Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't expect me to give you any ideas!

If I want to improve the position my site comes up on Google, how would I do that?

I'm sure google keep the the details secret, but what has worked for you?

:)

Wiltsteve

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Links back to your site from other sites help an awful lot on Google :)

**EDIT** Just to clarify this a bit - they have to be from pages relevant to the search being carried out for them to really count ;)

Also, I haven't managed to definitively prove this but content that changes regularly seems to help :)

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
I need to do this to ours too ;)

I read loads of the background google stuff and as carbon says.

- links to associated sites, (for me a page with links to our insurers is going in ;))
- regular changes to the site so the googlebots pick them up help, a forum or news page that's updated weekly etc.

I have also played about with google adwords for the last few weeks too (google sent me a voucher for £70 to spend) and it increased the amount of traffic and got a decent bit of business in from it.

Our site does appear on lycos and that hasn;t cost us anything. Probably as not many people search there. :D

·
Banned
18,443 Posts
Doesn't work. Buying into Adwords won't help either with organic results.
We get about 3 calls everyday trying to charge us to go up on the google listings ..what do they offer ?? ..can you not buy a sponserd link off google direct ?

Some one told me to always put a link to the princes trust and some Aids charity on web sites ..??

·
Bless you, motherfuckers
25,652 Posts
what do they offer ??
Pie in the sky.

Chances are they will get you to the top for maybe a week or even a month by throwing everything at your site to impress you, then the site will quickly slide down the rankings... no one can guarantee the number 1 spot. Don't believe any SEO company that says they know the Google secrets either.

There is a dark art to SEO but it basically boils down to a few keys elements. These elements change every now and then as well.

Its a bit like the old joke: "Can you tell me the way to get to Carnegie Hall?" "Yes, practice, practice, practice."

The way to get good Google rankings is by working at it... don't expect overnight success.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Sign up to EVERY FREE SEARCH ENGINE you can for about a month then for the next month visit your site following the links from every search engine you have signed up for. It's a pain in the ass to do but if you don't wanna pay anything, it's worth doing....Schneeky

·
Bless you, motherfuckers
25,652 Posts
can you not buy a sponserd link off google direct ?
Yes you can and they can be great for traffic. The adwords program relies on people bidding on keywords... the higher the bid, the higher up the list you appear. But, these ads appear in the Ads column on Google, not in the organic list and can be overlooked by people who are cynical, they tend to go for the 'free' results... but if you do have a targeted campaign, I'd look into adwords, they work for some but not all. Those companies that they work for spend the time to look at the stats, enhance or modify their keywords or look at geotargetting specific countries or areas.

Google adwords also appear on sites that have signed up to display them and are relevant to the content... ie on here the majority of ads are for car related stuff, like insurance, better MPG, car covers etc... they read the page that they are displayed on and deliver what they consider to be the most relevant advert.

Buying into the adwords program doesn't automatically give you a higher ranking in the 'free' results... although some time ago it was believed that this way the case.

If you have the budget and the traffic can be turned into sales/leads then its worth trying adwords, but if you have more time than money, spend your time on your own SEO.

·
Bless you, motherfuckers
25,652 Posts
Sign up to EVERY FREE SEARCH ENGINE you can for about a month then for the next month visit your site following the links from every search engine you have signed up for. It's a pain in the ass to do but if you don't wanna pay anything, it's worth doing....Schneeky
You only need to get your site listed on 2 for every other search engine to pick you up... ;)

There is a school of thought that says that submitting your site to Google will get a lower ranking than if Google picks it up itself...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts