Volkszone Forum banner

701 - 720 of 742 Posts

·
Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,730 Posts
I think they’re a good shape and that part of it works well. Much more in keeping with the curvaceous nature of the bodywork than just using ubiquitous round lights for everything. My personal preference is always for coloured lenses though, rather than white ones with coloured bulbs. I like my lights to look like what they are, not all the same; but that’s just my taste, and it’s not me that’s making the car or the choices. :D

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #704
Hmmmmm, anyone would think that there is something happening in the world that is affecting supplies of goods....

So that is the aluminium elbows, the silicone elbows and the pipe clamps no longer available. Looks like I won't be connecting the radiator up as soon as I was hoping!
I've managed to source alternatives but waiting again for delivery, if they actually have them in stock.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #705
They say that if you want to finish a project, you want to aim to do something on it every day. By "they say", I mean "I say" :D

So today I started making the bracket for the water expansion tank.
When I did the diesel conversion in my beetle I learnt that you need a large capacity tank due to the extra volume of water that a front mounted radiator requires. I found one from a Golf R32 is perfect. So that's what I've gone for again.

So I'm making it from 2mm aluminium sheet.

I need to weld the corners but I will go here

It will bolt to the firewall/bulkhead and the the side trays once I've done them.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
Welded up the expansion tank bracket and mountings.
I added a drain tube down in the back corner.
Now, I did say it was going to mount on to the bulkhead, but I've decided to have the bulkhead further forward. This will give me a little area to mount the coil and maybe fuses out of the way from moisture etc.

Some of the hoses turned up today, so I was able to start the plumbing.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #707
I'm not having a hinged engine lid. It will be removable , fixed with dzus fastners. I'd rather not, but at the moment I can't think of a way of doing the hinges that I like. There always seams to be a compromise!

·
I really must get out more
6,159 Posts
Love the lights, though I feel they need some kind of infill or detail piece between them to make them look more "considered" Almost like the grill to the side of the indicator on the front of a 356

center-front-red-vintage-retro-porsche-speedster-sports-motor-car-fantastic-view-gorgeous-immacu.jpg

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #709
Love the lights, though I feel they need some kind of infill or detail piece between them to make them look more "considered" Almost like the grill to the side of the indicator on the front of a 356

View attachment 287957
Hmm, I like the idea. I will be having vents in the front and rear quarters, so I'll wait till I've designed them and maybe have the "in fill" piece in the same design.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #710
Ok, so I've been thinking about the rear lights. Redhouse is right, it needs an in fill piece. So why not make the in fill piece actually a vent?

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
I was making up some of the aluminium waterpipes earlier. I thought I'd show you how I make the swage at the end of the pipe that helps hold the pipe on.
I used to do it with a set of modified mole grips. It took ages and never looked neat. Not that that really mattered, I mean it's not like anyone can see it after the pipe is fitted.
Then I splashed out and bought a proper tool for the job. I really like using it !:lol:

You just have to make sure the pipe end has been cut square.

Turn the handle, wind down the knob...

And 10 seconds later you have a perfect swage :D

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
At the highest part of the system, just after the thermostat, I have added a 1/8" NPT boss and plug. This will help with the bleeding and flooding of the thermostat. The thread size is the same as the temperature sender on my gauge. I probably won't use it though as the original Alfa sender works with my gauge. I got some boiling water and tested both senders with the gauge. The results were close enough for me.

I just need the pipe clamps to arrive

You will notice that the tube frame has some rust forming. This goes back to the day I moved workshops. It was throwing it down!
I plan to get the tubular frame blasted and painted once I have finished welding on brackets etc.

·
Premium Member
12,357 Posts
You will notice that the tube frame has some rust forming. This goes back to the day I moved workshops. It was throwing it down!
I plan to get the tubular frame blasted and painted once I have finished welding on brackets etc.
I do like a man with a plan, especially when it is a good one ;)

nice touch on the plug in the pipe

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #714 (Edited)
I love getting parcels!
Clips and clamps!

I decided I'd try to weigh the car today because I need to sort some shocks out while I'm not a poor as normal.

I borrowed the bathroom scales. With a block of wood the same height as the scale under one front wheel, and the scale under the other. I could the measure each side.
95kg one side, 115kg the other. This is with the body on and radiator in place, but no fuel tank or coolant.

The rear exceeded the scales range. So I used a block of wood one side of the wheel, scale the other and bridged the two with a steel plate.

The reading was then doubled. I made sure the wheel was in the centre of the "bridge" so it would be even. I moved the car and measured again. In total I took 3 readings for each side then worked out the average.
164kg and 144kg.
This is without any body work (haven't made it yet !) But with the wooden buck in place. The engine is in and has coolant. There are some Mazda mx5 seats in along with a load of junk. Also there is only one door frame made.

I think I can add around 20kg in the front for fuel and water. The back will be about right, possibly end up lighter as the wood buck is heavier than the aluminium skin.

So the totals

Front axle 210kg plus fuel and water = 230kg
Rear = 308kg plus door frame etc 320kg

Total I estimate around 550kg.
With 115 horse power = 209 bhp per ton.

Should make it fun to drive!

I was a little surprised that the weight distribution was as good as this. The alfa engine has a cast iron block. I was expecting much heavier back end.

I'll measure it again when it's finished to see how close I am with the estimate. I think anything under 800kg will be fun though!

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,528 Posts
I think anything under 800kg will be fun though!
I agree - its like having a Ghia with getting on three times it's orginal power.

Thanks for keeping this up to date - I am really enjoying following it. :cool:

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #716
That's the shocks ordered.

Protech of course! Thank you Colin aka Brownbug.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2021
9,414 Posts
Almost.

Actually the front light fron a mid 60's S type

Although, I may change my mind yet.... :lol:
They were fitted to a few'60s Jags, but you can sometimes find pretty clean ones attached to Rickman Polaris bike fairings from the '70s and '80s.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #718
A few years ago I made a grill for a ferarri 275. I had the pieces laser cut. It was the same price for one as it was for two .....

What do you think?

I'm going to flatten the bottom of the opening and incorporate a numberplate fixture.

701 - 720 of 742 Posts