Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what I should do - that's replace the pipes and the filler neck rubber because they are all probably 34 years old. So why do I keep lifting the bonnet and boot and trying to find the actual leak immediately the smell re-appears in the hope I'll spot it and tighten a clip and all will be well?

Somebody please tell me to do it properly ;)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh all right then if you insist ... ;)

Seriously does anyone know how much petrol pipe is needed to completely replace it ??

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep think I'm catching your drift :eek:

That pic is bloody frightening did everyone come out unscathed?

·
Registered
668 Posts
pm moby5153 (?) on here. he'll be able to tell you what you need and supply you with the goods :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Elliot101 said:
:eek: is that one of those flame thrower exhausts :D

sorry to the owner, i hope everyone is alright and you weren't insured with wormourwayout insurance services

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I could smell petrol in my 1303 so decided to replace the petrol tube through the length opf the car. The original which ran throught the tunnel was looking rusty so I fitted a new copper pipe down the outside of the tunnel on the passenger side.

Took about an hour to do all in and now I know its not leaking petrol into the tunnel :)

·
Premium Member
8,874 Posts
A common cause of a fuel smell in a beetle bonnet, (if you can't see any leaks), is the braided breather pipe which runs across the top of the scuttle panel. They deteriorate badly, (the rubber dries out & cracks under the braid). Cheap & easy to replace.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dan, Lawrence and Moby. Getting it up on ramps so I can have a good look underneath as there's nothing obvious topside.

·
Registered
480 Posts
bilbobaggins said:
:eek: is that one of those flame thrower exhausts :D

sorry to the owner, i hope everyone is alright and you weren't insured with wormourwayout insurance services
Thought It was a hot tub!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts