Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've been running my bus like this for a few years now due to the fact i couldn't be bothered removing the brakes etc because the last time i did it on i couldn't get the bloody oil seal to stop leaking.

Anyway when i pull on the offside wheel it slides in and out about 20mm, i notice it more when i pull away without when it clunks as it moves out.

I'm running a splitty box with the ring gear flipped and cb beetle rear disk. Do you think it needs shimming? isn't that hell of a lot of shims if so? or has the drive shaft come out of the gearbox? does it need a spacer at the brake end ?

Any easy fixes or experiences before i attack the job once and for all.

·
Registered
834 Posts
What axles are you using? Long beetle axles with disk conversions need a spacer about 20mm thick between the brake disk and the castle (hub) nut.

Did you do the hub nut up to any kind of torque when you put it together? If you did (were leaning on the breaker bar to do it up) then it can't be a missing spacer there because the nut would be pretty loose. What about the spacer between the bearing and the oil thrower ring inside the bearing housing? Is that there?

Does the van go/see many miles? I'm a bit surprised it hasn't all fallen apart because that is a hell of a lot of slack. There should be 1mm endfloat in the axle at most! Is the bearing ok? Any nasty grinding noises?

Maybe the hub bearing has collapsed but I doubt it's at the gearbox end. If one of the thrust shims in the gearbox (not sure if that's the right name but they go between the flat faces on the axle ends and the slots that the axles ride in in the gearbox) falls over and prevents the axle seating properly then it will feel like you have too many shims but I haven't heard of something like what you have before.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cb disk brake kit to be honest it isn't fantastic and when i took the nearside off and put that back together to sort out the seal leak i had know idea want should have been there( no instructions) As for miles well I'd say I've done over 10k like that i know it seems mad but it's just kept going. I think I'm going to have the take the hub off and take a look. Think I'm on long axles lets just hope i haven't got one of each:confused:

·
Registered
834 Posts
SSP/VW Heritage used to sell the spacers used in the EMPI kit for long axles seperately. I can't find them on the online catalogue now but it might be worth ringing them up if you are stuck. I just remember because when I was putting rear disks on my long axled bug SSP charged extra for the spacers (£10) whereas most other places threw them in for free. At the time (2 years ago) EMPI kits were all that was available (and only in 4 stud or porsche pattern) but the instructions pointed out that if you have long axles you need the spacers due to the extra length, otherwise the castle nut would run out of thread on the axle before it had torqued the bearing down sufficiently so I imagine that all rear disk kits are the same.

I woould be surprised if 10000 miles hasn't caused any damage but i imagine it will be limited to the rear wheel bearings (and it will be both sides if you have two long axles) because they have not been held firmly as they require. Once you have the spacers take the bearing cover plates off and have a look to see if they look worn. If so then replace, if not then they may wear out sooner than expected. Check for wear and distortion to the ball bearing cage that holds the ball bearings between the two races.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts