Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK heres the deal......
I've found a split i'm interested in buying, but its in Belgium :rolleyes: ( its a US import bus if that makes any difference )
The bloke says all European duties have been paid on it, so my question is.........
Will i have to pay anything other than shipping cost if I bring it back to the UK ??
Obviously i'll need to Insure, MOT & re-register it in this country but is there anything else I need to do ??
Sorry if this sounds like a load of daft questions, but i've never really looked into buying from abroad untill now :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78,049 Posts
cpt caveman said:
So you're saying, there's no import duty or tax to be paid when you bring a car over from europe then ??
there's nothing to pay within the EU on a used vehicle (some local VAT within Belgium if from a big trader, but you wouldn't be asked to prove that)

but if it hasn't been registered in Belgium yet then make sure you get the original Belgium customs document to show all duty & VAT has been on entry into the EU
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
peelo said:
there's nothing to pay within the EU on a used vehicle (some local VAT within Belgium if from a big trader, but you wouldn't be asked to prove that)

but if it hasn't been registered in Belgium yet then make sure you get the original Belgium customs document to show all duty & VAT has been on entry into the EU
Muchos grassy arse :bandit: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
one thing i will say is be very careful buying abroad, just check it all out as much as you possibly can and if it feels right then go for it. i took the chance and sent 5k to some bloke in america i didnt even know but luckly the van HAS arrived in england, safe and sound, ive just got to wait till friday to see what i swapped 5 k for! im very nervious but at the same time sssssssooooooo excited! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
samthomas33 said:
one thing i will say is be very careful buying abroad, just check it all out as much as you possibly can and if it feels right then go for it. i took the chance and sent 5k to some bloke in america i didnt even know but luckly the van HAS arrived in england, safe and sound, ive just got to wait till friday to see what i swapped 5 k for! im very nervious but at the same time sssssssooooooo excited! :)
I hear what you're saying, & congrats on your bus BTW.

If it was me, I think i'd have been down chatham docks already to check it over :lol:
But I only live about 15 miles from there so its easy for me :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,190 Posts
Kev, have you spoken to Nick? He obviously imported the cheese bus from Belgium, so should know all the necessaries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jabbo said:
Kev, have you spoken to Nick? He obviously imported the cheese bus from Belgium, so should know all the necessaries.
:crazy: Well Spank my arse & call me charlie, why didnt i think of that !!
Cheers dude :D I'll give him a bell tomorrow.
:eek: Just remembered he asked me to give the cheese van a tune up a couple of weeks ago, I'd forgotten all about it :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,980 Posts
Just a point -

I bought a bus from Holland that had originated from the US. K'n'K had imported and paid the duty, and gave me a document detailing this.
When I went to register it, I showed DVLA the docs I had, including its US registration certificate, they then wanted to treat it as an indirect US import, and wouldnt accept the Dutch customs form I had. They isisted in the UK Customs and Excise document. I rang Customs who refused to be interested ...... DVLA insisted, so I was left between a rock and a hard place.
The two departments wouldnt, of course, talk to each other, so eventually I had to write to the Private Transport Unit (C and E) at Dover, who then wrote back saying 'Sorry, not interested this is a EU import', and only then would DVLA register it.
It added a good few weeks and a load of stress into the whole process.

Just worth knowing what can/might happen!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top