Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bimbling home in my 72 Beetle yesterday, engine lost power then died. Lost all warning lights, horn, headlamps and the starter itself. Car now home and I have determined that the power to the ignition switch is OK, by taking the plug off the back of the keyswitch. There are three terminals in adition to the supply. Shorting out in turn to the live one does the following: Starter engages and turns engine; next one powers headlamps, and the last livens up the radio. However none activates the wipers or brings up the oil and charging warning lamps. The workshop manual wiring diagram is insufficient to help me any more. I believe it should be possible to rig temporary switches to substitute for the action of the ignition switch, using the key for the steering lock only. Does anyone have a circuit diagram or any info to help me understand this fault. The next question of course, is how do I eventually remove and replace the ignition switch ? Many thanks in advance !

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
None of the usual wiring diagrams show the details of the ignition switch.

Your plug-in switch looks like this from the socket end:

Connect:

30 to 15 for Ignition
30 to 50 for starter
30 to "X" for headlights (and wipers usually)
"SU" Ignore, if present

Replacement of the switch part is not fun.
See:
http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/ing_switch.replacement.htm
Further annoyance is the fact that new replacement switches are
of terrible quality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your time and the helpful circuit. As suspected; the ignition switch is shot. However the problem was masked by a poor connection made when the beetle was converted to alternator. The main leads were just taped together and I think the extra resistance may have contributed to the demise of the switch. Second was a loose connection on the fuse terminal to the indicator unit, which also powers the oill and charge lights. Fitted an external switch and will buy a flick switch fror the starter. Just touching the starter connector with the temp switch on and the engine roared into life. Yay !!!!!. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts