Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Built my own years ago, was top of the range everything at the time, AMD Athlon 2600+Barton with Watercooling, £320 Geforce 4 4600 Titanium graphics card, 1GB Corsair DDR RAM, 120GB HDD space (2x80GB), 600watt PSU and all pluged into a top notch ASUS AXV333x (I think that's the model) Motherboard. I'm still using it to this day, it's never let me down. Was the first pc I ever built too, now I build them for family and friends, now it takes me all of about 10 mins to build one and start installing Windows.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
built mine with a mate bout 2 and a half years ago, need a new one now, was top of the range then but soon gets outdated if your a gamer.

Shouldn't take too long to build, but if it's expensive and your first take your time, you dont wanna blow it up

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Built my own years ago, was top of the range everything at the time, AMD Athlon 2600+Barton with Watercooling, £320 Geforce 4 4600 Titanium graphics card, 1GB Corsair DDR RAM, 120GB HDD space (2x80GB), 600watt PSU and all pluged into a top notch ASUS AXV333x (I think that's the model) Motherboard. I'm still using it to this day, it's never let me down. Was the first of pc I ever built too, now I build them for family and friends, now it takes me all of about 10 mins to build one and start installing Windows.
things do change quick but id still say some are running alot slower
actually the pc im running now is old but good and if you know your pcs its running rimm memory which is quick for its age

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
how many on here built your own and hows it going
Bet I've built more PC's than most on here :D Currently putting together a Server 2003 Domain Controller for home. Modest system, AMD3200 with 1gb of RAM. 2x 120Gb HDDs, 1x 40 Gb HDD 1x 30Gb 1x 250gb. All RAIDed up for some real good reduncancy and to do exactly what I need.

Going to be running web server, exchange (e-mail) server and will be used to for storing important files and running downloads overnight. It'll also be acting as a router (seeing is at how it achieves higher throughput than the belkin, which is worrying). Eventually I'll put in a lot more hard disk capacity but, as you can probably tell, it's a botch of what I had lying around.

Eventually, when I pull my finger out, I'll put on openbsd and run a proper firewall, too.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
built mine with a mate bout 2 and a half years ago, need a new one now, was top of the range then but soon gets outdated if your a gamer.

Shouldn't take too long to build, but if it's expensive and your first take your time, you dont wanna blow it up
ive messed at it before but more old stuff not sata ive not gone super quick as im changing everything and its expensive
probably spent what you would on a shop bought pc but it will be better for the money

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bet I've built more PC's than most on here :D Currently putting together a Server 2003 Domain Controller for home. Modest system, AMD3200 with 1gb of RAM. 2x 120Gb HDDs, 1x 40 Gb HDD 1x 30Gb 1x 250gb. All RAIDed up for some real good reduncancy and to do exactly what I need.

Going to be running web server, exchange (e-mail) server and will be used to for storing important files and running downloads overnight. It'll also be acting as a router (seeing is at how it achieves higher throughput than the belkin, which is worrying). Eventually I'll put in a lot more hard disk capacity but, as you can probably tell, it's a botch of what I had lying around.

Eventually, when I pull my finger out, I'll put on openbsd and run a proper firewall, too.
sounds like you know your stuff mines maybe basic to you but good for me if it all works ok:D

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,402 Posts
I haven't put a PC together for years, about four years ago I bought a laptop and have never used a proper pc since. The last tower I built was a AMD Duron 800, 256mb of ram, 2 x 30 gb drives, a 32mb Nvidia TNT2 and a DVD/CDRW combo drive. It was a good machine at the time, it died recently when the power supply failed, it has spent the last 3 years as a server on our home network, just a good place to store backups and a print server.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Put together the 1st PC I owned under the supervision of a mate maybe 3 years ago. I was told "you want it, you put it together" We went through boxes of bits & created a full system.
Since then I've built 4 or 5, I think. I'm frequently exchanging stuff on my boxes, my mates have a tendency to give me their old PCs so I get to improve mine.
Got to put together a dual-core next week for a mate, kinda scary tbh, my flashiest is only a P4(2.6G).

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Wowsers, i remember the joys of building my first PC.. was more joyus that i could afford the parts than anythign else i guess! Oh, it was a 486, for the life of me i remember very little about it although i had to bodge it into a really naff case as i couldnt afford a new one along with the parts :)

Since then.. built a few, modified many.. but am liking the use of works PCs and not having the hassle ;-) Been meangin to build one for the bay though.. have a part dismantled notebook though so think i'll cheat!

enjoy.. and good luck :)

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Oh yes! Several years ago I built my home PC, Athlon XP2500+ running as an XP3200 with watercooling. Still using it now and its plenty quick and powerful enough to do the things I want to do. I build all the PCs for work and the odd machine for friends and family. :)

Now I have the second PC on the desk which is going to be for the van

Its rather small and is very capable of doing everything I need it for. Just exploring and testing the Linux route on it at the moment. Planning to use it for DVDs, MP3s, Sat Nav, Wireless Internet etc. :D

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Oh yes! Several years ago I built my home PC, Athlon XP2500+ running as an XP3200 with watercooling. Still using it now and its plenty quick and powerful enough to do the things I want to do. I build all the PCs for work and the odd machine for friends and family. :)

Its rather small and is very capable of doing everything I need it for. Just exploring and testing the Linux route on it at the moment. Planning to use it for DVDs, MP3s, Sat Nav, Wireless Internet etc. :D
I'm looking into them too.

I love the fact that the linux community is catering for those less resource hungry than the avg PC Gamer ;).

Hurray for efficient, small, simple Operating Systems ;).

I've always made my own machines, usually using second hand hardware (or donated) and anything I can't/don't use I give to charity or friends who'll recycle them

Even my dead boards get turned into alternative jewlery.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
lots of ppl seem to think alike!

Im still running my 4 year old system, AMD athlon 2500 running at 2.2ghz (3200 :)), 2gb ram, 2x12ogb hard drives. Just put a ATI 1950pro 512mb graphics card in it, complete overkill but wanted to prolong its life a bit and it now plays all my fave games at 1600x1200 at max settings which i find quite funny :D not bad for a £90 upgrade!

now ive got HD compatibility im thinking of re-homing it in a quieter case and buying a huge TV and using it as a media center pc. Although it is pretty quiet as when i had some car sound deadening left over recently i used it all up inside the pc case hehe

Been thinking about replacing it with a laptop, but to get something significatntly better id have to spend at least £1500 :(

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
3,529 Posts
heres mine:

done alot of cable management since, got rid of the horror of the IDE cd drive with its massive cable and onto sata. Lapped quad core with lapped ninja, 4x2.7ghz (kept it mild for the moment). 8800gt, it can run solitaire quite quick... oh and crysis on high without a hitch.

done it all myself, bit nerve racking sanding the cpu but meh, the beer helped me through it. :-D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Start to build my upgrade tonight. Havent built my own for years. Just hope I remember it all. This one will have Asus board, Athlon 5600 64x2, 256 ati graphics and 4Gb ram. Just a 300 Gig hard drive but have a 750 external drive for music/pics/video. I use flightsims so resources are often stretched.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I built my own about 3 years ago and keep upgrading as I go along. Used bits left over from my last PC as well as new stuff. All of the old kit is out of it now as it's been replaced.

Nothing fancy, but always rates highly when I run it through PCPitstop

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

was about to ask where you got that case from, but itx-warehouse by chance?? :lol:

how are you going to power it in the van, inverter or a 12v dc - dc converter thingy? cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.