Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

need to regulate filter king on my new rebuilt 2180cc engine with dual 44 webers, at the moment is at 6-7psi, loads of popping and flame outs from exhaust and mega fuel consumption, have mounted a cb rotary fuel pump which must be failing or regulator busted because it should be set at 3.5psi, tried to follow instructions on filter king but nothing, it says to take off bolts and turn screw clockwise but worse more psi, turn screw otherway and reduce it to around 4psi.

Can anyone help, thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel pressure gauge came with filter king, suppose its good quality.
I removed top lock nut and second adjuster nut and adjusted screw inside, is this correct, or do I have to adjust just using second adjuster nut without removing it?

·
Chat Slapper
744 Posts
Loosen the top capped nut, adjust the lower nut and then retighten the top nut to adjust the pressure. Adjust it 1/2 turn at a time and then check the pressure until you get it where you want it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried it, nothing, can't get it lower than 4psi, don't think gauge is faulty, checking carbs and it seems there's a it too much petrol going in, maybe have to check out whole fuel layout

·
Chat Slapper
744 Posts
Are you sure you reassembled the regulator proply or it's not damaged from when you took everything out?

Webers can be sensitive little sods to too much fuel pressure (3.5psi max), float level height, or any dirt.

Have you tried running it without the fuel pump connected to see if it idles better as the fuel pressure reduces before it runs out of fuel?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Fuel pressure gauge came with filter king, suppose its good quality.
I removed top lock nut and second adjuster nut and adjusted screw inside, is this correct, or do I have to adjust just using second adjuster nut without removing it?
Yep that's right. The cb pump should be 3.5 regulated so could be something else.
You need to bypass the regulator and check the pressure of just the pump first to get a starting pressure point. Then put the filterking back in and try fully in- fully out and see if this has any effect to rule this out.
If this works you know it's probably something else like a air leak?
I spent some time adjusting mine until I found the gaskets had been re fitted by a numpty and were leaking!

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
20,638 Posts
My filterking has a domed top nut (it does nothing except keep the sh1t out of the adjustment mech) and a lock nut around the adjuster. The dome nut is taken off, the locknut loosened right off and the screw adjusted so that the pressure is no more than 3.5psi. Screwing it anti-clockwise reduces the pressure. The locknut is tightened and the dome nut put back on - job done. I always set the pressure with a gauge in the outlet pipe and not connected to a running engine as the flow screws uo the reading. This obviously works best with an electric pump not a mech unit. this is the method I have employed for the last 30 years and it has served me well.

·
20,638 Posts
Setting a FilterKing pressure is very easy and in truth is only set once unless you change something.

The lower pressure Weber fuel pressure pump delivers its pressure at between 2.5 and 4.5psi. That is not accurate enough for most applications and as I have proven (to myself at least) there is a pressure drop through the standard fixed pipework so you won't know what pressure you are delivering to the carb that could be as low as 1.8psi if my figures are correct.. Irrespective of the carb type all carbs are sensitive to float level and that is in one part determined by the precise fuel pressure

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Agreed, but on a medium performance engine I think far to much science is being applied here :D

I have used these pumps on several medium performance engine to good affect. Even on my own 2185cc engine with 44idf's in my ghia with stock fuel line front to rear. The enigne runs prefect even when the speedo is pointing to the indicator light :D

·
20,638 Posts
FilterKings were originally sold as a fuel saving device for stock carb'd engines and I can vouch for their effectiveness and so can a few mates that all asked me to get them one. Normally up to 10% improvement was noticed so that proves they have an effect and one that can be seen. Making your engine run as optimally as possible should be the goal whether it's bog stock full of bolt on goodies or engineered otherwise it ain't worth putting it on a rolling road under your theory.:D

·
20,638 Posts
...........surely as long as you can keep you float level correct through all running condition there is nothing else you can do with the fuel delivery that can improve performance or economy ?
Absolutely, but if you have fluctuating fuel pressure the shut off point on the float varies a little as well i.e. the float will shut the incoming fuel off earlier at 2.5psi than at 4.5psi so that the float level will vary. Where power is the main consideration slight overfuelling is of no concern but if you are trying to wring the last drop of mileage out of your fuel then having a stable float level is highly beneficial.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nothing, can't get it lower than 4psi, mechanic says to buy a third fuel regulator a pro-flow type so I can lower psi, he also says that regulator in cb-performance electric rotary pump not working so that's why so much pressure, but I've told mechanic even if that's the case filter king should reduce it with no problems, maybe will buy another gauge for filter king to confirm psi before buying another regulator. All these items were bought brand new and can't be all faulty

·
20,638 Posts
The Filterking is a very simple piece of kit so either someone has fiddled with it and put it back together wrongly or I suspect its the gauge not reading correctly. You should be able to close the fuel off entirely (zero pressure) by screwing in the adjuster. Its always the upper limit that is controlled by the fuel pump capability that should cause problems.

Your mechanic should have a pressure gauge in his kit so that he can check the pressure at the pump, the pressure before the FK and then after, all without running the engine, if he hasn't got this kit then all is pure speculation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Loosen the top capped nut, adjust the lower nut and then retighten the top nut to adjust the pressure. Adjust it 1/2 turn at a time and then check the pressure until you get it where you want it.
I have try all that and the king regulator will not adjust just stay on 2psi, does the regulator need to be flat and not on its side.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys,

need to regulate filter king on my new rebuilt 2180cc engine with dual 44 webers, at the moment is at 6-7psi, loads of popping and flame outs from exhaust and mega fuel consumption, have mounted a cb rotary fuel pump which must be failing or regulator busted because it should be set at 3.5psi, tried to follow instructions on filter king but nothing, it says to take off bolts and turn screw clockwise but worse more psi, turn screw otherway and reduce it to around 4psi.

Can anyone help, thanks
i have the same, and i cant see eny leaks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts