Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
26,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You just can't tell when they've perished.

My little car had a very lucky escape...

·
26,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fingy said:
that was close mate :(
Damn right. Even the fire bridage couldn't believe how lucky I was. They said that 9 times out of 10 beetle engine fires leave the car a burnt out shell.

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
M-A-D said:
Damn right. Even the fire bridage couldn't believe how lucky I was. They said that 9 times out of 10 beetle engine fires leave the car a burnt out shell.
flippin ell man

G

·
Damn MAD, that was lucky dude, glad it wasn't worse.
I wouldn't blame braided hoses though, that fuel filter (very often the cause of these fires when they block) cunningly situated right above all the sparky bits (coil and distributor for the technical ones) might be a more likely culprit ;)

Hope you get it sorted alright, I have some bits lying around from my old engine up at Julians if you need some bits to get her running again - just let me know.

Orb

·
26,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
orb666 said:
Hope you get it sorted alright, I have some bits lying around from my old engine up at Julians if you need some bits to get her running again - just let me know.

Orb
Cheers for the offer, chap. :)

I may see what the insurance say, to be honest. The excess on the fire section of my policy is only £100 and at least that way I can get the fan house repainted green, it rewired back there and all the rest.

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
all those nylon trousers chiffon scarfs and viscose shirts you prance about in too youd have gone up in seconds mate ;)

·
Registered
41,019 Posts
:eek: Thankgod it wasn't worse :hug:

fingy said:
all those nylon trousers chiffon scarfs and viscose shirts you prance about in too youd have gone up in seconds mate ;)
:lol: Sorry but that did raise a snigger :lol:

·
Registered
705 Posts
I checked all my braided fuel hoses over when I tuned up my bug a few weeks ago. Gave one a squeeze and got petrol on my hands - it was right next to the dizzy too! If I hadn't checked it I wouldn't have known :(

Made me think really, especially when you see what could happen.

·
26,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fingy said:
And don't forget the hairspray!

·
Registered
599 Posts
my fuel filter is in the exact same place... it hadn't even been clipped on, it was just pushed as far as it could go. I only noticed after i'd reversed it up my drive to charge the battery... the smell of petrol was REALLY strong, checked all the fuel lines, and one of the ends that was coming out of the fuel filter was absolutely saturated in petrol. It was running down the outside of the filter and into the bay.

·
26,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The thing is that I always do a visual on the filter and pipes before I drive anywhere.

Filter definitely looked fine. There wasn't even much gunk in it.

Anyway, let's hope Lancaster Insurance are good, eh?

·
Registered
12,492 Posts
Not nice to hear about that MAD, bummer, but at least it was not worse....

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
orb666 said:
Damn MAD, that was lucky dude, glad it wasn't worse.
I wouldn't blame braided hoses though, that fuel filter (very often the cause of these fires when they block) cunningly situated right above all the sparky bits (coil and distributor for the technical ones) might be a more likely culprit ;)
WHS^^

Still, shame for it to happen. :(

1 - 20 of 38 Posts