Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an alternator for my polo 2 years ago for £26 but had to take it back as it was the wrong one and apparently they were no longer available for a MK1 or early MK2 polo....

I was looking through their catalogue just now and noticed that they still have them listed but they're now double that price!!! £52.60!!!

100% price hike in 2 years???? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,596 Posts
Say you belong to such and such forum/group and get a further 10% off mate

·
Registered
19,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None in the breakers that were worth using :(

What's really pissed me off is that GSF also want an extra £10 surcharge as you have to give them your old one for reconditioning! The car parts place near to me wanted a £30 surcharge!!! :eek:

There's not even a guarantee you'll get your surcharge back either.

Why can't they just sell you something without all this extra bullshit?? If I'm going to have to pay £60+ for an alternator I want a bloody new one not a reconditioned one.

:mad:

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
Come out of the dark ages a new one would be nearer the £100 mark if you can get one that is

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Surcharges are part of rotating electrics and there's no reason you won't get yours back unless your old unit is obviously beyond re-use (i.e. damaged casing etc). If you want a new alternator you're looking at something like £200+.

Remanufacturers will re-use core parts, such as case and spindle but fit all new working parts. Also, German companies (like Bosch or Hella) have a legal requirement to recycle a minimum percentage so they consider a surcharge is the only way. Currently many Bosch surcharges are more than the actual unit.

Reconditioners will replace items they consider need replacing but happily re-use parts with just a clean up that pass their testing.

Has to be said, £26 for an alternator sounds like a lucky bargain, we've never sold one that cheap!

·
Registered
19,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I'm going to have to scan in the copy of the catalogue I've got from 2004 then :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
I want the moon on a knitting needle, but it aint happening :D

buy the recon and enjoy your motor, or dont and let it rot on your drive.

£60 isnt bad considering you'll get a proper warranty ;)

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
what was the brand of the one 2 years ago... it might of been a cheap aftermarket copy we no longer do....

and the new ones today are bosch or another leading top brand,

if they found that they were having loads of the cheap ones back.... they simply stop selling them.....

mark

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
Cardiff Dubber said:
what was the brand of the one 2 years ago... it might of been a cheap aftermarket copy we no longer do....

and the new ones today are bosch or another leading top brand,

if they found that they were having loads of the cheap ones back.... they simply stop selling them.....

mark
That would be those shitty new starter motors GSF are selling then the centre spindle on them is so loose on most of the ones ive picked up its scary, doubt those will be selling for long they are shite!!!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Cardiff Dubber said:
Not quite, they simply stop ordering them but they carry on selling the current stock, Stan's Rules!

·
Registered
19,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No idea on the brand as the one I was sold was totally the wrong item.

Are these Bosch ones actually new or recon units? When will I get my surcharge back? When I take the old one in or 6 months later when someone decides to have a look at it?

On mine, where the brushes run on the armature, it's worn a groove because of oil contamination (very common reason for failure on early polos). Would a worn out armature be reason to not refund me the surcharge?

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
Surcharge is only payable if you dont have an exchange unit, take old one in pay nothing simple as.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Bosch units are sold as 'Remanufactured' but many are actually new units in the box, partly down to lack of old core.

Bosch will sell you a New unit, they have different part numbers, but it will cost you significantly more - as per previous post.

We refund old unit surcharges on the spot - except where there may be doubt over the suitability of the old unit to be remanufactured (ie the aforementioned damaged case etc) in which case we wait to receive our refund before giving you yours. That said I don't recall not getting a surcharge refunded.

Remember - we pay the same surcharge as you, we're just passing on the charge.

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
Just thought i may have exactly what you want sitting in my living room I will check later, scrub that only got a dizzy left now

·
Registered
19,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The case is fine. It's actually very clean and new looking considering it's age!!

I wonder if they'll let me swap them over on their forecourt if I take some tools with me?? ;)

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Nige G said:
I wonder if they'll let me swap them over on their forecourt if I take some tools with me?? ;)
shouldn't be a problem - air mass meters are always being changed outside ours :D

·
Registered
19,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nic B-C said:
Just thought i may have exactly what you want sitting in my living room I will check later
Now that would be handy.... except you live 2000 miles away somewhere near Scootland!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts