part of the tyre is completely bald! It's not easy to see on cars that low. :lol:
you mean you don't rotate your wheels, rear left to front right & front left to rear right etc... on a regular basis??? ;) :moon:

i've currently got both my 145/65 on the near side and can't stop going round in circles :lol: :rolleyes: :incheek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts