Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been looking on ebay.de and there are plenty of bargains to be had over there.

I was wondering if anyone had imported/bought from there and how easy it was....

Wouldnt mind importing a few wedges and t1's but what is involved and how difficult is it........

BigJohn:bandit:

·
Registered
25,881 Posts
westy77 and cookiemonster have both got/had imported vans. not sure if they brought them in themselves or bought them through someone els.e

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
15,966 Posts
You need to go to the Zulassungstelle (registration office) to get some so called five day plates. These include insurance. It would help you immensely if you take a German speaker with you.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
15,966 Posts
You can get it covered by your UK insurer pretty easy i'd imagine, last car i picked up from Germany was a branners AMG, and that was covered by the owners UK insurer.
They let you drive away with the German plates still in place? I´m surprised, since they "belong" to the owner, not the car, as in the UK.

·
Banned
4,064 Posts
i bring in 20 plus cars and vans a year, and if you cant speak german forget it, the number plates belong to the owner and not the car, you have to deregister the plates and then get 5 day plates that cover you for road tax, insurance, and number plates, but doing this requires a lot of time and paper work .
back in the mid 90,s when we use to supply a big camper company called vw junkies, they thought they would cut the middle man out and get over there themselves and do it, long story but he said never again with all the agg, rather go to usa and find them, he,s on here as spooner pm him .
but iam all for having a go if you dont like u.k prices anything is achievable if you put your mind to it.;)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You need to go to the Zulassungstelle (registration office) to get some so called five day plates. These include insurance. It would help you immensely if you take a German speaker with you.
WHS^^^

You can arrange this bit before you go to pick the vehicle up and once that's done the rest is easy. IIRC the 5 day plates cover your insurance but my insurance company insured the camper on the VIN number although I had to pay extra to cover the journey back through Europe. Once back here it was just MOT, fill out the reg forms and visit to the local DVLA office.:)

I know some people who have driven around on the transfer plates for ages once they got back to this country but locally at least, the traffic cops seem to be pulling everything on foreign plates at the mo. so I wouldn't risk it. Not that I did before:)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Just been looking on ebay.de and there are plenty of bargains to be had over there.
Not really. Anything that's genuinely any good will already have at least five UK traders and another 10 privateers on its case, plus they've all caught on to the fact that people in the UK will buy anything and everything, so there's a lot of tarted up crap out there. The only way to do now it is to get out there, speak the lingo, do the miles - the easy 'bandwagen' sped off a long time ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.