Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few hours :eek:

I'm not ready as usual :lol: & nerves are kicking in, my lovely dad is taking me to the airport for the 7 hrs 40 min flight on my todd, whats the bet I get sat next to a right weirdo :rolleyes:

Any tips of things I should see? I'm there till Tues :D

Huge thanks to James who has organsied this trip for me & will be at the other end (hopefully) waiting :D :hug:

Right I'm off to say a tearful goodbye to the kids & start packing :eek:

Don't do anything I wouldn't do this weekend guys ;)

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I heard a rumour you didn't even know which airport your going from :lol: :lol:

Have a great time hun, see you when you get back :hangloose

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
The guy rang and said it was really p*ssing it down there so go another day! we have first refusal on it ;)

Anyhow, have a good trip - when you get on the plane start twiching and winking alot, make the odd loud noise every so often, you might find that no one wants to sit next to you ;) mmmmmm extra room :D

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Have a lovely time won't you. :hug: And if you don't like where you're sitting, just ask to move. I did on a flight to Canada and ended up with a whole row to myself so I could lie down. :)

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
DONT forget anyt molboro lights ill buy off you whrn you get back for 20<23 a carton ;)

·
Registered
27,004 Posts
Vicster said:
In a few hours :eek:

I'm not ready as usual :lol: & nerves are kicking in, my lovely dad is taking me to the airport for the 7 hrs 40 min flight on my todd, whats the bet I get sat next to a right weirdo :rolleyes:

Huge thanks to James who has organsied this trip for me & will we at the other end (hopefully) waiting :D :hug:

Right I'm off to say a tearful goodbye to the kids & start packing :eek:

Don't do anything I wouldn't do this weekend guys ;)
put loadsa conditioner on ya hair :eek:

hava great time :)

·
Click here to delete.
20,566 Posts
Vicster said:
Ground Zero springs to mind.

There's a Ground Zero museum too. I've not been and it might not be your bag, check the web first.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You could drop in to Coyote Ugly. If I remember right it is on 1st Avenue, and I'm going out on a limb but I think it's between 8th and 9th streets. It's been a while now though so I may be mistaken.
You get the barmaids dancing on the bar but I'll warn you now - it is a complete and utter DIVE!

A bar you really should go to though - Motor City. It's on Ludlow Street Between Rivington St and De Lancey St.
This is on the Lower East Side. It isn't exactly the nicest of areas (a bit grotty) but I went there with a local when I was out and had a chuffin great night.

Beer taps are pistons.
The toilet door handles are steering wheels.
If I remember right there was a huge illuminated Ford sign behind the bar.
Good beer (They had some from a Brooklyn brewery, a nice pale ale I forget the name of - and they also had Newcastle Brown. Haha)
One of the best bits though was sitting down at the Ms PacMan table with a beer and a pile of quarters. Had a top night there.

If you do go out anywhere for a drink - make no mistake - BRING ID ! ! ! I went out in a group of 4 (me and 3 guys who were at one of the hostels I stopped at) - I was the youngest there at 23, the oldest was just shy of 30 and every one of us got asked for ID when we went into Coyote Ugly. Pretty sure I got carded in motor City too.

If you're remotely interested in bboying (or breakdancing if you really must call it that) then keep your eyes peeled in front of the monument at the south end of Union Square (14th street) it shouldn't be too late in the year to see people there in the afternoons.

Job number 1 when you get there has GOT to be to buy a metrocard. There's no easier way of getting around the city, and often it is quicker than taxi. I arrived in JFK, took the skytrain for about $5 to the A train. Then bought a 1 week metrocard for $21. They run all day everyday - you really can't beat it.

Obvious ones are Empire State - 5th avenue (if you fancy a walk it's not tooooo far from 14th street and Union Square) Arrive early if you don't want to queue up for half the day. That is, if you're into touristy stuff like that. I wouldn't have minded going for the view in the early morning or late evening/sunset - but I couldn't be paying out that much money then.

World Trade Centre. I'm not sure what the state of play is with the Subway around there. A lot of it was destroyed when the towers came down, I got off at Wall Street (If I remember right - may be mistaken) and walked. Don't expect much - when I was there it was like a huge construction site with a totally over the top "safety fence" there. But it was awe inspiring to see the sheer size of the place. Look out for a guy with a flag on the side of a subway entrance. When I was there was just after the Madrid bombings. He cuts up books of matches to a vague resemblance of the New York skyline on the morning of 9/11. Then lights the towers to make smoke. I still have the one he made for me while we were chatting.

Thake the ferry to Staten Island. I'm not sure if it is always free, but it was free when I went - might have used my metrocard - can't remember. You get a fantastic view of Manhattan, come fairly close to Liberty Island (which you couldn't get onto back then) and is a LOT cheaper than the liberty boat tour - ie. free.

I'd have gone for a helicopter ride if I'd not been skint - kinda clichÈ but hell - it's an incredible city so why not go for that view? :p

Where are you going to be staying? There's probably not a city anywhere in the world with more to do than New York, so knowing where you'll be based might open up a few ideas.

Oh and one bit of advice...
The thing I was told by everyone I knew out there was "don't look like a tourist". I said "well, I am a tourist - so how do I do that?"

The most common answer was "don't look up".

Tourists wander around gawking at the buildings because they are absolutely immense - just like everything in New York - the sheer scale of it will knock you sideways.
You don't want to miss the sight of the skyscrapers from street level though. I used to walk along, find a likely spot to stop to the side (a bench, a wall, something like that) and sit and relax for a bit - and look up then. Much less tourist than walking around with a map fully open asking directions while staring skywards.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
You lucky bugger !! :D

Have a brill time :elvis: (prlly more siutable to a trip to vegas, but hey ho :lol: )

1 - 20 of 33 Posts