Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i stop my bus blowing off the road?

my bay gets blown all over the road when its windy and i been checking out my upgrade options. (its got new van pirellis all round so that should be dandy, everything else ridewise is stock.) i've read about heavy duty front antiroll bars, rear anti-roll bars, polyuretahne torsion grommets, gas shocks etc. etc
to get them all would cost serious poundage. which would gibe the best improvement or is there something else i need to think about?

please help!

·
Registered
406 Posts
yer mines like that if I go too fast (over 50 ) wonder if lowering it might help. Do you lowered bus owners no?
Tried the adjustable Konis which made a much better ride but didn t help much with the wind.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
A3 MXY said:
yer mines like that if I go too fast (over 50 ) wonder if lowering it might help. Do you lowered bus owners no?
Tried the adjustable Konis which made a much better ride but didn t help much with the wind.
my crewcab is lowered and on empi alloys with nice tires, a little wider than standard.
it still gets buffetted by the wind :rolleyes:

·
Registered
124 Posts
no mattter what you do it will get beaten by the wind its a big brick (albeit a very cool brick) on wheels :) mine is lowered and still takes a beating makes life more exciting :D

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
when i drove my old split, my dad in the passenge seat looked over at me and 'told me off' for wiggling the steering wheel about too much :D hahaha!!!

no dad, thats how you drive these things to keep them going in a straight line !!!

i love it !

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so what yawl is saying is i just gotta keep on wrestling the old girl down the road in a crosswind. ok, well i guess theres no chance of you dozing off at the wheel, and its kinda nice to know we're all in the same boat, sorry - brick!
I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for swerving bricks coming the other way!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hey there. Just to add my tuppenceworth. We have two bays, one of which had been lowered and the other hadn't. The un-lowered one was definitely affected more by crosswinds on the motorway than the lowered one. We then got her lowered too and they behave pretty similarly in nasty winds now.

That said, you can make a big difference to how they cope with crosswinds by making sure all the steering components have no slack in them. The previously-lowered bus has some slop in the steering box and it doesn't half make it wiggly at speed! :D

However (I'm nearly finished - honest ;) ) if you're after handling, as opposed to wind-resistance, then DO lower your bus. Cornering ability is dramatically affected by quite a small lowering in ride-height. I'd go for lowering and anti-roll bars as being the priority (assuming your existing shocks are in reasonable nick) and bear in mind that the rear suspension doesn't have an anti-roll bar as standard. So, you can make a fair bit of difference without breaking the bank

Hope that helps

Richard

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers Richard, that is a big help. I was just thinking about all the hightop merc sprinters you see doing a ton on the mway in all weathers. Aint suggesting the ole bus is going to handle like one of those in the wind but surely improvements can be made!!!!
Think i'll check my shocks and torsion bar grommets. If all well a HD anti rollbar maybe followed by another for the back. the lowering will have to wait till i've got some more dough!

·
Registered
97 Posts
You could always buy a Porsche !!

Can't make tea in the back
Can't use the fridger
Can't use the sink to wash up afterwards
Can't lie down for a kip

Can go bloody fast in cross winds though. LOL.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im more worried about slamming into the side of a lorry than making the fastest cup of tea on the m25!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
there's {IMO} another way of helping a bay or a split, drive straighter ;)
it's a lot of work
i'm part way through making my chickensplit drive straighter, if i ever get the thing finnished :eek:

an definately not for the purists out there :moon: :incheek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts