Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked this up about 18 months ago as a project, and set about giving it the german look treatment - though my student finances were not up to the job last summer and i needed a car for work, so i ended up just getting the car on the road... heres what i ended up with by bugjam

Quite a flattering photo, but shes a bit of a rough ol' girl so time for a good working over now i have time and money! been stripping her down over the last week (wahey!)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Heres the obligatory 'BugSelecta' pic, colour scheme based on a 911 turbo i saw in manchester... need to find out that paint code!

But, first things first - gotta keep the rust away before the 1303 rots away before my very eyes..!

Today task... attacking this >>>

With these (after a quick call to ScrewFix!) >>>

To find this, daylight coming through my floor - bugger >>>

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Nice ride, the german look suits it ;)
Yeh looks like you need a new pan half!? Well if you decide to replace the pan, get the heavy duty ones from VW Heritage(Bright orange) they are by far the best quality and fit.
Good luck
Alex

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YOUR BUGSELECTA PIC LOOKS LIKE THAT 2.3 SUPERCHARD 1303 THAT BURNT OUT A FEW YEARS BACK - WILL B AWESOME!

sorry for caps
yeah Dave Forders Landy supercharged one - I loved that car, its pretty much the reason i like 1303s so much! Poor bloke though, the time and effort, not to mention the money, that went into that car - gutted..

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well as far as the pan half goes, stripped it right back to metal and found the rest of it to be good and solid, even the battery tray - gave it a good stabbing with a screwdriver and it passed the test. I havent budget time or money for taking the body off, so think i'll weld a new bit of floor in...

yesterday i moved on to cleaning up the inner wings while i decided what to do with the floor... Before>

During clean up with the angle grinders, grim job that.. as you can see, its had a lot of welding done in the past - i was aware of this when i bought it, but still i was glad to be able to check the quality was ok (if a bit messy)>

After a couple of coats of RustBullet, used as a rust preventative treatment. similar to POR15 but i prefer it>

Shiny! not worried about going over onto the paint as its getting a full respray - having seen how much welding its already had, im not to worried about just patching up the floor... more to come!

·
Registered
349 Posts
yeah Dave Forders Landy supercharged one - I loved that car, its pretty much the reason i like 1303s so much! Poor bloke though, the time and effort, not to mention the money, that went into that car - gutted..
That was on the front cover of VolksWorld wasn't it?

What happened to it then?:confused:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, that was the first ever VolksWorld i bought... as far as i remember, he had it in his garage to look at something and was under the car with an inspection lamp - he left the car for a moment... unknown to him it had developed a small, un-noticable petrol leak, which found its way onto the inspection lamp... the fire took out the car and some of his house i think... very bad luck...

Or thats the way i heard it/read it - in a more recent volksworld i think...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Assessed the floor pan situation, gonna go ahead and patch it - if its rubbish then i'll fit a new pan half (Alex, cheers for the heads up about VW Heritages pans). got the grinder out and cut the rotten bit out, plus a fair bit extra to get rid of all the crappy metal..

Set about taking the rust off the pan, Dyson vacuum came in very handy - best keep that one quiet though ;)

and finished it off with a few coats of RustBullet...

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
yeah, that was the first ever VolksWorld i bought... as far as i remember, he had it in his garage to look at something and was under the car with an inspection lamp - he left the car for a moment... unknown to him it had developed a small, un-noticable petrol leak, which found its way onto the inspection lamp... the fire took out the car and some of his house i think... very bad luck...

Or thats the way i heard it/read it - in a more recent volksworld i think...
haha thats funny it was the first vworld i baught -and got me into german lookers - ive not looked back since :p

you're right it was a petrol leak and inspecton lamp - but i thought he was still in the pit under the car n he got away with minor burns - or maybe ive made that up lol but i swear i read that! again in a volksworld about a year ago - burnt all his trophies too!

loved the ruf alloys but cant remember much about the brakes or suspension!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got on with removing the old rear valance - gonna make it removable for easy access and fitting/removal of the engine. For anyone wanting to do this, i have plenty of pics on how to do it.

Spot welds drilled out using a spot weld drill bit, means that the bodywork underneath isnt full of holes afterwards (as long as your careful!) then use an old chisel to tease the panels apart

as long as you've got all the spot welds drilled out, the panel comes off really easy - unless like mine one corner has had a repair piece welded over it and onto the bodywork :rolleyes:

And the engine just slides in here, dead easy, no jacking the car up really high to drag the engine out, no messing about!

Got a new valance on order from VW Heritage, so will modify that so it can simply be attached using the same bolts as the wings.

Thats all for a few days, got an exam at uni on monday so its revision time!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This is gonna be awesomeeee:)

How long you gonna spend on it?:)
Cheers for the interest everyone!

I'm gonna put as much time as possible into it, and hopefully have it on the road in by august - as long as i dont find any horrors...

the car has had quite a bit of welding in the past, its not going to be a concourse show mobile with out a lot more work than the car is worth. I just want to make it into a solid and tidy german styler that is good the drive and looks sweet!

got a load of suspension on the way, inc a CSP torque bar for the back, sports springs and lowering struts, poly bushes and a beefed up anti-roll bar. I also have a full set of vented discs and big calipers off a porsche 944 wait to be fitted along with Boxster alloys (rim width and offset well suited to a bug). depending on how much the porsche brakes and wheels widens the tracking, i'll either order some GRP wings from Day Mouldings, or some flared Gfk ones from germany... mainly this fat chick is going on a diet, aiming to remove plenty of weight so it will accelerate and handle well.

Engine wise, for now i'm trying to get my wasserboxer cranked type 1 motor off to Laurie Pettit, the guy who originated this conversion , for a rebuild. it will be running a 1776 with CNC heads and twin Dells.

Watch this space!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New Parts! fresh across the atlantic - poly bushes for the suspension, HD anti-roll bar, lowering struts, tapered stiff sports springs, and my favourite.. CSP torque bar kit, only really got this because they are so nicely made!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Today - the driver side door is in a bad way, rusted out at the bottom, hinge pins very loose, dodgy winder mech and door catch... so off it comes

The i fitted the replacement which is in much better condition

But then found that the top hing pin on this door is loose too :mad: so still got a saggy door...

gonna have to come up with some ingenious solution to that problem...

Cleaned up a load of suspension and brake parts, here are the 944 hubs and vented discs after stripping, grot removing and reassembly

Then had to break off to do some work on this>>>

(our '61 in the background)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was given the idea of ducting the cool, turbulent air from the gearbox area through to the engine bay for a bit of extra cooling - the guy who gave me the idea said he'd done it to quite a few and had good results. Also I wanted a reason to fit a NACA duct...

the air is ducted up through the luggage space floor and out through the rear bulkhead - first, mark up, measure twice>

Cut once! here i purposely didnt cut enough off to allow plenty of metal left to match to the shape of the duct

Then put two pilot holes through the bulkhead, sealed the duct with epoxy and riveted it in place - need to find some 70mm hose and some way of fixing it to the bulkhead, once i'v figured that out i'll cut the holes

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Been storming ahead again this weekend now my exams are done. despite the rain... hit my first major stumbing block too, i'll come to that in a mo. Stripping, cleaning and painting...

Lowering struts assembled, with shortened bump stops (NOW FOR SALE!!!)

had to get all the old bushes out of the control arms to be replaced with my new polyurethane ones... absolute sod of a job!

My new really expensive conversion ball joints fitted, 17mm dia shaft to fit 944 spindles

Painted up and with main poly bushes pressed in

Its looking pretty mega...

but oh, whats this? Bollocks.

because the 944 suspension camber adjustment is on the spindle, the strut mounting bolt hole position is a bit different - so when mounted to a beetle strut the camber is way out. i thought i'd be able to adjust it out with the beetle camber adjuster, but as they say in the trade, its well on the p*ss...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
FAO ANYONE PLANNING TO CONVERT A 1303 TO 944 BRAKES

You'll hear a lot of people say that the 944 brakes bolt straight on to a late 1303, in essence this is true but there are a lot of little adjustment that need to be made - and some big limiting factors.

I have been finding this stuff out as and when i have been fitting parts - so here is a list of the little mods required to make it work (only late 1303 with 2 bolt strut):

You need conversion ball joints to get the 944 spindles to attach to your track control arms - these are stupidly expensive. (machine 7/csp/l.a.p)

Anti-Bump steer kit fitted to the spindle steering arms - the 944 track rod mounts the other way up to that of a 1303, if you fit the track rods upside down (ie: straight onto the 944 spindles) you'll prbably get clearance problems between the track rod and anti-roll bar.

the ball joint locking bolts on the 944 spindles are M10, not M8 like beetle ones - High tensile M10 ones must be used, these are a standard VW part "ball joint pinch bolt" available from auto factors - they cost me £5 for a pair :eek:.

Special 'swan neck' levers are required to make the handbrakes work with beetle handbrake cables. (make, or order from veedubengineering in canada)

The hubs and brakes will widen your tracking, how much depends on which year of and combination of porsche parts you use.

And my current issue. getting the correct wheel camber when using the 944 spindles... some people elongate the top hole of the bracket on the strut, i'm not keen on this - I made some hybrid 944/1303 struts by combining the 944 strut with beetle springs and beetle top mount. Sorted.

Only some 944 spindles have a hole for mechanical speedo cable (pre '86 normally aspirated, i think)

Early 944 rear bearing covers/caliper mounts need long bolts, the beetle ones are too short

I'll add to this as i find more little issues

my hidden costs have run up to £140... i only paid £125 for the entire 944 setup, inc struts...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts