Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just fitted an IMDU for the winter i wondered is it possible/practical to wire a switch to the +ve so it can be turned on or off at will? Also does having stand offs on the beetle make any difference to this or the carb icing problems?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes, it would be easy enough to switch it. Switch it from a supply that's live when the ignition is on.

I've got mine wired to the +ve side of the coil via a blade fuse, so I can easily remove the fuse to disable it, but I never bother - I just leave it on all the time. No particular reason, just lazy I guess. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, do you leave it on during the summer. I was thinking a switch for the hotter months so i don't have to take it off when the sun comes out. Also, do you think it is ok to switch it and then leave it on for a few mins to warm up before starting for the really cold months or will i not need to?

·
Registered
990 Posts
take the stand offs off for the winter, yes by all means fit a switch. If i want mine off i will just disconnect it and tape the connector up! It really has made a difference to my car running. I took the stand off's off but only for the winter as i dont want a engine bay full of water and leaves.

A very clever invention if u ask me, Simple but clever.

:hangloose

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes, I leave it on during the summer. Not saying I should, I just do.

I don't think switching it on before starting will do any good, but probably no harm. I've only ever experienced carb icing once moving.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I know Big Boys Toys do. Not sure off any other sources.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Moby5153 said:
It uses quite a lot of power so don't leave it on long without the engine running. If you have stock engine/carb set-up you won't need to use it at all.
Unless you have blocked breather risers from what I've seen.

I've just taken the one off the engine out of my bug, stripped it down and unblocked the heat risers.

I have one for sale now ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts