Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 35mm SLR, I've taken pics over time but although the camera is brilliant, my pics looks (to me) very amateur and like "snaps".

As there are some VERY good photographers on here, I'm wondering how you would reccommend I become a better photographer?

I'd eventually like to earn money with it, but for now, would you reccommend I do a course (I already have a basic digital photography certificate, but that was mainly photoshop, and I want to take good photos with the camera!)

Do you reccommend I buy a digital SLR, or stick to the film one for now?

Is it worth learning dark room techniques (there's a college near me that does that) or are film cameras just about dead on their feet (personally I like my film camera, but will I be taken seriously nowadays with it?)

Obviously practise practise practise, but I don't want to learn bad habits.

Ta me lovelies!

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Have a go at darkroom stuff, you'll appreciate it even more when you come to play with digital. I'm still trying to get into using my digital SLR, it's so damn complicated compared to the old film ones I was used to!

But then again you might be something of a 'luddite' and stick with the film. I still think you get better results with a nice roll of B/W sometimes! And it's not cheating, like using Photoshop! :D

·
Registered
952 Posts
i studied photography for gcse and a level years ago with a 35mm film camera, i used to really love that camera, esp the fully manual do everything yourself mode, i've got a digital canon slr now and sometimes i think it's just got too many "user friendly" options.

i'd def have a look around at any local collages for a evening course they'll cover more than just dark room techniques, thing like composition and techniques before you get as far as the darf room / photoshop ;) used to love messing about in the dark room

i think things are going to rapidly get more expensive and harder to get hold of on the film side,

i've got a copy of the book jonny mentioned and a few others that i was thinking about putting on ebay (if i ever get round to it :lol:) if you fancy first dibbs???

·
Registered
26,797 Posts
Keep the 35mm and get a film scanner(im selling one....PM me if interested) scanned film is really cheap.....even cheaper than shooting digital(within reason).....im shooting 35 mm AGFA at 32 pence a roll.....and its only 1.50 to get dev only at asda...with a scanner you get huge resolution and control over the image.

As for photography in general.....IMO go into boarders and buy some mags/photography/fashion or some books.....basic exposure techniques etc....join flickr and browse through the dross.....get your own style.....shoot as much as you can.....

My favorite 'togs are

Philip Lorca Dicorcia
martin parr
Joel Meyerowitz
Bresson
eugen smith
bill klein
garry winogrand

or get on a proper photography course....you will not regret learning traditional photography

:)

·
Registered
25,881 Posts
i'd like to be able to take better pictures. i am known as the kodak ninja for my paparazi show photos, but they aren't real photography. any good shots i have have been pure luck of the moment rather than skill or vision.

i have a basic digital slr and have no idea what most of the settings do. i am reluctant to do a course as i don't want to work til 6 then go on to somewhere else, but i think its really the best thing to do.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I wanna get into photography aswell..but I only use a digital camera ( cos then I can get rid of the crap ones without getting them developed :) )

I was talking to a friend the other day who is professional photographer and I found out he has no qualifications as people only ask for your portfolio and he has taught himself everything by just trial and error.

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Use the 35mm... I found if I only get 36 shots... and its costing me to get those 36 developed I want to understand the settings I am using so I don't fudge up and waste shots... I am on digital now and am quite surprised how many I don't have to delete/spend ages playing with thanks to the understanding I got from the 35mm.

I still love taking my old Olympus OM10 out. So many resources online help... couldn't pin point one in particular that taught me lots. :)

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I have a 35mm SLR, I've taken pics over time but although the camera is brilliant, my pics looks (to me) very amateur and like "snaps".

As there are some VERY good photographers on here, I'm wondering how you would reccommend I become a better photographer?

I'd eventually like to earn money with it, but for now, would you reccommend I do a course (I already have a basic digital photography certificate, but that was mainly photoshop, and I want to take good photos with the camera!)

Do you reccommend I buy a digital SLR, or stick to the film one for now?

Is it worth learning dark room techniques (there's a college near me that does that) or are film cameras just about dead on their feet (personally I like my film camera, but will I be taken seriously nowadays with it?)

Obviously practise practise practise, but I don't want to learn bad habits.

Ta me lovelies!
Depends what you want to do I guess? I have two mates that are into it, one is at college doing a course, the other is working at a local paper as a photo editor and working his way up and learning whilst working. I think his aim is to end up doing sports photography and similar stuff. I'm sure your qualification would give you an advantage is getting a job like this and obviously you'd be earning rather than going to college again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts