Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

i need some help and advice for my 1971 1302s bug.

Driven to work and was fine, however when leaving work I noticed the barrel was dipped/lower than the usual level position when key is removed. it was at the level once the key is in and at turn 1.

As a result, I was was unable to insert the key. No wriggling would get the key in, it only goes in half way. Luckily the steering is not locked.

The car is still at work and couldn't set to work as no tools.
Before I tackle it, could anyone advise of make suggestions to get the barrel to the normal position? or will I need to replace the barrel. Not my ideal route given all the locks and ignition are all original.

Many of the step instructions/videos I have seen suggest the key needs to be in the lock to have it removed?

Any suggestions and advice would be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I've been doing virtually the same thing on a '67 Bug this evening!

I've had to remove the assembly (easier in the '67) then you can see how and what needs doing.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
The barrel in the car I was working on would not accept the key - and the barrel did not line up with the hole in the dash.
The barrel/dash was an easy fix - loosen the mounting screw and re-align, however I then took the ignition switch out and took the barrel out of the switch and the switch terminals are welded solid - so a new ignition switch is being ordered (all the existing parts are repro, not original VW)

I will re-key the new switch (all being well) to work from the original key, assuming the original key goes into the barrel. The repro barrel doesn't fit into a Genuine switch

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Managed to pop loose.
A tumbler within the barrel must have become stuck, put a thin screwdriver into the slot and it eventually popped.

*phew*

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still having issues if some one can advise of possible fault.

Barrel regularly fails to pop up when the key is removed.

Does this just need greasing (i have tried spraying WD40 without dismantling) or is this irreparable and better to replace the barrel?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts