Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a set of 40/44's on my bug :D only problem is I seem to idle at about 1750-2000rpm once the engine is warm/accelerator is pressed, but running 500-750rpm when I first turn the key :confused:

I'm running a 1500 with 1600tp heads, a 009 dizzy with electronic ignition, a standard fuel pump (at the mo) and a dansk sport exhaust (soon replaced with a Streetmax header and mondo)

Anybody got any ideas? Been chatting to some fellow dubbers and they said that the jets might be to big. The 40/44's came off a 1600tp and were running fine (appearently) Don't have any other problem other than a fast idle:confused:

·
Highly Respected Member
13,589 Posts
Sorry, just me being thick. Never had Kadrons so I didn't pick up on it.

Have you balanced the carbs correctly and synced the linkage ?
Valve clearances and ignition timing spot on ?
Any air leaks on the inlet manifolds ? The tin gaskets that you get in gasket sets aren't much good IMHO, get some card ones or cut your own from a cornflake packet.

You should set the idle so that it's around 900 / 950 rpm once the engine is fully warmed up (after a few miles driving, not ticking over on the drive), and I would expect it to idle a little
slower than that until it gets to temperature.

Was the engine running fine before you fitted the Kadrons ?

Have you had a look at the plug colours ?

Dave.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Mr.Whippy. Hopefully got a mate coming round tonight, should be able to sort it then. If not I got two days off ;D so will go through it nut by nut ;)

·
Registered
854 Posts
sounds like you are using the original linkage that comes with these carbs
problem is, as the engine warms up it expands
the linkage does too........but not as quick
so the expansion of your engine is actually opening your carbs
there are several after-market linkages available
( SSP, Machine7, Big Boys Toys etc)
you may find this site helpful
http://lowbugget.com/
;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just been up and had a look with my mate. He thinks it could be the spring, not being man enough. The linkage is slightly modified, a little more beefier

What/where could I get another spring?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guess what I'm doing tomorrow ;) cheers mate will let you know how I get on. Is it worth putting in a shorter/stronger spring as a return spring?

·
Registered
854 Posts
i tried that first......but couldn't find anything suitable
so i used the original and added the springs on each carb
i took them of some old stock solex's
you can tap them for vaccuum advance to use them with a stock dizzy, just need an in line anti-pulse valve (available from eurocarb in reading)
this is how i did mine (throttle body is upside down in pic)
i drilled right thru and used the brass tube from old carb

;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts