Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
try posting this in the Vehicles Wanted section and keep checking the Vehicles For Sale section, you never know what might pop up in there. also check thesamba.com

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
16,345 Posts
there are quite a few good buses that need very little doing to them that are up for sale at the moment which, IMHO, make a financial mockery of the idea of buying a 'cheap' project to do up - there is no such thing as a 'cheap project', costs will always escalate way beyond what you ever envisaged :eek:

Don't know how much you have earmarked for the 'project' but I think you would be better off saving the extra few £k and grabbing one of the bargain buses that are up for sale and on the road already, it will save you both time and a lot of money in the long run! ;)

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
A friend got a split for £400 last year they are still about but as said above it needs major work (not alot left of the rear chassis legs etc etc) it's also an import and not got a V5 as yet.

·
Registered
26,999 Posts
there are quite a few good buses that need very little doing to them that are up for sale at the moment which, IMHO, make a financial mockery of the idea of buying a 'cheap' project to do up - there is no such thing as a 'cheap project', costs will always escalate way beyond what you ever envisaged :eek:

Don't know how much you have earmarked for the 'project' but I think you would be better off saving the extra few £k and grabbing one of the bargain buses that are up for sale and on the road already, it will save you both time and a lot of money in the long run! ;)
qft

·
16,345 Posts
A friend got a split for £400 last year they are still about but as said above it needs major work (not alot left of the rear chassis legs etc etc) it's also an import and not got a V5 as yet.
it would be interesting to know what they spend getting it on the road in the end in regards to both money and time - I suspect it will not be cheap in the end! ;)

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
it would be interesting to know what they spend getting it on the road in the end in regards to both money and time - I suspect it will not be cheap in the end! ;)
It won't be cheap we had a quick look around when it first came in easy spend £2-3k in panels alone plus some of the chassis was missing due to the rot.
Brakes-engine suspension all shot as well.
He want's a rat style bus anyway but unless he's got £10k to spend it won't be anything but (and thats only if the chassis can be repaired) plus he can't weld or anything (no garage to put it in) so add the cost of that and then a respray. BIG £££££

So it won't be cheap

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
to be honest i dont really know, but i recon a HUGE project is to expensive if its 4k or more
Well I bought my RHD split project for 3.5k about 3 years back.I got it cheap at the time.But so far I`ve spent thousands on it...and it`s nowhere near finished.

You`ll need new brakes
new interior
maybe an engine rebuild
new panels
welding
respray
everything.....the list goes on and on,it really does add up.
Unless your able to carry out most of the work yourself,your talking at least £10k on labour and parts alone.
Another thing to think about is,if your doing the work yourself,you`ll need a whole lot of patience and time thats why so many unfinished projects come up for sale.It really does take a lot to see it through to the end.

·
16,345 Posts
to be honest i dont really know, but i recon a HUGE project is to expensive if its 4k or more
but how much can you afford to spend it total, not just getting the initial 'project' itself?

·
16,345 Posts
if you have the skill, time and money to do the work yourself, than massive respect to you :D you will save yourself a big chunk of cash, but do not underestimate the cost of parts and materials to get the project done! :eek:

·
15,990 Posts
Just wait for a while. The bubble has, or will very shortly burst on overpriced busses IMHO. Also, thanks to years of people importing them from all over the world, there are now a lot to chose from in hte UK.

Don´t sweat doing the mechanical stuff yourself. As long as you aren´t a complete mong its not rocket science. Just don´t buy a rusted out heap because its cheap. Thats when you´ll end up paying out the most to have it welded back together.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.