Volkszone Forum banner
741 - 760 of 788 Posts

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #741 ·
Have you got a first real test drive date / target in mind ?
My daughter wants me to take her to her school prom in it. Thats June 2022.

All the expensive bits have been bought now, so its just time that needs spending on it now. Its a balance between this project and my customers cars. I try to do at least one thing on it each day.

If I take the front bodywork off I could drive it around the off road site where my unit is. Although I only have a hand brake at the moment so that may be a bit dodgy! Of course I may be plumbing the brakes next..... or maybe start the rear bodywork. You will have to wait and see :D

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #743 ·
I've been busy progressing this recently, so here is a little catch up.

The new drums came and fitted straight on with no issues.
I made a plywood buck for the "headrest scoop" and rear wing. This plywood has been used to make 4 different bucks now. I think I need to pop down to the timber yard and get some new stuff!

I debated with myself for ages regarding the rear body openings. A "clamshell" would be cool, but too Porsche. The area behind the front seats will be storage so it would be nice to get to it from above. Then I also needed to get to the engine.
I could make the whole centre section of the back lift up, but that's a big panel if the wind gusts! So I've decided to have the back top panel split across the car. The hinges will be in the middle, so the luggage area cover will hinge from the back and the engine cover from the front. Hope that makes sense!
To enable the hinges to do their job but remain hidden I needed to design my own. Of course I did, it wouldn't be simple would it?!
So out came the lollypop sticks.......

Then made from stainless strip
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Purple Wood Rectangle Font Bookmark
Wood Road surface Flooring Grey Floor

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #746 ·
A bit later on I'll do a video to show how they work.
In the meantime I've also began making the rear body.

I needed to turn the car round so I can work on the other side. I sort of went the long way round and ended up taking it for a raz round the complex where my workshop is. I did remove the bodywork for this though.

I only got up to 2nd gear, but I can tell you it absolutely FLIES!

I'm even more enthused to get it finished now!

This morning I've welded up the passenger roll over hoop.
So that it, you're caught up.

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #752 ·
Another dreary bank holiday! Still, it may be stormy outside, but the workshop is dry and warm....

When I turned the car round I remembered that I haven't quite finished the front bodywork yet! Never mind, it's quite a simple panel and won't take long. When I can be bothered!
No, today was all about continuing with the rear. Specifically the passenger side head rest scoop.

Starting to take shape. I like it.

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #754 ·
Although I'm sticking with the marathon wheels, I don't have the centre caps. The thing is, I don't really like them. Too shiny. Too sticky-outy. Shout VW too much and, well way too expensive for a mint set. Then the other day I noticed that VWHeritage were selling some black plastic ones.... for £8. Annoyingly they only had 3 in stock. They were described as genuine VW.
So I ordered a couple.

Yes they have a VW part number inside. Yes they did indeed clip into the wheel centre. But they still stuck out too far and we're quite a loose fit. No good really......unless.....
I ground the taps off and fitted it between the wheel and drum brake at the back.

Result!

The wheels will be painted silver with black centre's as per original so these caps will fit right in. If VWHeritage don't get any more in stock it's not the end of the world because they don't look that different to the front bearing caps.
So that's one more thing ticked off the list.

I've been doing a fair bit of planishing of the rear scoops I made. Nothing to photograph really, but essential.
Oh and I have got hold of a rear view mirror I like! It's from the USA originally for a 1930s Ford of some sort. Its a repo obviously but is great quality. I'll get some photos later.
I still need to decide on wing/door mirrors. Typically the only ones I've seen that I like are in Italy and very expensive due to them being for a ferarri. If you think vw scene tax is high, you have NO idea! Lol

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #756 ·
Mirror.

Initially I thought I would replace the mounting bracket. But now I've seen it, I like it! It will fit nicely to the tube on the edge of the dash. Not that I will be able to see much behind me with the rear scoops!

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #760 ·
Any updates Dave ?
Not really, I've ordered some dash warning lights..

Oh and I've made the nearside front quarter panel. A very simple panel so I didn't photograph it. However.....
To weld it in I took the front off and stood it up in the centre of the workshop. I clamped the earth on and the weight of the cable pulled the whole thing over. I couldn't catch it in time and it fell against my cast iron folder. The top of the wing hit the angle on the folder and left a lovely crease right across the top! Doh!
This is why I'm leaving the final planishing (smoothing) until just before I do the final fit of the body.
I've also ordered a pneumatic planishing hammer. It's going to get a LOT noisier in my workshop lol

741 - 760 of 788 Posts