Volkszone Forum banner
781 - 788 of 788 Posts

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #781 ·
Hi
The prom is next June.
I'm currently focusing on getting my old beetle (Daisy!) back as my daily driver. The details are on my other thread "tdi conversion and back to stock"

Do you keep in touch with anyone else from Avalon?

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 ·
I've changed my mind AGAIN on the rear lights.

I've also changed my mind AGAIN on the gauges.

The new rear lights are vw (well the stop and tail light is, the indicator is still jaguar xk150 )

The gauges are late beetle 100mph speedo and vintage Veglia tachometer

Probably

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #783 ·
This project hasn't had much time spent on it for a while. That's because I've been restoring my '66 beetle. That's done now and mostly painted. Today I moved it back home to finish the build there.

This is really good news all round. It means I'm closer to driving the beetle again, and it means that work will commence on The Special. Saturdays will now be spent on this.

It's a good job really because my deadline is the end of next June, 7 months away. That's when my daughter wants me to use it to take her to her school Prom.
Luckily the expensive stuff is all bought ( except the rear lights, yep I've changed my mind AGAIN! ) so it's just time I need to put in it. The design is finalised so I don't even need to put much thought into it. ....

This leaves a gap in my head. I need to be planning/designing something all the time. I like projects. My only rule is that if I say I'll do it, I will!
I currently have a thread on a DIY fuel injection project, so that has partly filled the gap in my head.

But last week something happened! Something has caught my eye and set my brain into overdrive! When I started to tell Mrs DC66 I got the biggest eye roll I've ever seen, so I know I'm on to something......

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #784 ·
Nothing will start until the special is finished, but the ideas and designs are coming thick and fast already...

You see, I had a wonder round the industrial estate where my workshop is last week. I got chatting to one of the chaps on the other side of the complex. An interesting guy, he imports project motorcycles from USA by the container load and sells them on. Although I have no interest in motorbikes, I'm always amazed how many he fits inside a shipping container!
Last week I noticed a frame and wheels proped up against a wall, looking very sorry for itself.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Vehicle Automotive tire

It is/was a Kawasaki. Its been modified he thinks for drag racing, longer swing arm, shorter struts etc. He can't find anyone to buy it and has offered it to me FOC.

Now imagine that clad in swoopy, flowing aluminium with an electric motor.... a partner to the Special......

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #787 ·
After what seems like an endless thought process, I am finally happy with my rear light choice!
I can't believe how much thought (and money!) has gone into this!
I've gone from simple Lucas Land-rover lights, jaguar mk7 clear lens wrap round ones, jaguar xk150 lights, but none of them felt quite right.

After selling a kidney and one of my children, I now have a set I'm happy with.

So, here they are....

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Automotive lighting Amber

Yep, VW lights from an early Type 2.
Although the red one does have built in reflectors, I'll add a pair of round, chrome edged ones I bought. I think those will go a little lower, separate from the main lights.

So that's it. Decided. No going back. End of sleepless nights.

Ah, numberplate light....hmmmmm let me think. ...

· Premium Member
12,623 Posts
After what seems like an endless thought process, I am finally happy with my rear light choice!
I can't believe how much thought (and money!) has gone into this!
I've gone from simple Lucas Land-rover lights, jaguar mk7 clear lens wrap round ones, jaguar xk150 lights, but none of them felt quite right.

After selling a kidney and one of my children, I now have a set I'm happy with.

So, here they are....

View attachment 303275

Yep, VW lights from an early Type 2.
Although the red one does have built in reflectors, I'll add a pair of round, chrome edged ones I bought. I think those will go a little lower, separate from the main lights.

So that's it. Decided. No going back. End of sleepless nights.

Ah, numberplate light....hmmmmm let me think. ...

good choice, thumbs up from me :)

781 - 788 of 788 Posts