Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a long shot posting this here.

I was charged with ABH late last year and it went to court. Before the actual trial started in Crown Court I stupidly skipped bail and didnít turn up for court. I know that a warrant was issued after that and thatís still out there now.

Iíve decided that I want to go back and get things sorted out. Iím 23 and have my first kid on the way with my girlfriend. I have a suspended sentence from a previous conviction and the solicitor I had then told me I could be looking at about 3 years.

The thought of going to prison freaked me out nd that made me get away last time. I am speaking to a solicitor about all this later on week but in the meantime am wondering if anybody would know any of the following:

*If I go back does anybody know if I have chance of getting bail with stricter conditions or would I end up on remand?
*If I get remanded in custody does this time count towards the actual sentence?
* Are the likely to take into account the fact that I have a baby due in January and would like to be there at the time?

Also if anybody can give me an idea of what to expect if the worst happens and I get sentenced especially what happens on the first day and what I need to be ready for. I am worried about ending up in prison, not knowing what to expect and not knowing what to do. Some stuff I have read says itís not too bad when you get there but Iíve also seen about the assaults and the suicides and am worried about that.

Any info appreciated.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
12,127 Posts
it went to crown then....don't pick the soap up ;)

yep
yep
no

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
*If I go back does anybody know if I have chance of getting bail with stricter conditions or would I end up on remand?

Not a hope in hell of getting bail again.

*If I get remanded in custody does this time count towards the actual sentence?

Yes

* Are the likely to take into account the fact that I have a baby due in January and would like to be there at the time?

Possibly but not very likely as you'll not only be up for the abh charge but also for skipping bail and failing to show up in court.

Your only hope is that there'll be no places left in Britains jails and they have to give you community service or something similar. Once again that's not very likely as your up for a violent crime.

·
Beaver Las Vegas
3,662 Posts
best thing you can do is ring ya solicitor , make an appointment , get ya arse into their office and then make an appointment at your local police station.its down to damage limitation now by the sound of it, you get stopped in ya car for anything dumb arse and do a PNC they will execute the warrant issued by the bench and lift you there and then .
as for bail ? i would say very slim , there are lots of variables previous behaviour/likelihood to reoffend whilst on bail/risk to victim/risk to public/likelihood of breaching bail conditions/seriousness of offence . i would say if (1) you committed offence whilst you had suspended over you (2) failure to appear (3) seriousness of present index offence you dont have much chance , but im not a solicitor or bench but in my 14yrs experience i would say dont be too hopeful.
as for remand time ? it used to be the old half sentance ie 12 months serve 6 and if you had remand this was deducted before sentanced was halved . ie if you had 1 month remand time it would be 12 - 1 = 11 months halved = 5 1/2 to serve. remand time has changed now and it is given back by the court , not by the prison , sol will fill you in .
they take eveything into account/mitigation/ pre sentance report (some wankey probation officer who you never met has 30 mins to do your life history) thing that fucks you up is offence committed with suspended (although discretion not to activate if unrelated offence) seriousness of offence and lack/breach of trust (skipping bail)
as for prison , PM me ya number and will ring ya , can give you as much/little you need to know in laymans terms , first hand with no whistles and bells , just how it is! also tell ya how to keep ya head above water and to make best of bad job ! stay cool :elvis:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
be more worried baout the skipping bail than the first offence. I got a GBH into crown court and got 9 months. With a considerably violent past taken into account.

The thing that did it for me was being locked up and told what to do not what other people were like. Haven't been back since.

You seem to have some perspective with the baby en route, whatever happens learn from it and don't go back again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
What an amazing first post on a VW chat forum :eek: I guess you are a regular user that has re-registered just for this post?

Either way good luck, I agree with all the above and I would say that skipping bail was just as bad as your original crime! Hope things get sorted as you have a baby on the way! If you do go down, stay focused and think of your g/f and baby ;)

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
You'll get arrested as soon as you hand yourself in (it's procedure).

You'll then go on remand until the court is ready for your trial. As you've already absconded, there's not a hope in hell you'll get bail unfortunately.

The time spent in remand will be deducted from any sentence you get.

If you plead guilty you'll automatically recieve a third off any sentence (I'm sure it's still the same).

I'd advise you get a steady job, and try living cleanly for a while. If only to prove that you're trying to do the best for you and the baby. This might help (as opposed to being unemployed with no fixed abode). And make sure you show some remorse.

Take care bud, hope it goes well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice - do appreciate it.

Just as I thought it would be about little chance of getting bail. I thought turning up myself might help that but it seems not.

The advice about getting on with life and steady job and that is what I was thinking about and that's what holding me back from going back to the cops. That's what I would like to do so it would look good in court but if I go back I'll probably get locked up straight away which won't help. The longer I just keep on going as normal the more the chance that I will get picked up.

I'm pretty freaked about the prison thing and what it's gonna be like. I know it's not like in the movies and over here there isn't all that shit about what goes on in the showers or whatever but it's hard to think about doing the right thing when that's whats on offer. Might take you up on that offer Elvis. Thanks.

·
Beaver Las Vegas
3,662 Posts
no worries fella , all i can say is get this squared away ASAP as it wont go away! no doubt you will be given loads of 'expert' advice by everyone from family/friends to anonymous people on forums ;) best advice i can give ? GET PROFESSIONAL ADVICE ASAP . as previous ,worst scenario at mo is you to be stopped with a dodgy tail light and your fucked , police cells overnight , mag next morning , jail for tea!take control of situation before it takes control of you. stay cool :elvis:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
when you go down, stay away from that big black dude that stands in the shower room asking 'do you wanna be mummy or daddy?' :incheek:

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
You've done two crimes, now you have to the the time. The sooner you start getting this sorted out the sooner you will be out again.

Suggest you use the time inside to study/learn and get some quals that will get you into a better job when you get out.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Maybe if you didnt KEEP breaking the law beating people up, breaking bail etc you wouldnt be in this situation to start with.
Oh yeah.............

"boy You got a pretty mouth" (in a deep southern american accent).

Hope the outcome isnt too harsh. For your families sake.

Might make you stop and think next time. :hangloose

·
Banned
18,437 Posts
Man this is the wierdest thread i have ever read

Were is the pc crew :eek:

Shure they will b along soon

And as for the topic ..........i have no opnion yer digs yer hole yer lies in it :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 126 Posts