Volkszone Forum banner
761 - 780 of 788 Posts

· Premium Member
12,623 Posts
Not really, I've ordered some dash warning lights..

Oh and I've made the nearside front quarter panel. A very simple panel so I didn't photograph it. However.....
To weld it in I took the front off and stood it up in the centre of the workshop. I clamped the earth on and the weight of the cable pulled the whole thing over. I couldn't catch it in time and it fell against my cast iron folder. The top of the wing hit the angle on the folder and left a lovely crease right across the top! Doh!
This is why I'm leaving the final planishing (smoothing) until just before I do the final fit of the body.
I've also ordered a pneumatic planishing hammer. It's going to get a LOT noisier in my workshop lol
ouch, sorry to hear about that

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #762 ·
You know how I kept changing my mind regarding engine choice? First air cooled, then Alfasud 1500, then 1.9 vangon and finally settled on alfa romeo 33 .
Then it was the deliberating over the wheels.

Well, erm, I'll just leave this picture here....

Sorry Ernie

The deal was finally done on the porsche wheels. I now have a full set. I think they look the business! 3kg lighter per wheel than the marathons. Quite a saving on the unsprung weight.

· Premium Member
12,623 Posts
You know how I kept changing my mind regarding engine choice? First air cooled, then Alfasud 1500, then 1.9 vangon and finally settled on alfa romeo 33 .

Sorry Ernie

View attachment 293998

The deal was finally done on the porsche wheels. I now have a full set. I think they look the business! 3kg lighter per wheel than the marathons. Quite a saving on the unsprung weight.
I have to say they do look pretty cool, so it is a (y) (y) (y) from me :)

BTW, what is the red car trying to sneak into the pic ?

· Administrator
69,525 Posts

Sorry Ernie

View attachment 293998

:cool:🤙

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #770 ·
Every day that I go to my workshop I see this sitting there. I'm concentrating on restoring my beetle at the moment, but I keep looking at this!
There is part of the rear wing I made that I'm really not happy with. I see it every day. Every day I cringe a little! It's the return on the top, where it flows into the top deck. I put it too low down so the wing won't line up. It has bugged me for months! I hate redoing work, so I left it.
Until last Saturday that is. I had a full day "playing" in the workshop. I had intended to work on the beetle, but I decided to sort this irritating issue out instead.
It didn't take long to correct so I made a bit more bodywork. The rear wing now meets the engine lid aperture and the area behind the B post is now made and welded in.
I have also decided on how the rear corners are going to look, and made a start on the wood buck. I am tempted to make a little flick up, like a spoiler across the back. Not sure yet.

Anyway, a couple of pics for you

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fender

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #773 ·
The rear panel is still to be finalised. I have two ideas but I'll see how the rear corners go first. Talking of rear corners, the first is well on the way. I actually changed my mind how it would look as I made it. The buck I made that I was working to looked fine.....until I made the panel. So I've squared it off a little at the lower edge. It'll be fine!
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #774 ·
Oh and the rear light choice will depend on whether I need to get a BIVA test on it. If I do, it most probably will be Land Rover style as they are approved. If not, my choice is to reperpose some jaguar lights. I much prefer the jag ones but they don't have the E mark so no good for the BIVA.

Although I could just run the car without notifying the DVLA, I prefer to keep it all above board so to speak. My interpretation of the rules are that this can be classed as a rebody and therefore keeps the original registration plate and would only need a standard MOT test. But I have heard that DVLA are really tightening up, so I'm preparing myself to the possibility of needing a BIVA. I've built it to the regulations, so I have no problem with the car, my only issue is that I don't want a Q plate.
I think I need to open the can of worms and contact DVLA for advise. ......

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #776 ·
Now, I know what you've been thinking. I understand. It has been keeping me awake at night too.
Well now I can put your (and mine) mind at rest and answer the question, what am I going to use for a fuel filler cap?
I am still building this to IVA standards, just in case. The rules state that the filler cap must be tethered and pass the "no sharp edges on protrusions ". There has been some more rules regarding a reducer to prevent using 4 star fuel but I don't think they apply anymore. There are other rules regarding a lockable cap and fuel tank venting. Who knew a basic fuel cap could be so complicated? !
My rules state that it must look cool, not be the obvious and be cheap! Lol

Recently I've been working on a Jaguar XJ6. Just some rust repairs. Not really my bag, but it pays the bills. Anyway I kept looking at the jags filler cap. ....
Car Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Hmmmmm a quick online search and I can buy a new complete assembly for a little over £500! Er, no.
Then trusty Ebay came good with a secondhand one for £15! That's better!
I made a recessed panel to mount the filler assembly complete with a drain tube and hole for a vent tube.
Musical instrument Hat Grey Automotive tire Serveware

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Auto part

And it's going somewhere around here
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Just need to weld it in and jobs a good un! I won't be welding it in yet though, I'll wait till I've finished the front boot opening.

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #779 ·
Will that pass the BIVA radius test?
You have me thinking now! Lol
It needs to be 2.5mm radius. The ends of the raised bit are fine. The sides may not pass. If I do have to get an IVA I'll radius the sides of the raised bit with a grinder. The chrome has slight pitting, so I could always get it rechromed after the grinding.

761 - 780 of 788 Posts